Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector sylcarlin private msg quote post Address this user
Wondering if someone can give me some advice and how to get started selling comics on eBay
Is this a good idea
Can you sell as a person or do you need a business
Any information would be appreciated
Thanks
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector drloko private msg quote post Address this user
You can sell as a business or an individual.
I sold on eBay for many years and I'd consider two points:
First, the fees add up.
Second, although the vast majority of transactions are smooth, the occasional transaction will be difficult and likely need to involve eBay resolution.

I eventually moved all my sales to MyComicShop.com. The fees are better and they handle all of the customer service issues. The worst case is the buyer doesn't pay, MCS sends you a notice and you relist the item. There is no involvement in the dispute resolution process. MCS lets me focus on the parts of the business I enjoy.
Post 2 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I no longer sell on eBay as the fees are brutal and disputes are a hassle I no longer have patience for. With online retailers available, its hard to compete price-wise because your price has to factor in eBay fees and their's don't.

MyComicShop is the best place to sell/consign that I've come across. Very little, if any, downside to their model other than they are pretty tough on grading raw books...slabs, no issues at all.

You can also sell here, on this forum.

See Forum Selling Rules

Best of luck!!!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I figure the EBay fees add up to around 20%. I do charge shipping on EBay. I only do BIN because the usual drek sells for more so I just leave books on there until they do sell. It helps to not need to be in a hurry to sell.
Once you did the work of taking pictures and listing, you don’t have to think about them.
Post 4 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
The fact that eBay sides with buyers 98.5% of the time in a dispute made me...

Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector PhilCoulson private msg quote post Address this user
I've sold some on Ebay and while the buying side is very easy I found the selling side of their website to be clunky and cumbersome. Like others have said, in order to get what you want you have to jack up the prices due to the fees they take out. Also keep in mind that once you hit $600 in sales on ebay it will now have to be reporting to the IRS.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user
I closed my eBay account three years ago. So my answer is…

Post 7 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I used to sell as well on Ebay.
Then the issuance of the 1099K went from $20,000 to $600 this year.

So in addition to the Ebay fees.
In addition to the poor buyers and Ebay siding with them.
You get that lovely 1099; just to make sure you get screwed if you weren't already.

Looks like you're in the great white north so perhaps you don't have to worry about that four letter word 1099.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Keep your $6.87 bro... not even saving tax with that. Cli4dR3D0g private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilCoulson
I've sold some on Ebay and while the buying side is very easy I found the selling side of their website to be clunky and cumbersome. Like others have said, in order to get what you want you have to jack up the prices due to the fees they take out. Also keep in mind that once you hit $600 in sales on ebay it will now have to be reporting to the IRS.

"Armed" IRS.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
When they went to Managed Payments, I stopped selling.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
I used to sell as well on Ebay.
Then the issuance of the 1099K went from $20,000 to $600 this year.

So in addition to the Ebay fees.
In addition to the poor buyers and Ebay siding with them.
You get that lovely 1099; just to make sure you get screwed if you weren't already.

Looks like you're in the great white north so perhaps you don't have to worry about that four letter word 1099.

No 1099 worries for us!!
Self report only on individual items over 1k and only pay on amount above that 1k less fees etc.
Post 11 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylcarlin
Wondering if someone can give me some advice and how to get started selling comics on eBay
Is this a good idea
Can you sell as a person or do you need a business
Any information would be appreciated
Thanks

I think fees are around 12-13% now. It's a lot but there is no bigger audience for your books. You can find places with lower fees, but that's because the traffic is less.

I sell on IG, eBay, ShortBoxed and MySlabs. MySlabs fees are 1%...but the traffic is definitely less.
I'd say make an IG account, start following comic accounts, and sell there for free. Just watch how other people do it. Again, it's work but it's not the 10%+ that others charge. I've never had a FB account but I'm sure there is stuff going on there too.

There can be issues on eBay. I've been lucky and never had a problem selling, but as a buyer I have had a few. In every case, either eBay or PayPal stepped in and helped. As for the $600 this administration brought down from $20,000... that applies everywhere, not just eBay. And yes, eBay most often sides with buyers.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@Sigur_Ros I would argue that for comic book traffic, MyComicShop is comparable to eBay....probably a little less traffic but probably more serious buyers.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
We abandoned eBay as a selling platform more than a year ago for multiple reasons, most of which are touched on above. And like others, MCS now gets the majority of our consignments, be they auction or fixed price listings.

In the interest of full disclosure we are Dallas area locals to MCS and CBCS, and save a metric shit-ton in shipping charges doing drop-offs and pickups from both locations ourselves.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
I abandoned ebay more so for the increased fee % on collectables. 13% (at the time) regardless of value was excessive for the low end.

Since the beginning of the year i have sold a few non collectibles on ebay; like a broken pair of raybans that were good for parts. Useless crap like that im fine with the fees because there isnt a market place for it and id otherwise throw it away. Its also interesting to see what people will buy. I once sold a bag of roughly 300 Monster Energy can tabs for $40 on ebay.
Post 15 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
Yes you can start selling as an individual. I’ve bought and sold through eBay, on and off, since 1999. Mostly Automotive related and collectibles and never more than $5-10k/yr. I stopped selling via eBay entirely over a year ago and have bought very little. It’s quite simply not what it used to be. By the time I quit I felt vulnerable as a seller; from shady buyers as well as eBay itself restricting my account without warning or reason. In my efforts to restore my account I was treated as merely an annoyance and left to solve my own problems as to why their algorithms decided to heavily restrict a flawless 19yr history.
I sell comics via mycomicshop now
Post 16 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
Ebay fees - about 14%. I charge for shipping. Reasonable amount though.

Once listed, you can forget it. To open a new account, you need to go through the "KYC" process - Know Your Customer - they'll want your address, phone #,

Do you want to open an ebay store or have a few books each month on the site to sell?

Ebay store is about $55 a month for thousands of items. This also gives you $50 in free ebay themed shipping supplies each quarter.

The biggest thing with selling on ebay is take great pictures and use up all 12 picture slots.

I have a large ebay store (not of comics though), and pictures and detailed descriptions help alleviate returns.

When I sell a raw comic, i use up all 12 pictures of the book for each quadrant. Top middle edge, top right corner, top left corner, middle spine, lower spine, bottom right corner, middle right edge. do the back same as well.

I hate when people say "NM" and then there's only 2 photos (entire front, entire back). I usually skip those sellers or ask for more pics if price is right.

Check out mycomicshop too. Ive never sold there but i have bought (not as much though as I find ebay prices better than MCS)
Post 17 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by multi007
I hate when people say "NM" and then there's only 2 photos (entire front, entire back). I usually skip those sellers or ask for more pics if price is right.

Yes. I won't buy if there aren't good pictures of all key areas. A front and back scan mean nothing.

Quote:
Check out mycomicshop too. Ive never sold there but i have bought (not as much though as I find ebay prices better than MCS)

Don't they only do front and back scans? I don't use it but when I've looked, that's all I saw.

But yes, much more competition on eBay so good prices are easy to find.
Post 18 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
I still sell the majority of my comics on ebay. I have the basic store option which is $21.95 a month. Also, I don't know if it's a Christmas promo thing or what but I'm getting 24 pictures per listing now.

I also sell some on Craigslist and OfferUp as well.
Personally I would like to sell more locally and not so much on ebay.

I wish I had the energy to sell at shows or conventions.

I'm almost at a point where if I knew someone that sold at shows I'd split the money with them if they took my books and sold them at the show.
Post 19 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantMania
I also sell some on Craigslist and OfferUp as well.
Personally I would like to sell more locally and not so much on ebay.

This!
Cash Only!
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Ebay store is about $55 a month for thousands of items. This also gives you $50 in free ebay themed shipping supplies each quarter.

If you choose the basic store it is $22 per month (yearly plan) which allows you to list 1,000 items. However, with managed payments you can list up to 10,000 items per month
Post 21 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
@poka last i checked (a few years ago) the basic had a cap of 500 items per month. glad to see they increased it. i have the premium store myself.
Post 22 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
Basic ebay store $21.95 per month for annual subscription.

Zero Insertion fee listings: Up to 1,000 fixed price + up to 250 auction-style
+ an additional 10,000 fixed pricing listings in select categories**

There is also a starter ebay store which is $4.95 per month for annual subscription.

Zero Insertion fee listings: up to 250 listings

The managed payments is mandatory for any ebay sellers account
Post 23 IP   flag post
601275 23 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?