Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
QuestionsSignaturesSigning Opportunities

Todd McFarlane18924

Collector tierney1997 private msg quote post Address this user
Hello,

Happy Holidays to you all! Thank you all for having me! I sent a comic in to have it graded by Todd McFarlane. I received an email that Mr. McFarlane wasn't going to sign it because it wasn't his work. If Todd didn't sign the comic, would it be rare if the comic still received a Signature label saying it was signed by him even though the comic wasn't signed at all? Should the comic receive a Blue Label?

Thank you all!
Post 1 IP   flag post
"There, their, they're." GAC private msg quote post Address this user
You won't get a yellow label/signature series label if Todd McFarlane did not sign the book. Assuming CGC still grades the book, it will get a blue label.....again assuming the book is not restored because that would be a purple label.
Post 2 IP   flag post
@GAC Thank you. I was looking for a yellow label instead of a blue label. It would have been nice if I would have received a yellow label even though he didn't sign it instead of a blue label.
Post 3 IP   flag post
@tierney1997 The only way a yellow label is ever given (by CGC) is with a witnessed signature...CBCS is witness and/or verified signature. If there is no signature there can be no yellow label.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Keep your $6.87 bro... not even saving tax with that. Cli4dR3D0g private msg quote post Address this user
You could still get a green label if he didn't grade the book that he didn't draw or sign or grade. Just out of Christmas curiosity, what was the book he didn't draw that you wanted him to sign?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cli4dR3D0g
You could still get a green label if he didn't grade the book that he didn't draw or sign or grade.

I don't understand this.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@Cli4dR3D0g Batman #118 Bogdanovic Gold Foil Edition After Todd McFarlane. I’ll receive the comic tomorrow. Since they emailed and told me Todd wasn’t going to sign them, I just thought I was supposed to get a Yellow label. I was just curious about the labels because of the email.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I have entered the Christmas Twilight Zone.
I fear what is around the corner.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by tierney1997
Batman #118 Bogdanovic Gold Foil Edition After Todd McFarlane

I understand now. There are some artists who would sign an obvious homage to their work, but McFarlane is clearly not one of them.

Welcome to the forum, by the way, and Happy Holidays!
Post 9 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
I have entered the Christmas Twilight Zone.
I fear what is around the corner.

I'm still a bit confused why the OP started a thread regarding a CGC signing on the CBCS forum, but in their defense the first time I posted on CGC years ago everyone was a total prick. Maybe they've been lurking around here and figured we're a much nicer group to pose such a question to.
Post 10 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Quote:
Batman #118 Bogdanovic Gold Foil Edition After Todd McFarlane

I understand now. There are some artists who would sign an obvious homage to their work, but McFarlane is clearly not one of them.

Welcome to the forum, by the way, and Happy Holidays!

I'm glad someone understands. No offense but I can't grasp the concept of spending 120$ for a signature if you know the artist didn't do the work. I thought initially it was a honest mistake .
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
the first time I posted on CGC years ago everyone was a total prick

There are reasons why I'm over here and not over there...
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
Essentially there is no benefit to having an incorrect label color. Sometimes it will actually hurt sales price.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Splotches is gettin old!
I was lost immediately after reading the 1st sentence with Todd McFarlane grading comics.
Poor guy is locked up with signing 34,000 books and he has to grade them too? j/k
Post 14 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Hello,

Happy Holidays to you all! Thank you all for having me! I sent a comic in to have it graded by Todd McFarlane. I received an email that Mr. McFarlane wasn't going to sign it because it wasn't his work. If Todd didn't sign the comic, would it be rare if the comic still received a Signature label saying it was signed by him even though the comic wasn't signed at all? Should the comic receive a Blue Label?

Thank you all!

Happy holidays!

Yes. Yes.

You’re welcome.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector cesidio private msg quote post Address this user
Gordie Howe use to do the same thing. Don't know what the story is here with the batman book but in Mr. Howe's case he wouldn't sign anything that didn't the nhlpa stamp on it. Unless it was his autobiography. I brought a picture of him I took myself and his autobiography. He refused to sign my picture. His wife was there and part of the signing deal on the autobiography was she had to sign it too. It was in my youth. I asked her if she would be willing to sign it in pencil. And I turned out to be the bad guy and getting asked to leave Gibraltar. In hind sight... Artist athletes actors anyone with any one with clout will do whatever they want. I might be wrong but I do think McFarlane was in that Batman run
Post 16 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Hello,

It's CGC...just keep resubmitting until you get the label you want.

Post 17 IP   flag post
Splotches is gettin old!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros

(or the grade, as well)
This is unbelievable. Just unreal
Post 18 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Hello,

Sell it to me and I’ll crack it open live. 😎
Post 19 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosh
Quote:
Quote:
Hello,

Sell it to me and I’ll crack it open live. 😎

Lol, not mine. Saw it posted elsewhere. The guy got 3 of them just like this.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Splotches is gettin old!
Is it the OP who owns?
Post 21 IP   flag post
No, different forum altogether.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Is there a signature on that cover I'm not seeing? Did that book get a yellow label with no signature?
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Is there a signature on that cover I'm not seeing? Did that book get a yellow label with no signature?

No sig. Not even a book he would sign.
Just bad QC.

There are a number of them in the "Where in the World was Quality Control" thread AT CGC.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

No sig. Not even a book he would sign.
Just bad QC.

I'm assuming that's the book the OP wanted signed but received an email stating Todd would not sign.....and here we have a yellow labelled book stating its signed by Todd with no actual signature present....sh!tshow of a book.
Post 25 IP   flag post
I'm kinda in shock. I assumed when I first saw the book that it had been signed on the back cover and not noted on the label as such. I have several variant covers that I've requested signatures on the back because the back cover is often a big blank with a logo and/or title of the variant in the middle. Why not sign the back in that empty space and leave the cover art alone? Giving it a yellow label AND the note on it stating it has a non-existent signature is pretty special.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Splotches is gettin old!
We all assume there is a QC department.
Legit companies that produce a product have some manner of quality control.

But I seriously wonder - do they? Or do we just think they do?
This is just unacceptable and I don't care what percentage of the total graded books this represents. It's not acceptable because it continues to happen over and over and over and over again.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Quote:

(or the grade, as well)
This is unbelievable. Just unreal

That's a very rare book - signature series label without signature, AND AMAZING newton rings? I bet that's a real low number on the census!
Post 28 IP   flag post
Splotches is gettin old!
Quote:
Originally Posted by multi007
That's a very rare book - signature series label without signature, AND AMAZING newton rings? I bet that's a real low number on the census!

We all know.... we just KNOW.... that there is some nut out there that looks for:
1. Error edition
2. Signed McFarlane
3. Low Census

- and as such; will purchase this book.
Darwin said these types will become extinct; and yet they continue to purchase in this market
Post 29 IP   flag post
I have a thing for error editions, but... there needs to be an actual error, and I don't mean a simple 'oopsie' label error. Give me an awesome double-cover anyday!
Post 30 IP   flag post
611371 33 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?