Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics Golden AgeComics Modern AgeComics Silver Age

Your 2022 Year in Review18848

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
We’ve come to the last month of the year! I’m sure we’ve all still got comics to buy before 2022 is over but I think it’s close enough that we can start looking back at some of our notable collection pickups from 2022!

So looks like I added another 288 books to my collection in 2022. Up slightly from the year before. However, I kind of feel like most of that was just everyday purchases without a ton of exciting stuff for the collection. I think part of that has to do with the abysmal state CBCS currently finds itself in. Note, no CBCS books on my list, mostly because I haven’t gotten back any books that I hadn’t submitted after last year.

1. Lots of coverless keys

I have a certain affection for coverless keys and I indulged a bit this year picking up coverless or incomplete copies of ASM 15, 122, 192, Detective Comics 359, and FF 48, 49, and 50

2. X-Men & Captain Universe (female variant)

I’ve picked up a copy of this book each year the last two years but this is is my first copy of the rarer female variant. Each copy of this book is unique as it was released via mail-order with user-selected options. Given how male-dominated the hobby is, far fewer copies of this book were ordered by/for female fans with the female protagonist

3. Spider-Man: Carnage

I’ve probably been looking for a copy of this book for nearly 20 years. Mostly as a part of the Maximum Carnage boxed set but prices for that have gotten out of hand so I was happy with just the book. It’s not cheap itself but I jumped at the chance to buy a copy for about half the asking price of of other available copies

4. Artist’s Editions

I love the Artist Edition format, whatever the publisher-specific term may be. This year at SDCC I was able to pick up a couple at a nice discount for League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (RIP Kevin O’Neill) and Sin City: The Hard Goodbye

5. Punisher art by Tim Bradstreet

It was great to see Tim Bradstreet at SDCC this year! I’ve been waiting on a commission from him for a few years now but he gave me a nice deal on this piece in the meantime. A nice companion to my commission since it, too, will feature Bernthal’s Punisher

6. Sandman Universe #1 (Frison Variant)

2022 was a big year for Gaiman’s Sandman and the hype around the show undoubtedly helped push the price of this gorgeous Frison cover up. I waited to buy a copy as cheaply as I could and it was slabbed to boot!

I think that’s all for me but a little later I’ll see about showing off some comics from my dad’s collection that I’ve been helping him curate
Post 1 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
This year I purchased more books than ever. But for bigger books I keep missing by a hair.

My want list is virtually unchanged from December 2021, either due to scarcity of the issue sought or scarcity of guts for me to bid more aggressively.

I’ll add more highlights later but this one will be on my wall soon:

Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Kenjisan1967 private msg quote post Address this user
@Davethebrave Love that cover! For some reason as soon as I saw it I immediately thought of the cover on Swamp Thing #2. Awesome book!
Post 3 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenjisan1967
@Davethebrave Love that cover! For some reason as soon as I saw it I immediately thought of the cover on Swamp Thing #2. Awesome book!

It is a great cover. Hard to photograph without catching the case scratches and too many reflections.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
My 2022 Year in Review (General):

1. My 10 - 12 submissions, every month, to CGC/CBCS began to come in. I will continue this approach to eternity since I get a submission back now roughly every month.

2. No large purchases this year. Concentrating on submissions.

3. Focused on buying 1st appearances of Pixar, Dreamworks, and classic Disney films which are incredibly cheap, imo, relative to the Marvel/DC/Indie optioned titles. (Shrek, Toy Story, Monsters Inc., Cars, Snow White, Bambi, Little Mermaid, Pinocchio, The Incredibles, etc...)
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Danno private msg quote post Address this user
I went from deciding to stop buying graded comics when the year began, to dipping my toes back into the graded-comic market in the spring, to only buying cheap graded keys, to parting with my raw collection of more than 40 years at the end of the summer, to now buying slightly higher-end graded books, including GA and pre-code horror. This year also marked the start of me leaving collecting altogether.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
only notable stuff notes:
Keys Bought: Infinite Crisis #3 and #5 (first appearance of Jamie Reyes and 1st appearance of him as Blue Beetle)

Submitted to be graded: Amazing Spider-man #365 (first spider-man 2099 appearance), Amazing spider-man #4 (first full appearance of Cindy Moon and as Silk), Go Go Power Rangers #8 (first appearance of Ranger Slayer)

and bought a lot of current issues and random back issues.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
2022 was the second and final year of our "volume reduction" efforts. Nearly all of our raw inventory is gone, along with roughly six short boxes of graded modern and copper, and roughly six short boxes of graded silver and bronze. Coming back in their place were only a few issues of graded Marvel gold, two random EC's, and the Haight/Ashbury copy of Fat Freddy's Cat.

We also went through a complete re-inventory and imaging process such there is no longer any guessing as to what we have, where it is, or which of us gets to claim credit for it being here. That's kind of a weird feeling, but nice after all these years.

Post 8 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I ended up picking up my fantastic four 5 and the only other book I've wanted but is prolly out of my range is detective comics 168.

But truth be told I'm satisfied with my collection the way it is and prolly wont make any more huge trades. Apparently I do have some regrets on losing some key books....

Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Moving into this sort of stuff this year, Addicting.

Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user

bought this lot of for about $30 shipped, arrived 1/4. All were NM- or better. So many first appearances. Been selling them off one by one for $20-$40 each. Sent 2 on for grading and they came back 9.8. So one for the PC (a personal “grail” book), another for a rainy day.

Another grail of as the UK Transformers #1. This didn’t show up very often on eBay, but has more often. Most copies are in the UK, so there’s the risk of damage.

This one arrived in VF/NM to NM- condition. Which there are only a few copies graded as high or higher. It didn’t come with the rub-on inserts, but they didn’t rub them onto the centerfold (which is what they were for) too.

I also picked up a copy of TF UK 133, which arrived damages with a tear. .

Obviously transformers is my thing. So a big year for acquiring elusive keys.
Post 11 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Focused on Kirby's Fourth World.

Post 12 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user

Post 13 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Year of 2022 picked up some golden age

Silver age

And bronze age

Post 14 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
4. Artist’s Editions

I love the Artist Edition format, whatever the publisher-specific term may be. This year at SDCC I was able to pick up a couple at a nice discount for League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (RIP Kevin O’Neill) and Sin City: The Hard Goodbye

I started collecting AEs this year. They're king.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Not a very busy year for purchases. Pandemic Prices were a real turn off, and I already achieved most of my goals.
All upgrades (except FF17) including 2 FF#44's, because I wasn't paying attention

Post 16 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
Man, 2022 was such a great year for me, got a couple of grails I didn't think I could Ever get. I'm hoping it still works out by the end of the year but I have a really good shot at an all star 8.
picked up a showcase 4 with verified signatures, infantino and kubert
more fun 55, first Dr Fate. Was also able to find the centerfold, will be sending it to cbcs
picked up a marvel family 1, first Black Adam

picked up a captain America 9 signed by jack kirby, will be sending it to cbcs as well
new York worlds fair, 1st sandman
Batman 1, page 1 with origin of Batman
got my holy grail Captain America 1. From the same seller, I'm getting a captain America 3, signed by Stan Lee, cap 4 & 5 but those won't be here until after the new year, can't wait. Plus a scored a few very nice collections that was able to sell off and help purchase some of these books. I was really good with my collection, was going to stop purchasing for awhile but when some of these books come up, you have to get them because they don't come up often on the price range that i could afford.
Post 17 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
Sold about 5,000 and bought about 10,000

For the most part decided to stop collecting this year except for random books here and there. I will however still buy collections if the deal is a "can't pass it up" deal.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
The problem with waiting too long to share...you just might end up following @Batman66. My purchases this year were pretty minimal compared to my sales. I dug through my MCS purchase history for 2022 and came up with a few that are noteworthy:

Bought the 9.4 for investment purposes and sold my 9.0 a couple months later.

Been eyeballing this first Frank Miller work for years:

Spontaneous auction purchase for no rational reason:

Started a small collection of magazine size books:

@Xkonk's MCS auction slab:

First Ultraboy (LSH)

Post 19 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
I guess this year was more about quantity than quality. I picked up a lot of raw ASMs (and a few other raw books), and now only need about a dozen issues to complete my #18-401 ASM run. I also picked up some slabs, and like the raw books, some came from eBay, some came from MCS, and some came from my friends right here on the forum. Because of tax uncertainties, I sold very little this year, so the big budget books on my want list were always out of reach. I am still working on more trades with a few forum members that hopefully can come to fruition in 2023.

Here are some of the slabs:

Post 20 IP   flag post
It's chicken Monday. Rush_is_a_band private msg quote post Address this user

I may have posted this when it happened, but my “holy cow!” moment of the year came when I picked this up for the $2 price on the bag.
I literally looked around for a hidden camera.
I would eyeball it at 8.0-9.0. Maybe a press would help.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector cesidio private msg quote post Address this user
Hard to say. Looking back my best 0f 2022

Post 22 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I made some great pickups this year including a childhood relic in Wizard Magazine #1 and my only book signed by McFarlane. I like the idea of having at least one book from each decade from the 1940s on, so I'll have to work on that in 2023. I like the Frankenstein I picked up but will be looking to trade it for another pre-code horror with a more appealing cover.

I'm content with the value of my collection and feel that there's no need to invest any more money into it, other than a few new releases each month. I'm going to try and limit most of my collecting to trades in 2023 and I'm looking forward to getting away from spending so much time looking at weekly auctions.

Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
A few things this year I'm rather proud of, but this one is probably at the top of the list.

Post 24 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I don't recall what all I had planned for. I did find a small checklist of runs that I intended to finish off in 2022. I'm sure that I had other stuff in mind as well. Among the incomplete goals were to finish the price variant runs of Dazzler and Thing. I think I'm halfway through Thing and only have a few UK price variants remaining for Dazzler. Otherwise, I picked up a few keys. The GSX 1 was hefty, and I shouldn't have gotten rid of my first copy of it because it cost almost 4 times as much the second time around. I upgraded my FF 48 and picked up the first issues of Ghosts and Witching Hour.

Completed runs of drek in 2022:
Marvel Two-in-One
Savage She-Hulk
Sensational She-Hulk
Nomad
Darkhawk
Marvel Comics Presents
Joker
Wonder Man
Solo Avengers/Avengers Spotlight
West Coast Avengers

Runs of drek to work on in 2023:
NFL Super Pro
Thing CPV
Dazzler price variants
Marvel Team-Up
Marvel Fanfare
Green Lantern (1990 series)
US 1
Wolf Pack
Super-Villain Team-Up
Post 25 IP   flag post
597980 25 25
This topic is archived. Start new topic?