Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Pacoma7623 private msg quote post Address this user
Will the pressing show up on the label?like a restoration. A diff colored label?show up in graders notes?
Post 326 IP   flag post
Collector farseer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacoma7623
Will the pressing show up on the label?like a restoration. A diff colored label?show up in graders notes?

No, none of this will appear. The graders will not know that the books have been pressed prior to being graded
Post 327 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@Pacoma7623 when pressing is done properly it's undetectable by graders, and they are not told any information about what books are pressed.
Post 328 IP   flag post
Collector DaveSammy private msg quote post Address this user
I guess it's better to inquire here, I asked on the fb site & everyone thinks you're ticked off. If I was mad, I would use the other guys, but I like cbcs. I've never used a professional pressing service and I don't sell, everything I submit I keep or if I don't like it, will give away. I've heard pressing adds a month or so to the current 12 week waiting period. I'd rather have it done correctly and well, I hate submitting high end books and wondering "what if I got it pressed?".
Post 329 IP   flag post
Also, are the pressing notes ever available? It would be fantastic to see what was and what was not able to be improved. Some of my current submission is older books, so that would be a plus, although Mr. Ricketts might never get anything done if he added that service. Moreso a question from a newer submitter to the pressing game. Thanks!
Post 330 IP   flag post

@DaveSammy it's closer to two months added at this point.
Post 331 IP   flag post
Collector farseer private msg quote post Address this user
It was roughly 12 weeks for my books.
Post 332 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
@DaveSammy Pressing for standard tiers is currently around 12 weeks, though I am making some ground this week. Fast Pass tiers are about 4 or 5 weeks. I will be adding pressing turnaround to the weekly updates starting next Monday.

I don't know if notes will ever be something I offer because it would slow the process down so much. It would definitely be cool, but I think people would rather have their books pressed than to wait an extra 6 weeks because I'm taking notes on all the books.
Post 333 IP   flag post
Collector Mef private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
I think people would rather have their books pressed

You know us so well.
Post 334 IP   flag post
@SteveRicketts - thanks for the answer. I know you do good work & as usual, you are correct - I hope you can work your magic on my books when you get to them.
Post 335 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
Redacted - Think I found my answer.
Post 336 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
@Themaxx35 What's the answer? I was looking and didn't find it.
Post 337 IP   flag post
Collector Mr_adam_R private msg quote post Address this user
I looked also. I could not find it either.
Post 338 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar
@Themaxx35 What's the answer? I was looking and didn't find it.

Perhaps I redacted too soon. My question was do pressed books go to the back of the line for grading such that you are starting to count down the ~11 week TAT from the time it leaves pressing. It looks like that is the case based on @DarthLego 's response in post 331. He says pressing adds time, so I interpret that to mean that any time in pressing just adds to the 11 week TAT. It seems that as far as the grading side of the house is concerned, they treat your pressed books as having just received them like any other order. I hope I'm wrong about that, but I don't know how else to interpret the turn around tables Steve has provided and the discussion above. 😐
Post 339 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
I asked this same question yesterday in the current turnaround time thread, but didn't get a clear response. It would be good to get some clarity on this from CBCS.
Post 340 IP   flag post
From the anecdotal evidence I've seen from other members it seems to add on completely to the TAT, meaning you get to the back of the line after pressing as if you were just received. If this is wrong Steve or Jake will probably correct me.
Post 341 IP   flag post
Collector Mr_adam_R private msg quote post Address this user
I sent steve a pm and asked- he said that he did not know and that he would get back to me. as soon as I hear something, I will relay the info.
Post 342 IP   flag post
I have resigned my self to the fact that it will be 12 weeks to grade w/o fast pass PLUS another 12 to press. I think I'm sitting on 6 months minimum. Though I don't sell, so I'd rather have them pressed & cleaned well and take longer & get a better grade. The last time I fast passed, without pressing, I am still vexed. I pray whoever did that order stays the heck away from all of this order.
Post 343 IP   flag post
I guess I should follow with my observation that the pressing appears to get charged and paid immediately, so one assumes that every book on the order will receive a press and clean that will enhance the grade?
Post 344 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSammy
The last time I fast passed, without pressing, I am still vexed. I pray whoever did that order stays the heck away from all of this order.

That sounds like a story right there. What were the grades? any pics? perhaps better for another thread.
Post 345 IP   flag post
Collector J_Walker private msg quote post Address this user
New pressing / grading submissions that don't have fast pass for the modern, expanded or consumer tiers shows up with a 24 week processing time. 12 for the pressing and 12 for the grading.

I have multiple pending orders at the moment. Some with pressing and some without. So, I feel the pain on the 5-6 month wait time for orders that include pressing and aren't in one of the faster grading tiers.

Personally, I'm fine if people pay for fast pass or any of the expedited grading tiers and going ahead of my books in the grading line. Obviously they paid for that. However, it wouldn't be right if someone in the same grading tier (i.e. non-fast pass modern, consumer or expanded) goes ahead of my books in the grading queue simply because their books were pressed. If that was the case, and despite the added cost for pressing, I'd get all of my non-fast pass modern, expanded or consumer books pressed simply to get free expedited grading.

BTW, I recognize nobody actually said they felt their books should go to the front of the grading line. Just my two cents on why I think the current setup of going to the back of the grading line makes sense.
Post 346 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Walker
New pressing / grading submissions that don't have fast pass for the modern, expanded or consumer tiers shows up with a 24 week processing time.

Interesting. I haven't seen the 24 week processing notification. Mine got the only 12 week one when I submitted. I assume that they must have updated that since my submission. I think that notification pretty much answers the question.

And you're right, I didn't ask the question with the intent to suggest that pressed books should jump the line. Just clarification on the process.

Thanks for the info.
Post 347 IP   flag post
Collector keefriffhards private msg quote post Address this user
I would love a book that I could try pressing and then slabbing... years ago I bought a book that was 3.0 and I had dreams of it being higher but it actually got a 2.0... pressing might have helped!
Post 348 IP   flag post
@Themaxx35 Quote:
Originally Posted by Themaxx35
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSammy
The last time I fast passed, without pressing, I am still vexed. I pray whoever did that order stays the heck away from all of this order.

That sounds like a story right there. What were the grades? any pics? perhaps better for another thread.

It's not even really another thread. It's bother me since my submit, but I can do nothing about it now. Just thinking about it now makes me tired & mad.
Post 349 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
So looking at this thread, if you want your books pressed you are looking at a 1/2 year to get them back? If that is the case, might have to look at other options.
Post 350 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
New pressing / grading submissions that don't have fast pass for the modern, expanded or consumer tiers shows up with a 24 week processing time. 12 for the pressing and 12 for the grading.

I have multiple pending orders at the moment. Some with pressing and some without. So, I feel the pain on the 5-6 month wait time for orders that include pressing and aren't in one of the faster grading tiers.

Personally, I'm fine if people pay for fast pass or any of the expedited grading tiers and going ahead of my books in the grading line. Obviously they paid for that. However, it wouldn't be right if someone in the same grading tier (i.e. non-fast pass modern, consumer or expanded) goes ahead of my books in the grading queue simply because their books were pressed. If that was the case, and despite the added cost for pressing, I'd get all of my non-fast pass modern, expanded or consumer books pressed simply to get free expedited grading.

BTW, I recognize nobody actually said they felt their books should go to the front of the grading line. Just my two cents on why I think the current setup of going to the back of the grading line makes sense.

The system is putting in the maximum time on the invoice. We have a target turnaround range on all of our tiers for grading and pressing. The system is giving you a time that comprises the maximum times for each service.

Say you do a Modern with pressing. The target for Modern grading is "8-12 weeks" and the target for Modern pressing is "10-12 weeks." In this case the system would put "24 weeks" on the invoice.

In reality the turnaround on Modern grading could be 6 weeks, and Modern pressing could be 6 weeks. The system can't predict when an order will be done, so we have it show the maximum time from the targets.
Post 351 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
Quote:

The system is putting in the maximum time on the invoice. We have a target turnaround range on all of our tiers for grading and pressing. The system is giving you a time that comprises the maximum times for each service.

Say you do a Modern with pressing. The target for Modern grading is "8-12 weeks" and the target for Modern pressing is "10-12 weeks." In this case the system would put "24 weeks" on the invoice.

In reality the turnaround on Modern grading could be 6 weeks, and Modern pressing could be 6 weeks. The system can't predict when an order will be done, so we have it show the maximum time from the targets.

@SteveRicketts thanks. The system is what it is. The info on the cbcs site is less than stellar, so threads like this are a comfort. I can't control the wait. I'm assuming because I was charged a separate fee for the books upon receipt back in April, that pressing will be done on every book submitted in my case, because I asked for every one to get pressed. I'd rather get it done well & correct than rushed. I tried the rush technique the last time (without pressing) & I am sorry to this day - what's the use of getting your books back quickly if you are better off flushing all of that wasted money down the toilet.
Post 352 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
Mabey you guys should tell all your ebay customers the first time ever(never been pressed)special. Might be faster and cheaper.
Post 353 IP   flag post
The only way to tell a book is unpressed is to have visible pressable flaws. Buyers want everything to be NM.
Post 354 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
So looking at this thread, if you want your books pressed you are looking at a 1/2 year to get them back? If that is the case, might have to look at other options.

I'm grappling with this right now too. Problem I have is this: Some other pressers will take 3-6 weeks, if they're not slammed for pre-convention rush orders, to turn a book around. Add the shipping to and from and you could be in a ball park of 8 weeks. So that cuts down a little time, but there's a downside:

You are sending the books to the presser, sent back from the presser, sending/taking to the con (if you're getting it signed), and then sending to CBCS. Its an extra layer of shipping and handling that adds opportunities to damage or lose the book. Also, you're paying for all that extra shipping. If you send to CBCS you're cutting that cost and some risk out, which is nice.

At the end of the day, it seems like a wash. Pressing pre-submission may save a little time but entails risk and cost. Submitting to CBCS to press and grade all at once and your children could be in the next school grade by the time you get the books back. We pick our poison I guess.

This hobby is complicated.
Post 355 IP   flag post
598028 982 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?