Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS Signature ASPCBCS Signature VSPQuestionsSignatures

authentication services18972

Collector donho private msg quote post Address this user
Does services like beckett, jsa , and autograph coa, count as genuine and cbcs wouldnt need to verify? If I am asking this right. I am going to a local con where michael golden is going to and some others and I was wondering. since jsa will be there. and beckett i know are the overlords of cbcs also. but in general for the question. thank you
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Whammykablam private msg quote post Address this user
They'll need to authenticate it when you send it in.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
@donho i dont THINK CGC or CBCS takes an already certified autograph on a comic at face value. CBCS will require you to pay for verification and (I dont beleive CGC offers a "send in your signed book for us to authenticate" yet.)

Im going to ft lauderdale con next week (Golden will be there also) and am very lucky to have "OneStopComicShop" there also to witness and take my submissions.
Post 3 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
If CBCS isn't going to be there, you will need to find out if Beckett is able to witness, or as you said...if anyone else there is authorized to witness.

Not sure you'll get an answer here but it's far better than trying customer service, but you might be stuck waiting 'til you get there and asking Beckett what they know.

CGC gonna be there ?
Post 4 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
When verifying signatures, any and all pre-existing COA's are meaningless to CBCS. There is no point in sending the COA's to CBCS as they will not be considered or even looked at.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Yep next month Michael Golden in Missouri I’ll need a CBCS witness person also. It’s a smaller con.

Do they still let people witness their on books if you are approved? I use to be one in the past.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC you are correct.

Although it boggles my mind that cgc or cbcs does not take "becket" "PSA" or "JSA" certifications though as they ALL can be verified on their online systems as legit...

Maybe a tag line on the label "Becket Autograph certified # XYZ123" or "JSA Certified Autograph # XYZ123".

Ive got some rather nice certified autos (not comic book related though) that people live and die by these big 3 certification companies...

Post 7 IP   flag post
@Zombie_Head

I have heard yes. BUT you must be approved prior. And "i've heard" getting approved now-a-days is very difficult. For what its worth...
Post 8 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@multi007 I think it's probably because any COA's can be reproduced fairly easily. I'm not sure how Becket or PSA or JSA online systems work but if I can look it up, it likely means I can reproduce the information.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@multi007 I think it's probably because any COA's can be reproduced fairly easily. I'm not sure how Becket or PSA or JSA online systems work but if I can look it up, it likely means I can reproduce the information.
if you can forge a signature, you can forge a coa. Also the coa is just a general certification not for a specific book. You could easily put a coa from book to another book
Post 10 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by multi007
@GAC you are correct.

Although it boggles my mind that cgc or cbcs does not take "becket" "PSA" or "JSA" certifications though as they ALL can be verified on their online systems as legit...

Maybe a tag line on the label "Becket Autograph certified # XYZ123" or "JSA Certified Autograph # XYZ123".

Ive got some rather nice certified autos (not comic book related though) that people live and die by these big 3 certification companies...

I think that would be a great tool for both grading companies, putting the psa/dna certification numbers on the label. They could easily charge for that
Post 11 IP   flag post

psa/dna was able to verify both signatures inside the slab.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector obiwan1971 private msg quote post Address this user
@multi007 they don’t take Beckett, JSA or PSA because there are photos that all the companies have put stickers on that are fake. Most recently Beckett with Ian Mckellen, JSA & PSA have had plenty in the past. It’s always better to judge the autograph not the COA regardless of the company
Post 13 IP   flag post
@obiwan1971 (then the entire system is flawed. heck, even the witnesses can be flawed too...)

But with the big three, they take pictures of the item, register it with their website, upload the photos to their website, and then you can compare the cert # to the autograph.

this kind of verification is impossible to fake...

https://www.spenceloa.com/verify-authenticity/results?certificateNumber=xx95918

even if i get a photo, and have a "damn good forger" forge these 5 autographs, there is no way in hell they will match up to the photo on the link I provided above.

ps. my autographs above are authenticated by jas - and there's no sticker on them. it comes with a letter of authentication. can that letter be faked? yes. but is that letter the proof of authentication? nope. the upload and registration is proof of authentication
Post 14 IP   flag post
@GAC a "coa" can be faked sure. but a authenticated certification with the # and photo uploaded to beckette, psa, or jsa its impossible to fake.

if it was possible to fake that upload process, then it would be possible to fake a cgc ss slab. and we know that's not possible either.
Post 15 IP   flag post
@Batman66 THIS is a good example of what I was talking about. You have that letter, AND you have the photo that was uploaded to PSA's website with the book and autograph. The size of the signature, the placement of the signature can not possibly be faked. (just imaging how impossible it would be to place each letter of the name exactly where it is in the verified photo... its just impossible)
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector obiwan1971 private msg quote post Address this user
@multi007 only certain autographs get a full letter. Only full letters have a photo. I have plenty of certified autographs that only have a card or sticker and when you look it up all that is there is the name of the person that signed it. There isn’t a photo of the item. Only company I know that does photos of every item they very is ACOA
Post 17 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Just today I got Pandora #1 from Midtown comics signed by Frank Miller & Emma Kubert with a Midtown COA.
I also know he did a signing there a couple weeks ago.

All that said, I'd put down good money on the authenticity of those 2 autographs & COA. Midtown's entire reputation is at stake.

But we'll always have those with the canned line "yea but how do you really know?" 🙄
Post 18 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Trust but verify.
Post 19 IP   flag post
@obiwan1971 yes true. You need to pay extra for the letter.

But you can contact the psa, Beckett or jsa and say “ I have a sticker, WANT a letter. How much?”

and since we’re talking about comics, you would only want a letter, and not a sticker.

I’m very impressed that psa was able to authenticate that comic while it was in the slab.
Post 20 IP   flag post
In God We Trust, anything else involving people has some level of risk

- Deming

(I may have altered that phrase a bit 😳)
Post 21 IP   flag post
Just came across this. COA and "signed by Stan Lee" is on the label, but without a yellow label.

Maybe I'm overreacting but I find this label information to be extraordinarily slimy and sleazy from CGC.
They were careful not to use the canned wording for authenticated signatures; but sheesh... "signed by Stan Lee". That's really on the edge of deception and I find this unacceptable. Whatever happened to "name written on cover". Isn't that what it is unless it's authenticated. Ohhhhhh ... right Desert Wind... you get the little wink and a nod with the COA. This is a poor CGC decision imo.

Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
the problem isnt that they even bother to take the online registration, they just remove the sticker and place it on another item.....often one that similarly matches the worded description on the online registration.

Mickey mantle signature, photograph

Simple enough to remove the sticker from a valid item , place it on a fake mantle and off to the races. It happens alot.Often people dont bother checking the actual regustry and if they do and its not a picture registration, it can be faked in this manner.

The major names, JSA, PSA and so forth have all at one time or another been manipulated in this fashion
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Just came across this. COA and "signed by Stan Lee" is on the label, but without a yellow label.

Maybe I'm overreacting but I find this label information to be extraordinarily slimy and sleazy from CGC.
They were careful not to use the canned wording for authenticated signatures; but sheesh... "signed by Stan Lee". That's really on the edge of deception and I find this unacceptable. Whatever happened to "name written on cover". Isn't that what it is unless it's authenticated. Ohhhhhh ... right Desert Wind... you get the little wink and a nod with the COA. This is a poor CGC decision imo.

If I'm interpreting that COA correctly isn't the error that the label should be yellow? If Desert Wind are authorized CGC signature witnesses then I'm assuming the only mistake here is the colour of the label....this is assuming Desert Wind are actually recognized by CGC as authorized signature witnesses.....maybe I'm wrong.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
If I'm interpreting that COA correctly isn't the error that the label should be yellow? If Desert Wind are authorized CGC signature witnesses then I'm assuming the only mistake here is the colour of the label....this is assuming Desert Wind are actually recognized by CGC as authorized signature witness.....maybe I'm wrong.

I didn't see it that way, but you might be right.
What I saw it as is Stan's autograph (for whatever reason) was not witnessed.

I hope you're right. I can handle a mistake. Lord knows they make enough of them.
If it's the latter, that really is not good.
Post 25 IP   flag post
The purposeful parentheses around "Stan Lee" make me extremely suspicious.

A typical yellow label within my non-memory memory goes something like this: Signed by Stan Lee
This blue label is: Signed by "Stan Lee" with marker.

Why put the parentheses around Stan Lee? Why mention in Marker?
It's like they're hinting it's a defect (with the marker comment and the "Stan Lee" in parentheses), but also hinting it's legit
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
If I'm interpreting that COA correctly isn't the error that the label should be yellow? If Desert Wind are authorized CGC signature witnesses then I'm assuming the only mistake here is the colour of the label....this is assuming Desert Wind are actually recognized by CGC as authorized signature witness.....maybe I'm wrong.

I didn't see it that way, but you might be right.
What I saw it as is Stan's autograph (for whatever reason) was not witnessed.

I hope you're right. I can handle a mistake. Lord knows they make enough of them.
If it's the latter, that really is not good.

If it's the latter then the word "signed" should not appear anywhere on that label and that would be problematic if that's the case. They would need to explain when they use "name written..." and "signed" (but no yellow label)...then again, this is the company that graded invisible books so who knows.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:

A typical yellow label within my non-memory memory goes something like this: Signed by Stan Lee

It's like they're hinting it's a defect (with the marker comment and the "Stan Lee" in parentheses), but also hinting it's legit

very good points/observations!!

This is the first and only book I've seen like this.....are there others? If there aren't others, this must be an error label.in some way....if there are other books like this then something has changed (or they're all error books).
Post 28 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

very good points/observations!!

This is the first and only book I've seen like this.....are there others? If there aren't others, this must be an error label.in some way....if there are other books like this then something has changed (or they're all error books).

Yes, there are others. The ones I have seen typically note a signature on the first page. The name is in quotation marks because that is exactly what is written on the book. It is a defect with a notation on a blue label. As pointed out, if it were a yellow, witnessed label, there wouldn't be any quotation marks as it would have been a witnessed signature and not "graffiti."
Post 29 IP   flag post
All this said, this label is extraordinarily deceiptful.
It even has many of us not understanding.

Shame on CGC for how this has been labeled.
"Name written on cover" would have been the content that would demonstrate integrity; like all other names.

The submitter, imo, had a little "in" with CGC with this sub.
Post 30 IP   flag post
598081 39 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?