Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
This delightful Pikachu vending machine has a feature where it is capable of shooting cans from its crotch even if the power gets cut off in the event of an emergency.

Post 726 IP   flag post
I guess it's a shame I'm a teetotaler...??

Post 727 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd

No.
Post 728 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Quote:

No.

Heartily agree 👍👍👍
Post 729 IP   flag post
My lunch at Ikinari Steak. 😋 😋 😋

Post 730 IP   flag post

Went shopping at this delightful store. What shame everything was so expensive. 😢

The name of the store is Fxxking Rabbits.
Post 731 IP   flag post
Best gatcha ever from Fxxking Rabbits

Post 732 IP   flag post
I'll be heading home tomorrow. Spent today checking out a temple in Tōkyō. The temple is Jōshin-ji, but it's also known as Kuhonbutsu, which means '9 Buddhas.' This refers to the extremely rare complete set of nine icons of Amida, who resides over the Western Paradise. There is only one other set of nine Amidas in the country, and it's at Jōruri-ji Temple in Kyōto prefecture. There used to be many such sets back in Ye Olden Dayes, but they were usually broken up over time. Some would have part of the set destroyed or one of them donated to a new temple in need of an icon. What surprised me here was the sheer size of the nine icons in question. They had to be housed in three separate halls. That is something I was not expecting.
Post 733 IP   flag post
Another surprise at Jōshin-ji were the lovely egret guardians.

They had egret guardians because the temple is known for its rare (for Japan) white egret orchids in its garden.
Post 734 IP   flag post
Quote:
What surprised me here was the sheer size of the nine icons in question.

Were you able to get pictures?
Post 735 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
What surprised me here was the sheer size of the nine icons in question.

Were you able to get pictures?

The best I could do was this sad shot. No photos in the halls (no surprise there - that's rarely allowed) and surprisingly little to give scale outside. The sun was also in a position that made it difficult to take photos at all without going blind.

I'd estimate that the icons were each around 15 feet tall and seated on large lotus bases that were nearly as wide as the icons were tall. I've seen the set of nine Amidas at Jōruri-ji, and they aren't half this size. This set at Jōshin-ji dates from the 17th century, which is really odd, because icons this size are usually much older. In the early days of Buddhism in Japan, one of the few ways that was used to create a perception of divinity was to make icons impressively large. This is why the Great Buddha of Nara at Tōdai-ji Temple is so massive. Gold leaf and richly decorated halls came later. These nine Amidas are immense for icons as 'recent' as the 17th century.
Post 736 IP   flag post
@Byrdibyrd that's awesome!! Thanks for sharing the pictures and the history. Are all the Buddha's seated? I'm trying to imagine a statue that huge and it's mind boggling!!
Post 737 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Byrdibyrd that's awesome!! Thanks for sharing the pictures and the history. Are all the Buddha's seated? I'm trying to imagine a statue that huge and it's mind boggling!!

All nine are seated, and each one has a different mudra (hand gesture) that represents the nine grades or classes into which people fall when they enter the Western Paradise in search of enlightenment.

The icons are very impressive and are undergoing preservation, so one was missing when I was there. I'd like to go back when the preservation is finished so I can see all nine. I'll aim for fall 🍁 because I saw some maples on the grounds, and it must be gorgeous with the fall colours.
Post 738 IP   flag post
Collector scratchtasia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I'll be heading home tomorrow. Spent today checking out a temple in Tōkyō.

Safe travels! I mentioned before that my 2018 trip was around this time of year, as posts are popping up in my Facebook memories. It's been interesting following your trip along with that. I even departed for home on April 24 that year.
Post 739 IP   flag post
@scratchtasia
Thanks!! I'm home now and being mobbed by very needy kitties, which is not a bad situation to be in.

I spent my last day checking a few places out. I went to Togoshi Hachiman-jinja and Hebikubo Tenso-jinja, which is an amazing snake shrine!! I will have photos in a while, but for now my phone is charging and I'm much too stupid to be transferring things around.
Post 740 IP   flag post
Because I haven't been able to post things the way I would have liked, I'm thinking of going back over my trip, one day at a time, and doing things more to my satisfaction. I'll lose the immediacy of actually being in Japan when I'm posting, but I can at least give a better explanation of some of the places I went to. Cool places like Maruoka Castle and Fujii-dera Temple deserve more attention than they got.
Post 741 IP   flag post
Collector dfoster43 private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome Home!!!
Post 742 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfoster43
Welcome Home!!!

Thanks! It's good to be home. I was missing my kitties pretty bad there.

Next trip coming up in September, by the way!!
Post 743 IP   flag post
601452 743 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?