Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
One other thing to keep in mind when dealing with a book like this is any movement can cause a spine split, broken pages, tears, etc. when you think of all the handling a book goes through when being dry cleaned and pressed it is during the cleaning that the majority of issues can be introduced. Even the softest set of hands can damage a book if the paper is worn too much or it is just too brittle to be handled.

So while a dry cleaning may make it look better it can definitely make things worse, even if the attempt to do it was done right.

Some books just need to be left alone. This may be one of them.
Post 251 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@kaptainmyke are you saying you bought the only copy to come to market in 4 years? Yeah, I'd send it to Steve and then keep it in that case.

Edit: With the caveat that Steve leave it be if the pages are brittle.
Post 252 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
@kaptainmyke are you saying you bought the only copy to come to market in 4 years?

Yep! That's why I acted on it, and apparently so did the other 18 different bidders. I figured it was like the TMNT #1, a $5,000 book selling for $25,000 at a 9.8? Ridiculous. But when I spotted this book was sitting at 900 all week people were taking notice of this $600 book super fast.
Post 253 IP   flag post

Post 254 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Seeing two people working together and coming to a mutually beneficial agreement just warms my cockles.

DITTO - except for the cockles part.

I do have a question, however. I'm assuming from the dialogue that removing the spine roll and cleaning the book would not be considered resto?

If I owned that book, I might be inclined to do the work anyway and Damn the grade. Considering the Classic cover, it would simply become an extra Sweet 3.0 and might be worth the cost.

But if it were then considered restored - a different story.

Way cool book in any event...
In a nutshell, if you can detect it, it's restoration. If you can't detect it, it's not restoration.
Post 255 IP   flag post

Collector burntboy private msg quote post Address this user
Simple, but probably as good as any other definitions...

I do worry about the cleaning on a book with all of these holes and chew marks, but I'd get the cleaning and spine roll removal in any event. With cream to offwhite pages it's hopefully not all that brittle...
Post 256 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
So many good conflicting viewpoints. Good observations by all.
Post 257 IP   flag post
Collector flikhype private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O Hi there, when we are making a submission, how do we indicate that which particular book requires a press?
There is no such selection available.
Please advise.
Post 258 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@flikhype for now, you need to write on the invoice which comics you want pressed. If you don't want all of your books pressed, I believe the ones you select for pressing will be split from the rest of your order and you may end up with two orders being shipped back to you. Maybe someone can clarify that. Or, you can email customer service and they should answer tomorrow.
Post 259 IP   flag post
Collector PeteN private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry if this has been asked...But was hoping Steve would be able to confirm...I asked at wondercon if pressing was available for raw grade submissions and was told at the cbcs booth that they didn't believe its possible, so for those books I couldn't submit. Is this true or was the booth person misinformed? thanks!
Post 260 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
@flikhype for now, you need to write on the invoice which comics you want pressed. If you don't want all of your books pressed, I believe the ones you select for pressing will be split from the rest of your order and you may end up with two orders being shipped back to you. Maybe someone can clarify that. Or, you can email customer service and they should answer tomorrow.

I would also suggest that until CBCS gets the pressing service integrated into the shopping cart that folks make separate invoices for their pressing books. Just to minimize possible mistakes, since they are going to be split anyway. Hopefully we will not have to wait much longer for this feature? #Soon
Post 261 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@flikhype I believe the ones you select for pressing will be split from the rest of your order and you may end up with two orders being shipped back to you. Maybe someone can clarify that.

Speaking from personal experience, that is exactly what will happen. You will pay for return shipment twice. In some cases, it is more cost effective just to have all books pressed...if I had know this ahead of time, I would done just that.
Post 262 IP   flag post
Collector flikhype private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Thank you Jesse and all who advised. I will drop those books requiring pressing then, cos I stay too far away and separate shipping is just not cost effective at all to me.
Thanks.
Post 263 IP   flag post
Collector CDoveAZ private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Quote:
@flikhype I believe the ones you select for pressing will be split from the rest of your order and you may end up with two orders being shipped back to you. Maybe someone can clarify that.

Speaking from personal experience, that is exactly what will happen. You will pay for return shipment twice. In some cases, it is more cost effective just to have all books pressed...if I had know this ahead of time, I would done just that.

That is exactly what I did. I figured the price to break apart my order was equal or more than just going ahead and pressing a book that I was not going to press.

Just kept the order together and applied a fast pass on the book that had the extended lead time so all books are now running the same lead time "together"
Post 264 IP   flag post
Collector brigand80 private msg quote post Address this user
So this is my 1st post to this forum and I just want to mention how impressed I am with CBCS as a whole. I have to admit when I first heard of CBCS, I thought they couldnt possibly compare with CGC. Boy was I wrong. Between this forum and hearing other collectors discuss the topic on other mediums, my eyes have been opened! So I just want to say thank you for great discussion points....and even the useless drivel.

Next, its been several months since the Cleaning/Pressing service has been integrated. Has the process improved or changed when getting books signed at conventions (witnessed by CBCS of course) and submitting for clean/press and grading?

Thanx In Advance and Keep Up The Good Work!
Post 265 IP   flag post
@brigand80 Welcome to the forum.
Post 266 IP   flag post
Collector Gwenlocke_Variant private msg quote post Address this user
just wondering how long does it usually take before the grading begins? i sent my books in on 3/6/17 to be screened and press before grading. i know it said it takes about 3-4 weeks turn around but does that apply when only 1 book is being pressed vs 10? Its been 2 months and i still dont know if my books are gonna need pressing or if they are being pressed or what not.

how long did yours take before it was done being pressed guys?

does my grading start date start the day the pressing is done? or do i just add 4 weeks to the total? for example currently CBCS is grading all submission received on 4/3/2017. and lets say that 4/3/17 is the day CBCS got my books.if i had mines pressed would i need to add a month meaning my books wont be graded till 5/3/2017?

thanks
Post 267 IP   flag post
@Gwenlocke_Variant The current TATs don't include pressing. Steve hasn't yet gotten a handle on predicting the pressing turn around. A good rule of thumb at this point is to expect pressing to be at least the same wait as the normal TAT. Therefore assume double the time of a normal submission.
Post 268 IP   flag post
Collector thpike private msg quote post Address this user
If I'm sending in a comic to be graded and I want to have it pressed first do I just write that on a sheet of paper before I package it up? I couldn't find any information in this thread other than breakfast suggestions. And being new to the forum and comics in general I just want to protect my book and make it looks nice. I have the order set up to go through I just haven't hit submit because I didn't want to miss something. Thanks!
Post 269 IP   flag post
@thpike you will have to write it on your printed invoice that you include with your comics. When CBCS receives an invoice that has both books to be pressed and not pressed they will split them into two invoices. Depending on how many comics you are getting pressed it might be a good idea to just go ahead and ship them as a separate invoice from your regular submissions to start with.
Post 270 IP   flag post
@DarthLego thank you! It's just one comic and its my first... be gentle with me
Post 271 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Gwenlocke_Variant The current TATs don't include pressing. Steve hasn't yet gotten a handle on predicting the pressing turn around. A good rule of thumb at this point is to expect pressing to be at least the same wait as the normal TAT. Therefore assume double the time of a normal submission.

I can tell you it took 8 weeks to press and 3 months total...before they were shipped back...which is about double the tat as darth noted. So if you go the pressing route don't expect them back until early September....maybe late August if you send them down now
Post 272 IP   flag post
Collector Gwenlocke_Variant private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

is that only if its being pressed? i already got charged for the prescreen... should i have gotten an email saying which ones are gonna be pressed out? just really dying to know which ones made it and which ones are not needed.

thanks
Post 273 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Quote:

I can tell you it took 8 weeks to press and 3 months total...before they were shipped back...which is about double the tat as darth noted. So if you go the pressing route don't expect them back until early September....maybe late August if you send them down now

I'm really not in any hurry to have it back. It's just for my own collection as it was just something I wanted done anyway for protection and safe keeping. I'm really digging this whole community though. Everyone is super helpful.
Post 274 IP   flag post
@Gwenlocke_Variant if any of your books failed the press screen they it is likely they would have been moved onto the grading queue. I'm not 100% on that, Steve would need to answer
Post 275 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
Plan on submitting my very first comics soon. Was wondering if the following imperfection would benefit from getting pressed. This is the back corner of my Iron Fist 14.

clickable text
Post 276 IP   flag post
@moodswing looks like a good candidate to me.
Post 277 IP   flag post
Collector Thanatos private msg quote post Address this user
How much does adding the fast pass cut down on the turnaround time for a press?

edit: Specifically for a Quickstream option* or just a general answer works.
Post 278 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
First if you have signed comic they dont do screening. Next if you get pressed they make you do fast and press together so you are paying 18 plus 40 for graded ashcans and 25 for shipping for one comic thats $83 for 1 comic. Is it worth it. Seems high
Post 279 IP   flag post
Well if you are stacking multiple services on top of each other, pressing, signature verification, fast pass, shipping only one comic instead of taking advantage of quantity shipping, yeah it's gonna be expensive. If the value of the comic doesn't warrant all those expenses then don't do that.
Post 280 IP   flag post
600892 982 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?