Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Is there any reason to have individual pages slabbed? There are a bunch of pages from Amazing Fantasy 15 on ebay, and I can't understand why anyone would have them slabbed -- and am doubly mystified as to why anyone would buy them.
Post 1 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
@jrs own a piece of comic history, I guess
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Affordability. There was a nice page from Supes #1 that I was bidding agressively on, but lost out. I may not ever own one otherwise.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
two reasons - either people who cannot afford a complete af15 can own a bit of history through owning pages instead , 2) ppl hope to bring a complete a complete af15 together and thereby increase the value
Post 4 IP   flag post
@shrewbeer - our posts crossed. agree
Post 5 IP   flag post
It's crazy, though. $100 per page, and not even a wrap. It seems to me that someone could offer a page without slabbing it, but I suppose everything gets slabbed nowadays.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
It's crazy, though. $100 per page, and not even a wrap. It seems to me that someone could offer a page without slabbing it, but I suppose everything gets slabbed nowadays.

I bid $450 for that Supes 1 page and lost 😁... depending on the page/comic, theres demand
Post 7 IP   flag post
Wow.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
Wow.

If I had to do it again, I'd probably be willing to pay up to $750 for it. I think it sold for $625. If I wanted a coverless copy, Id have to pay upwards of 10k (hell a .5 sold for 57k on heritage this year!). Divide by about 32 pages and its pretty close. (Generic google Pic of the page from a reprint below. Still pissed I missed out on it 😡)

Divide AF value in .5 (~$3200) and you get pretty close to that $100 per page mark 😁

Post 9 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
So if you ever see a rat-chewed, insect-damaged, mold-covered copy of a key at a low price, buy it and salvage as many pages as you can.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector BLBcomics private msg quote post Address this user

One of my favorite issues of a 1940s comic book. There is a fun story behind its survival, preservation without restoration. Book is complete and very readable.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBcomics

One of my favorite issues of a 1940s comic book. There is a fun story behind its survival, preservation without restoration. Book is complete and very readable.

I digress, but if Alan Scott can fly, why did he have to have Doiby Dickles drive him around in a Cab?
Post 12 IP   flag post
@shrewbeer at least that's a cool page you were bidding on.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBcomics

Looks like Mickey the Mouse read it
Post 14 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
The reason for slabbing pages is to verify if any or no restoration has been done to the page and to certify that the page is not a fake. This is valuable information for anyone who is seeking pages for the restoration of a copy that's missing pages or pieces.
Post 15 IP   flag post
I suppose there is some utility but it seems like an expensive proposition to grade a page. How is the fee calculated?
Post 16 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Depending on the page, it could be more valuable than many complete books. AF15, Tec27, Action1, are good examples. Someone owning one of these books missing a page would be willing to pay thousands for the page they are missing.
Post 17 IP   flag post
598011 17 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?