Collector Iceman399 private msg quote post Address this user
As the great velvet revolver stated:
Sometimes is all the time
And never means maybe
Sometimes is all the time
Maybe
Post 28 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@CBCS Could you please give insight on this?

- if I submit a stack of books under expanded or consumer with a lead time of around eight weeks and send a few for pressing, when the pressing is done in four weeks do they go back with my books that are just sitting there or do they have to go to the end of the line? Or worse, under a new invoice with different shipping?

- Will the grading team have any indication if a book they are looking at has been pressed in house?

- Will Steve be grading his own work?

On more of a thread discussion note, CGC is currently in trouble for trashing other peoples work in order to promote their own. Assuming CBCS does not go this route ( we know they will with amateurs, but that's a whole different kitchen 😆), keep things professional and updates the website for a streamlined process, this could be a really good thing. I actually wish I would have known this with my last submission, I would have thrown on an extra few books just to see what Steve can do!
Post 29 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
The idea that they will give better grade simply because the pressing is done in house while plausible could just as easily be done by an outside company.

If CBCS wanted to they could just give "incentives" to outside 3rd party company's to insure that they get better work or results. We will have to wait and see how it goes but I'm actually glad it's a service they offer now and having Steve on the project I think will be really good as somebody else already pointed out he does check these forums and has his ear to the ground on what customers want and expect.
Post 30 IP   flag post

COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I was under the impression that as General Manager Steve no longer directly graded books. So I don't have any fear of him grading his own work. My only concern would be that the graders continue to have no knowledge of the books status prior it reaching their hands. With the process being in house, we can only go by their word that this will be the case.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Inhouse is betta, Nobody wants pancakes from an outhouse anyways.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Inhouse is betta, Nobody wants pancakes from an outhouse anyways.

Mmmmmm...homemade pancakes!

With butter and syrup......

Aaaaaaaahhhh....
Post 33 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
Ok somebody needs to give me the Coles notes of pancakegate
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector Mio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
The biggest conflict of interest is charging a percentage of fair market value to grade a book. I can't understand how a grading company would NOT be incentived to over-grade a book when its fee is dependent on the value and, hence, the grade.

Providing in-house services like pressing certainly presents a potential conflict also. But my expectation is that the graders will not know when a book is pressed in-house.

I will assume the charge is based on the FMV self-declared by the submitter. In which case, no apparent conflict.

It looks expensive, though.
Post 35 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
The biggest conflict of interest is charging a percentage of fair market value to grade a book. I can't understand how a grading company would NOT be incentived to over-grade a book when its fee is dependent on the value and, hence, the grade.

Providing in-house services like pressing certainly presents a potential conflict also. But my expectation is that the graders will not know when a book is pressed in-house.

I will assume the charge is based on the FMV self-declared by the submitter. In which case, no apparent conflict.

They take your quote of FMV to determine tiers and return shipping costs. However, if any of the books you submit gets a high grade (say 9.6 or 9.8) CBCS will look up the FMV based on their own criteria and charge you for a higher tier, based on the value of the book exceeding the limit for the tier submitted. It has happened to me a few times. The good news is your comic gets a higher grade than you expected, the bad news is you are charged more, and you do not get the faster turnaround time that is associated with the more expensive tiers.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector antoniofett private msg quote post Address this user
What if I have a book that has a signature on it but I want it pressed before it goes for VSP?
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
Honestly, I've lost some respect for the CBCS. Grading books they've pressed is why I don't use CGC or PGX.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniofett
What if I have a book that has a signature on it but I want it pressed before it goes for VSP?

Signatures can be safely pressed if the presser knows what they are doing.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
No restoration or "conservation" services should be done in house. No matter who does it, how it is set up, etc there will ALWAYS be the impression of or chance for conflict of interest. CBCS should have resisted the financial benefits such a service could provide.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxbladder
No restoration or "conservation" services should be done in house. No matter who does it, how it is set up, etc there will ALWAYS be the impression of or chance for conflict of interest. CBCS should have resisted the financial benefits such a service could provide.

Maybe one can submit to CBCS' pressing and CGC for grading, and vice versa?

Or you could just go with an independent presser and avoid any perceived conflict of interest.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuaBrot
Quote:

Or you could just go with an independent presser and avoid any perceived conflict of interest.

Of course they could BUT that doesn't change the fact that other people will still view such services as a conflict of interest and not trust CGC or CBCS books as much, which could hurt customer sales and, potentially, hurt the bottom lines of these companies as people may become less inclined to submit books. Now I am not saying that will happen but why would any company that wants and depends on market trust wish to risk their bottom line on services that put question in that trust?
Post 42 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuaBrot
Quote:

I doubt CBCS is offering pressing services independent of their grading services. That would be just down right, well... stupid.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniofett

Signatures can be safely pressed if the presser knows what they are doing.

To press or not to press?....that is the question.

"Signatures can be safely pressed if the presser knows what they are doing."

I'm starting to think I'm glad I didn't get something pressed.

How does one know that a pressing will increase a grade?

How does one know if a pressing will not decrease the value?

How can one tell if the book needs a cleaning?

Will the cleaning cause a lower grade?

Doesn't patina count as some thing good? *smiles*

JK on last one...just lightening the questions.

Thanks!
Post 44 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
$30 for pressing (consumer tier) is a little steep isn't it?
Post 45 IP   flag post
I don't see any reason to not just use CFP. Which is who I will use if I decide a book needs pressed.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Collector Mio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs

They take your quote of FMV to determine tiers and return shipping costs. However, if any of the books you submit gets a high grade (say 9.6 or 9.8) CBCS will look up the FMV based on their own criteria and charge you for a higher tier, based on the value of the book exceeding the limit for the tier submitted. It has happened to me a few times. The good news is your comic gets a higher grade than you expected, the bad news is you are charged more, and you do not get the faster turnaround time that is associated with the more expensive tiers.

I have never had a book bumped to a more expensive tier, even where a book was obviously submitted in the wrong one. If there is any conflict, it does not seem to have much impact on their behaviour, which negates the issue at all.

In any event, I see no reason to switch from Joey. Top notch work for less money.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
I don't see any reason to not just use CFP. Which is who I will use if I decide a book needs pressed.

I'm going to at least try out Steve. Frankly, I'm very interested to see what Steve can do, especially since he is a former grader. I would think that he knows exactly what to look for as well due to that.

- I have several books from lesser known "professionals" that are obviously pancaked (airless crepes, squished spine), and my own recipe yields the same result.

-Sent an extremely difficult one to CFP, have yet to see the result

- Sent some to Avery, same as above

- putting together an order for Steve today. Will include a square bound silver, a few moderns, and and a spine rolled filthy golden age book

Once I get all these back I will post some good before and afters for all three;I would hope the post doesn't get deleted 😁👌🏻
Post 48 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Requested this new cbcs pressing be added to my order (2 of 5 books submitted)...they did this but broke it up into two invoices and now I'm being billed TWICE for return shipping. AND they didn't give me the 20% discount??? Not a good deal...hope they can combine them back into one return shipping...nothing indicated the order had to be broken up on the Facebook page. Does cgc do this?
Post 49 IP   flag post
Collector Iceman399 private msg quote post Address this user
CGC won't combine invoices.

With CBCS you can combine for different tiers (modern vs expanded), prescreens (9.8 and 9.6) and books that need VSP and not.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Collector outlawmonster private msg quote post Address this user
@shrewbeer message me when you get a set of results! I wanna see the final tally.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector Dick_Pontoon private msg quote post Address this user
I dunno. CBCS pressing sounds kind of Dicey to me.

Post 52 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I don't understand why people think that 3rd party graders now pressing is a conflict of interest.
Post 53 IP   flag post
If we're thinking "inflated" grades then they don't need to press to inflate grades. They could and would already be doing that. The whole concept of 3rd party grading is based on impartiality so if they're trusted for that then why not pressing?
Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
If we're thinking "inflated" grades then they don't need to press to inflate grades. They could and would already be doing that. The whole concept of 3rd party grading is based on impartiality so if they're trusted for that then why not pressing?

Steve said in a recent interview that the graders will not and cannot find out if a book was pressed and by whom. That pretty much put the impartiality argument to bed for me.
Post 55 IP   flag post
598062 982 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?