Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Restoration and ConservationComics Silver Age

Need Opinion - Should I get Restoration Removal?18931

Collector HabsFan64 private msg quote post Address this user
I have an Uncanny X-men #1 that was CGC graded 5.5 Restored (B-1).
Is it a good candidate for restoration removal or should I leave it as is?

Grade Category
B-1

Label Text
Restoration includes: small amount of color touch on cover.

Grader Notes
Color touch (Average quality or materials small areas) Cover B-1
heavy spine stress lines to cover
light staining to cover
moderate bends to cover
moderate creasing to cover
Post 1 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@HabsFan64

Personally I hate purple label and avoid at all costs. The question is will the book look like Swiss cheese after they are done removing the restoration? Personally I'd rather have a ragged blue than purple, but depending on how bad the holes are others might not agree.

Edit
The other question is what kind of grade drop are you looking at? 2 points? 3? I would say send to an expert for their opinion before making the jump.
Post 2 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
To each his / her own but if I collected graded comics personally I would leave it as is.
Just having the book in my collection would be good enough.
Post 3 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
You should know where the colour touch is on the book first before you decide. They literally bore/destroy the restored portions of the book and that can leave the book looking terrible.

That book is definitely a candidate for restoration removal because of its value but know where that restoration is first.

Awesome book!!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector consumetheliving private msg quote post Address this user
If your adventurous, crack it and do your own restoration inspection. This gives you experience that can be used on future raw purchases. You will also be able to define how much restoration will need to be removed and intern the approx grade loss.

If your less adventurous, look up 3rd party options, I hear that CCS does and great job, and make the choice if the cost and grade loss is worth the blue label.

Im a tinkerer so I'd be cracking it😁

Happy New Year's all
Post 5 IP   flag post
Whenever you have a monkey riding a horse, I'm in. Tom74152 private msg quote post Address this user
Add a clean & Press
Post 6 IP   flag post
Thanks for the opinions; getting a handle on the restored portions would seem to be the prudent thing to do. Then decide from that point if removing the restoration would lower the grade from where it is. Thanks guys/gals!
Post 7 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
Leave it as is! Color touch is the least restoration most people care about. Anyone buying that book from you when/if your ready to sell already knows this. You want to stay away from Trimmed Comic Books and Rusty staples for the obvious reasons. Very nice book! I wouldn't mess with it
Post 8 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
You can buy a hand-held blacklight very cheap, and you can leave the book in the slab and look for the colour touch. This is a Conan #4 with a small colour touch to the front cover, and this is showing up while the book is still in a slab:

Also: Quote:
Originally Posted by drmccoy74
You want to stay away from Trimmed Comic Books

Trimming is the Kiss of Death. It can be great for letting you buy a book you can't otherwise afford that is strictly for your own PC, but for anything else, just stay away.
Post 9 IP   flag post
The blacklight sounds like a great idea will order one from amazon.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsFan64

Ditto, I miss color touch far too often, thanks for the tip! Although green or purple do not bother me at all.
As I understand it restoration just grinds off the color touch, for me I would never do it. I would find the cure worse than the clueless coloring in covers
Post 11 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

My understanding is a low watt ultraviolet lamp may detect CT that a black light may not, and vise versa. I don't know if it's true, just non-interactive discussions I've overheard.

So if you're a serious mofo, I guess I would recommend them both. LOL
Post 12 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
The simplest thing to do is just send it to CCS (CGC's in house service for pressing and restoration/ restoration removal) and see what they say. The person in the best position to say if it's a good candidate for restoration removal is the person that is going to be doing the restoration removal.

So send it them for screening, restoration removal and pressing afterwards. If they believe it will result in book damaged to much they will email you and let you know.

As far as what we know from the OP's post:

THE GOOD - it is B quality restoration. The color touch will not have been done with markers, so it might be able to be removed without scrapping the paper off and making holes. And it says "small amount"

It's in a good grade range for restoration removal. Taking color touch off of books in the 9+ range can oftentimes crush the final unrestored grade. Taking color touch off books mid and low grade often doesn't make a big difference in the grade.

THE BAD - "small amount" can sometimes be far more than what most of us would call a small amount.

IMHO all the facts add up to the book is WELL worth a try - but I'd have CCS assess for and do the removal. No one else.
Post 13 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I had CCS remove some restoration on a book. The initial review said a press would help. Come to find out they didn't do the press just the restoration removal. I got my coveted blue label, but I will always wonder if it took a hit because they don't listen to the screeners which I assume are in tbe same building.....
Post 14 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
If selling soon, then investigate impact of removing the restoration. If post-restoration-removal expected grade gives you back more $ at market value (perhaps 25% more than current market as restored), it may make sense to remove.

You will want a value “cushion” for possibility of error.

If holding this book longer-term, I would not remove. It is only slight restoration. Techniques for restoration removal will only improve with time, not get worse.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
I personally dont like color touch, but id leave it alone. Given the overall condition (aside from age) and the existing color breaks; id suspect that the color touch was done eons before it was considered a no-no. at least thats id tell myself to be ok with it.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I bought the book back in 2001 and had it CGC'd in 2018 so I'm in no rush to sell anytime.

Good point that if I wait longer the restoration removal techniques will only improve with time.

But I'm still curious to know where the color touch ups are.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I bought the book back in 2001 and had it CGC'd in 2018 so I'm in no rush to sell anytime.

Good point that if I wait longer the restoration removal techniques will only improve with time.

But I'm still curious to know where the color touch ups are.
i wish you the best on what you decide. Looking at the image you provided my guess would be a few spots on the X-Men logo. It could be lighting and anything in black is not obvious in the photo (which would be the most likely IMO; then again those areas have color defects which contradict a “more recent” attempt at color touch). IDK i feel like if it were my book id more curious on where the color touch is rather than getting it removed or not. Its a cool book either way and one I can only dream of owning in any condition.

Zooming in; these areas stand out. Again it could be lighting or the way it aged, but i see a color depth variation here in localized spots.

Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector cesidio private msg quote post Address this user
Leave alone. Damage is done
Post 19 IP   flag post

I can see a white triangular touch up with the black light .

As for the color variations in the XMEN logo I can see a red touch up on X in the first circle that HulkSmash identified other than that it looks ok to my amateur eyes.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
That triangle has me suspicious. Is that really a colour touch, given that the cover is supposed to be white there? Obviously, a pro opinion is better than mine, but I'd leave things alone in case that proves to be something that CGC never found and is more difficult to rectify than a little colour touch.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Send it to PGX....get a 7.0 with no restoration noted!!
Post 22 IP   flag post
600668 22 22
This topic is archived. Start new topic?