Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Bronze AgeComics Restoration and ConservationGrading Help NeededQuestions

Pressing Candidate? opinions please1896

Collector ThorneArt private msg quote post Address this user
Hello guys, with all the talk about pressing, I was thinking about sending a book in. FF #51, it looks like there is spine-roll that might benefit. But I would like to get some idea, if expectations for improvement are realistic.

What does the group think? Would this be a good pressing candidate?

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector infinityG private msg quote post Address this user
i just got into the pressing craze (its all the rage) but i dont think i'd do it on this book. It has quite a bit of damage and pressing it may not be worth the trouble.

you might get a grade boost for the spine roll and some of the wrinkling (judging from your pics) but it wont be much of an increase in value. if you just want to do it as a learning experience or if you just love the book, then go for it.
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
I don't think you'd get much of a grade bump, but even if you did it wouldnt be worth it. 2.0= $20, 4.0=$35 5.0=$45

If it was a #52 it would be worth it

Now, I'm NOT telling you to do this, but what I have done in the past on low-value low-grade books with spine roll... I took a clothes iron with no steam, opened up the book at the centerfold flat inbetween a few sheets of paper, and ironed the spine flat. Laid a few books on it until cool, then re-folded it, ironed the spine flat folded, and voila spine roll gone. Again, I'm NOT telling you to do that, my pancake recipe could very well DESTROY your book!! (I've had great results tho)
Post 3 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Pressing will only improve the look of light creases, bends, bumps, and dents that do not break the color.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Great info, thanks guys! I appreciate it.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Deadpoolica private msg quote post Address this user
A press would have with all the waviness but, to be honest the book isn't even a good candidate for grading...unless there is some sentimental value to it...just my opinion
Post 6 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Most of the problems on that book will not be changed by pressing it.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector steveo76 private msg quote post Address this user
I would only consider pressing a key in that kind of condition. The only thing pressing is going to do is correct spine roll and flatten the cover. All the major defects will still be there (spine tears, chipping, color breaking creases, etc). You might get half a grade out of it.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Thanks,

I really appreciate the opinions folks. Exactly the kind of info I was looking for.
Post 9 IP   flag post
596795 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?