Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeComics Restoration and Conservation

Has anyone got a timeline...18794

I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
Of the changes in paper quality (both interiors and covers) for the industry as a whole, or even individual companies? I am fascinated by how flimsy modern books feel, even as they have become a vehicle for speculation over long and short terms.

I was reading some very recent back issues this evening and was struck by how cheap they felt and how much apparent "damage" they took from reading. The interior print quality is amazing compared to the Bronze Age books I grew up with, but those don't feel like they are going to fall apart after a single reading (on top of the dozens or more they already have).

I know, generally, when the transition from newsprint occurred. But it would be interesting to do a comparison versus other factors outside the industry. Even down to a granular level like DC offering a premium cardstock cover, and the change of the offered covers from gloss to a semi matte finish. Mapping the same data versus average price in real dollars would be interesting too.

I have done some searching on the interwebs, but really have not found any actual dates.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Mostly varies depending on who the printer is. A lot of new Marvel have wavy pages. Some independent books look like they were water logged; you could surf those gnarly waves. From personal experience the waviness of new Marvel books seems dependent on coloring. It may be coincidence, but seems wavy is relative to black heavy inks vs lighter toned stories.

Also it would be reasonable to say the hobbies standards have changed from rolling a book and putting it in your back pocket to MINT!, Mintmintmint, its not mint unless it was hand delivered on a satin pillow only first being delicately transferred to said pillow from print press by 4 turtle doves (2 at spine corners and 2 center to prevent bending) whos feet are wrapped in the finest silk! Everything else is worthless 9.6s.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Thelastpearce private msg quote post Address this user
Pretty much a history lesson in comic book printing.

https://www.printivity.com/insights/2019/08/08/the-history-of-comic-book-printing-dot-by-dot/
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastpearce
Pretty much a history lesson in comic book printing.

https://www.printivity.com/insights/2019/08/08/the-history-of-comic-book-printing-dot-by-dot/

That was very interesting. Thank you.

I collect MARVEL's, GOLDEN and SILVER AGE comic books pre-1982 so I really don't know about the different "paper" used but I have seen DC comics using "shinny" paper and foreign comics using "shiny" paper for many years. Which paper lasts longer newsprint or shinny paper I would say newsprint last longer.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Fads89 private msg quote post Address this user
What is shinny paper?
Post 5 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Probably shiny
Post 6 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

Post 7 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user

Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
Probably shiny

I stand corrected. Thank you.
Post 9 IP   flag post
600886 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?