Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS Signature ASPCBCS Signature VSPQuestionsSignatures

authentication services18972

I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
The purposeful parentheses around "Stan Lee" make me extremely suspicious.

A typical yellow label within my non-memory memory goes something like this: Signed by Stan Lee
This blue label is: Signed by "Stan Lee" with marker.

Why put the parentheses around Stan Lee? Why mention in Marker?
It's like they're hinting it's a defect (with the marker comment and the "Stan Lee" in parentheses), but also hinting it's legit
Post 26 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
If I'm interpreting that COA correctly isn't the error that the label should be yellow? If Desert Wind are authorized CGC signature witnesses then I'm assuming the only mistake here is the colour of the label....this is assuming Desert Wind are actually recognized by CGC as authorized signature witness.....maybe I'm wrong.

I didn't see it that way, but you might be right.
What I saw it as is Stan's autograph (for whatever reason) was not witnessed.

I hope you're right. I can handle a mistake. Lord knows they make enough of them.
If it's the latter, that really is not good.

If it's the latter then the word "signed" should not appear anywhere on that label and that would be problematic if that's the case. They would need to explain when they use "name written..." and "signed" (but no yellow label)...then again, this is the company that graded invisible books so who knows.
Post 27 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

A typical yellow label within my non-memory memory goes something like this: Signed by Stan Lee

It's like they're hinting it's a defect (with the marker comment and the "Stan Lee" in parentheses), but also hinting it's legit

very good points/observations!!

This is the first and only book I've seen like this.....are there others? If there aren't others, this must be an error label.in some way....if there are other books like this then something has changed (or they're all error books).
Post 28 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

very good points/observations!!

This is the first and only book I've seen like this.....are there others? If there aren't others, this must be an error label.in some way....if there are other books like this then something has changed (or they're all error books).

Yes, there are others. The ones I have seen typically note a signature on the first page. The name is in quotation marks because that is exactly what is written on the book. It is a defect with a notation on a blue label. As pointed out, if it were a yellow, witnessed label, there wouldn't be any quotation marks as it would have been a witnessed signature and not "graffiti."
Post 29 IP   flag post
All this said, this label is extraordinarily deceiptful.
It even has many of us not understanding.

Shame on CGC for how this has been labeled.
"Name written on cover" would have been the content that would demonstrate integrity; like all other names.

The submitter, imo, had a little "in" with CGC with this sub.
Post 30 IP   flag post

I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Just came across this. COA and "signed by Stan Lee" is on the label, but without a yellow label.

Maybe I'm overreacting but I find this label information to be extraordinarily slimy and sleazy from CGC.
They were careful not to use the canned wording for authenticated signatures; but sheesh... "signed by Stan Lee". That's really on the edge of deception and I find this unacceptable. Whatever happened to "name written on cover". Isn't that what it is unless it's authenticated. Ohhhhhh ... right Desert Wind... you get the little wink and a nod with the COA. This is a poor CGC decision imo.

I had Stan Lee sign a book for me in New Orleans Desert Wind put on I watch Stan sign it and I sent it in to get Verified and it failed so I don’t think I’d send it in for a verification. I know mine is real and I know Desert Winds did have Stan in New Orleans at Wizard signing. So I’m sure yours is real also.
Post 31 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Just came across this. COA and "signed by Stan Lee" is on the label, but without a yellow label.

Maybe I'm overreacting but I find this label information to be extraordinarily slimy and sleazy from CGC.
They were careful not to use the canned wording for authenticated signatures; but sheesh... "signed by Stan Lee". That's really on the edge of deception and I find this unacceptable. Whatever happened to "name written on cover". Isn't that what it is unless it's authenticated. Ohhhhhh ... right Desert Wind... you get the little wink and a nod with the COA. This is a poor CGC decision imo.

If I'm interpreting that COA correctly isn't the error that the label should be yellow? If Desert Wind are authorized CGC signature witnesses then I'm assuming the only mistake here is the colour of the label....this is assuming Desert Wind are actually recognized by CGC as authorized signature witnesses.....maybe I'm wrong.

When I got mine signed Desert Winds was working with CGC but at that time I didn’t own any slabs and wasn’t into slabbing books. Now I wish I would have let CGC slab it just for the verification of the signature.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Normally they would say "signed Stan Lee"
Post 33 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkseid_of_town the problem with your suggestion is that the mickey mantle autograph didnt come with a "sticker". (although i guess it doesnt matter for this discussion)...

what matters is this - is someone out there that darn good a forger to get the same photograph, and sign mickey mantles names, letter by letter, exactly same pitch and distance and size from each other, EXACTLY on the same spot on the same photograph? Its more than just "removing the sticker and putting it on another photo"... its all what i said as well.

It just isnt possible. AND its all verifyable on the PSA, JSA and Beckett websites. CGC and CBCS can certainly verify this and put the book in a slab with yellow label and say "PSA Authenticated certificate # XYZ123" etc.
Post 34 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Identical signatures is one way of spotting a forgery. No one signs their name exactly the same way no matter how much practice they've had.
Post 35 IP   flag post
example
Post 36 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
example

I wonder if someone just for kicks... wrote "Bozo" on the cover.
So would CGC say "Bozo written on cover"? hmmmmm
Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
example

I wonder if someone just for kicks... wrote "Bozo" on the cover.
So would CGC say "Bozo written on cover"? hmmmmm

You can try and see what happens
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:
You can try and see what happens

How about "CGC is incompetent". Now THAT would be cool!
Post 39 IP   flag post
600790 39 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?