Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

CBCScary Horror/Sci-fi Thread of Comics and Movies18962

Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Post 1 IP   flag post
Just because of the cast, this looks like it will be the most fun...

RENFIELD Official Trailer (2023) Nicolas Cage Vampire Horror Movie

Post 2 IP   flag post
Michael Giacchino Will Direct A Remake of THEM! For Warner Bros.
Get ready to gawk at some big-ass ants.
BY SCOTT WAMPLER JANUARY 5, 2023, 10:56 AM EST

Sometimes, the trades will announce a new feature film that you never, ever saw coming, and the news that Oscar-winning composer Michael Giacchino (fresh off directing Marvel's Werewolf by Night) will helm a remake of the 1954 giant ant movie Them! for Warner Bros. certainly counts as one of those kinda announcements.

Says Deadline, who broke the story last night:

"Oscar-winning Up composer Michael Giacchino will make his big-screen directing debut with a reboot of the 1954 sci-fi man-eating monster movie Them! at Warner Bros. Giacchino is meeting with writers in hopes of getting the production up quite soon."
For those of you who aren't familiar with the Gordon Douglas-directed original, Them! concerned a nest of gigantic, irradiated ants being discovered in the New Mexico desert. Two of the ants, young queens, escape their habitat in the hopes of setting up new colonies, which results in all hell breaking loose and eventually spilling over into the streets of Los Angeles. It's the quintessential 1950's B-movie, the sort of thing you might be surprised to learn that William Castle didn't direct.

Says Giacchino:

“There’s always a movie in your mind that never leaves your head. For me, that’s Them! It wasn’t until much later in life until I learned what it was about — the nuclear age."
He adds:

“What I love about Them! is exactly what it’s called: Them! It’s about the other, the unknown which one refuses or can’t understand. The current version of Them! is about immigration, and to tell a story about the subject through a lens of this insane science fiction monster movie."
Given how thoroughly Giacchino knocked Werewolf by Night outta the park for Marvel, it's hard not to be excited about this! A new giant insects movie, brought to life with modern technology by a guy who's a dyed-in-the-wool geek for this sorta monster movie mayhem. We're just as curious to see which screenwriter lands this particular job as we are to see the final product.

Nothing further to report on Them! at this time, but we will of course be keeping our ear to the ground for further updates as it works its way through production. Stay tuned for those, folks.

Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Zombiebigfoot private msg quote post Address this user
@OGJackster
I’m 100% in agreement about Renfield! The story told from his POV looks like it’s going to be a fun & refreshing change of pace. 😁👍🏻
Post 4 IP   flag post
The First EVIL DEAD RISE (Red-Band) Trailer Is Here
Is this franchise about to go five-for-five? It certainly seems that way.
BY SCOTT WAMPLER JANUARY 4, 2023, 12:06 PM EST

Yesterday, we got our very first look at footage from Lee Cronin's Evil Dead Rise, the fifth chapter in the long-running Evil Dead series. Sure, it was less than 30 seconds' worth of footage, and yeah, the whole thing mostly served to tease the fact that the first full-length trailer would be along today, but even so, we could not help but get unreasonably excited. It's a new Evil Dead movie, for god's sake - how could we not?

Well, it's 24 hours later, and as promised (by Bruce Campbell himself), we've got the first full-length Evil Dead Rise trailer to share with you. Let's take a look...

Holy shit. This looks great! Yesterday's teaser involved Bruce Campbell (onboard here only as a producer) saying that Evil Dead Rise would be the scariest entry in the franchise yet, and ... well, for one thing, it certainly looks terrifying. For another, that anarchic, sometimes goofy Raimi spirit also seems to be well-preserved by Cronin and company. Did you catch that bit with the cheese grater? Good lord.

In case anything in that trailer was unclear, here's an official plot synopsis:

“In the fifth Evil Dead film, a road-weary Beth pays an overdue visit to her older sister Ellie, who is raising three kids on her own in a cramped L.A apartment. The sisters’ reunion is cut short by the discovery of a mysterious book deep in the bowels of Ellie’s building, giving rise to flesh-possessing demons, and thrusting Beth into a primal battle for survival as she is faced with the most nightmarish version of motherhood imaginable.”
Lee Cronin's Evil Dead Rise - starring Alyssa Sutherland, Lily Sullivan, Gabrielle Echols, Morgan Davis and Nell Fisher - hits theaters on April 21st. Stay tuned for further updates on this one as we draw ever closer to that release date!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
@OGJackster
I love a good horror movie, and horror comedies can be so incredibly entertaining. Renfield looks like so much fun. I must see that. Also, I've gotten tired of Nicholas Cage's overacting, but this is a role where that will actually be appropriate.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I have mixed feelings about Them!, though. I absolutely love that movie, and I don't see why it needs a re-make. Sure, they can make CGI giant ants, but what for? They already looked pretty good as a practical effect back in the 50's. Plus, the Cold War context will be gone, as will the nuclear fallout context. I'll confess I'm not quite seeing the point.
Post 7 IP   flag post
It's chicken Monday. Rush_is_a_band private msg quote post Address this user
Eight Legged Freaks was the perfect (non) remake of THEM!

Love them both.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush_is_a_band
Eight Legged Freaks was the perfect (non) remake of THEM!

Love them both.

Oh, yes! That's how it's done! Eight-Legged Freaks is a blast.

Yes, I like giant bug movies. And Godzilla. And Gamera. I have nothing to apologise for.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@Byrdibyrd I liked Marvel's Werewolf by Night Michael Giacchino directed so if this movie gets made, I'm hopeful it will be good. I don't think it will take much away from the original because classics remain classics and the original is a great classic!
Post 10 IP   flag post
@Rush_is_a_band One of my FAVORITES!

Post 11 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Renfield is the one I'm most excited for!!!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
@Byrdibyrd I liked Marvel's Werewolf by Night Michael Giacchino directed so if this movie gets made, I'm hopeful it will be good. I don't think it will take much away from the original because classics remain classics and the original is a great classic!

I am interested to see what he does with it. If he just uses the basic concept and takes it somewhere else, that might be pretty cool.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Rush_is_a_band - I am hoping for a Big Ass Spider 2!

Post 14 IP   flag post
I haven't even seen Big Ass Spider yet and I want Big Ass Spider 2!
Post 15 IP   flag post
@esaravo LOL!!! I fast-forwarded through most of it (loved the volleyball players). What a fun stupid movie! I had never heard of it before. A #2 would be great
Post 16 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
I just watched the entire flick. It was fun. Most certainly should be a BAS-2.
Post 17 IP   flag post
‘Wednesday’ Officially Renewed for Season 2 at Netflix
The goth teen sleuth hit has at last been renewed by the streamer for a second season.
BY JAMES HIBBERD
JANUARY 6, 2023 9:00AM

Well it’s about time: Wednesday has been renewed for a second season by Netflix.

After speculation about the hit show’s fate, the streamer has confirmed the goth mystery series will return for another round.

“It’s been incredible to create a show that has connected with people across the world,” said showrunners Alfred Gough and Miles Millar in a statement. “Thrilled to continue Wednesday’s tortuous journey into season two. We can’t wait to dive head first into another season and explore the kooky spooky world of Nevermore. Just need to make sure Wednesday hasn’t emptied the pool first.”

WEDNESDAY -- starring Jenna Ortega in the title role, alongside Catherine Zeta-Jones, Luis Guzman, Gwendoline Christie, Christina Ricci and more -- is a sleuthing, supernaturally infused mystery charting Wednesday Addams' years as a student at Nevermore Academy. Snap snap.

Since its release on Nov. 23, the debut season starring Jenna Ortega has become Netflix’s third most-popular series of all time, behind only Stranger Things season four and Squid Game. The show also twice broke the record for most hours viewed in a single week by an English-language TV series.

Yet the protracted renewal process caused some anxiety among fans, and there were unfounded rumors the show might move to Prime Video (since Amazon acquired the show’s producer MGM and its content last year for $8.5 billion). Amazon had originally passed on Wednesday as an original series. Producers are also exploring ideas for a spin-off.

Previously, Gough teased season two during an interview with THR: “We wanna sort of explore and sort of complicate all of those relationships going forward. The school was closed when they left, which gave us the most possibilities for season two, and I think that’s something that we’re excited to explore. For us, the show also is really about this female friendship, with Wednesday and Enid (Emma Myers) really being at the center of that. The fact that they really connected with audiences, it has been really gratifying. So, we’re excited to explore now that Wednesday’s dipped her toe into the friendship pool, what’s that gonna look like? It’s like, she hugged. That was her big arc for the season, right? So it’s like now, we do that. Then, the other thing that’s really interesting is to continue to explore the Wednesday-Morticia mother-daughter relationship as well, which now that Morticia (Catherine Zeta-Jones) knows about the power, it has given her sort of an idea of how that’s going to go. How is their relationship going to evolve?”

No word yet on some key follow-up questions, such as how involved producer-director Tim Burton will be with season two after helming the first four episodes of the debut season.

Wednesday is described as “a sleuthing, supernaturally infused mystery charting Wednesday Addams’ years as a student at Nevermore Academy, where she attempts to master her emerging psychic ability, thwart a monstrous killing spree that has terrorized the local town, and solve the murder mystery that embroiled her parents 25 years ago — all while navigating her new and very tangled relationships at Nevermore.”

The show has become a sensation with Wednesday products selling at Hot Topic and Cakeworthy, and the cast’s reaction video to Ortega’s show-stopping dance sequence racking up 80 million views on Tiktok, according to Netflix.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
‘Wednesday’ Officially Renewed for Season 2 at Netflix

Great news!!!!
Post 19 IP   flag post
"A paranoid man embarks on an epic odyssey to get home to his mother in this bold and ingeniously depraved new film from writer/director Ari Aster." Due out in theaters on April 21st and starring Joaquin Phoenix, Nathan Lane, Amy Ryan, Stephen Mckinley Henderson, Hayler Squires, Denis Ménochet, Kylie Rogers, Armen Nahapetian, with Parker Posey, and Patti LuPone, here's the trailer for Beau is Afraid:

Post 20 IP   flag post
Ari Aster has done some pretty amazing stuff, and I thought Midsommar was genius, so I'm looking forward to seeing this.
Post 21 IP   flag post
THE PRICE WE PAY Official Trailer (2023) Thriller Movie

Post 22 IP   flag post

Uuuh... don't embark on a life of crime...?

Post 23 IP   flag post
VELMA is an adult animated comedy series telling the origin story of Velma Dinkley, the unsung and under-appreciated brains of the Scooby-Doo Mystery Inc. gang. This original and humorous spin unmasks the complex and colorful past of one of America’s most beloved mystery solvers.

Velma streams January 12 only on HBO Max.

Post 24 IP   flag post
BTW...

HBO Max is raising its subscription prices for the first time since the streaming service launched in May 2020, effective immediately.

The price of a new HBO Max ad-free monthly subscription in the U.S. will increase from $14.99 to $15.99 plus applicable taxes.

Existing subscribers who are paying $14.99/month will see their monthly rate increase to $15.99 effective their next billing cycle on or after Saturday, February 11, 2023.
Post 25 IP   flag post
There aren't a lot of new TV shows that I like. This happens to be one I do like and I'm happy to see that it has been renewed.

Ghosts Renewed for Season 3 by CBS

By AARON PERINE - January 12, 2023
Ghosts has been renewed Season 3 over at CBS. The news comes straight from the network today. Season 2 made the move to set things back to the 9 PM hour after debuting in the 8:30 PM slot for Season 1. The average viewership for Ghosts got up to 9.15 million viewers this time around. The series is also the #1 comedy show on Paramount+ and the most streamed program on CBS's other app as well. So, there's a lot of numbers to prove this move makes a ton of sense. So, full steam ahead for Ghosts.

"This season, executive producers Joe Port, Joe Wiseman and the brilliant cast delivered episodes that far surpassed our expectations. From the opening of the Woodstone B&B to epic Halloween and Christmas episodes, we have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know our GHOSTS even better. Much like our viewers, we love them more each and every week," explained Amy Reisenbach, president of CBS Entertainment. "As the series continues to win fans on broadcast and streaming, we're thrilled to bring back this touching and hilarious comedy for a third season."
Post 26 IP   flag post
Universal's Bringing A Year-Round Horror Experience To Las Vegas
Imagine Halloween Horror Nights, but every day of the year.

BY SCOTT WAMPLER JANUARY 12, 2023, 11:38 AM EST

Yesterday, the good folks at Universal Parks and Resorts made a very exciting announcement - the company is bringing an all-new, year-round horror experience to Las Vegas, one that seems to be modeled after its legendary Halloween Horror Nights experience, which unfolds each year at Universal's various theme parks.

Long considered the gold standard for big-budget haunted house experiences, the idea of having access to such a thing all year long (and in one of the country's wildest cities) has us very hyped.

Says Page Thompson, president of New Ventures for Universal Parks & Resorts:

“Universal is known for our ability to deliver original, highly-themed and terrifying horror entertainment experiences for millions of fans every year. We are excited to give our global fanbase yet another way to get scared and have fun with fear in the heart of Las Vegas, the perfect place for this type of unique concept."
The current plan calls for Universal's as-yet-unnamed horror installation to cover 110,000 square feet. It'll anchor a massive, 20-acre expansion to an already-awesome destination spot in Las Vegas, AREA15. Go there now and you'll find all manner of fun things to do, particularly Meow Wolf's you-gotta-see-it-to-believe-it Omega Mart installation, which invites guests to explore a massive, alternate reality grocery store that's positively overflowing with secret passages, easter eggs, and bizarre activities (do not leave until you're sure you've discovered all there is to discover, and trust me when I say there's more discover than you'll initially realize).

At present there's little to go on in terms of what Universal's new horror-themed hotspot will contain, but USA Today does offer the following:

"The immersive entertainment space will anchor a newly expanded area of Las Vegas’ AREA15 entertainment district and will feature continuously updated horror experiences along with dining venues that take on a different life at night. There will also be seasonal events and 'one-of-a-kind merchandise.' Most details are still under wraps."
Horror fans have long clamored for a horror theme park, and it certainly seems like Universal's well on their way to making that dream a reality. We are very excited to learn more about this joint, and you can rest assured that we'll be keeping you informed every step of the way between now and whenever this bad boy opens its doors. Stay tuned for that, and - in the meantime - maybe go ahead and start picking out which hotel you'll be staying at on the Strip during your visit.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Guess I have a trip to Vegas coming up.
Post 28 IP   flag post

GOCOLLECT EXCLUSIVE: ‘Cult of Dracula’ Gets Movie Deal, Series Creator Rich Davis Confirms

The Cult of Dracula live-action adaptation just got a major upgrade, and it is now officially being developed into a feature film.

In an exclusive interview with GoCollect, Cult creator Rich Davis confirmed that BR Films has taken over production. Rather than being adapted into a television series as was initially planned, it will be a full-length, 90-minute movie, and the wheels are already turning. clickable text

Post 29 IP   flag post

Post 30 IP   flag post
601535 85 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?