Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Graded

cracked out CGC Spectacular Spider-Man 1 back from CBCS18680

SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
A little backstory:
Back in 2016 I was slowly getting back into comic collecting (stopped around 1998)and wanted to have my 1st slabbed book. I got on eBay and picked up this Spectacular Spider-Man 1 CGC 9.6 and was hooked. Over the years I got really into slabbing and overall expansion/improvement of my collection. I got pretty good at knowing what CGC/CBCS would grade. This had me repeatedly going back and looking at my 1st slab… it still looked like a really nice 9.6 and even after learning much of grading I still thought it deserved a 9.8.
So back in October 2021 I cracked that old slab, looked it over closer than ever, then sent it to CBCS with no press needed.
I’m very pleased to see that CBCS agreed with me and relieved to have it back safely!

Post 1 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Nice!!
Post 2 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
Congrats on the book!

This will open the old can of worms about who grades tougher. I know of people buying CBCS 9.6 books hoping to get a 9.8 from CGC. I guess it works both ways.

Close your eyes and spin the wheel!
Post 3 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Risky move cracking out a 9.6...good call! Congrats on the 9.8...in a nicer slab too in my opinion.
Post 4 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by chester15
Congrats on the book!

This will open the old can of worms about who grades tougher. I know of people buying CBCS 9.6 books hoping to get a 9.8 from CGC. I guess it works both ways.

I really think CGC had graded it too tightly, otherwise I never would’ve tried a regrade. The “who grades tougher” is an argument fraught with nearly limitless variables when considering timeframe of grading and tier of the book. If I still used CGC I would’ve been just as likely to have it regraded there.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector grapeape private msg quote post Address this user
It's a beautiful book. I'm glad you got the 9.8.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
That's a gorgeous book! Good call, too. Congrats!!
Post 7 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Good deal. Just goes to show that a book is not defined by nor the sum of its label. We can have a new quote, "Never judge a book by its label."
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Travis private msg quote post Address this user
It’s really all in the eye of the beer holder or something. one guy might grade it a 9.6 the next day they might grade it a 9.8
Post 9 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Congrats!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Some 9.6's from either CGC or CBCS are just hit too hard.

I've gotten back CBCS 9.8's that should have been 9.6's and vice versa. Some undergraded, some overgraded.

Same experience with CGC.

That said, CGC was historically the tightest around 2002-2003 and one other year, I think around 2018 or so. There was another uber tight grading period but I can't recall when, those 2 stuck in my mi nd the moost and that thread isnt around anymore.

That is according to the data compiled by Vialiantman (spelling?) on a handful of books from multiple eras in the now deleted CGC Forums thread (from a couple years ago) "Is CGC grading too tight now?" (paraphrase, wish I knew the exact title thread so I could look it up to see if the charts Valiantman drafted up were saved via the wayback machine site. (if anyone has a link to archived pages from that thread, please post them here)

Back to this thread about the PPSM #1....

This is the kind of thread that helps grading get tighter at both companies.

As @ironman , more or less, pointed out in this thread, at post #27:

https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/18419/page/1/super-harsh-grading-lately-on-bronze-age-comics/#1

Here's that point, I'm highlighting in bold the problem with currently overtight, tight, tight tight grading at both CBCS and CGC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
1) It's the stain

2) Both CGC and CBCS are in my and many others' opinion stricter than a year or two ago.

3) @Rbolton You won't be happier with CGC as far as strictness of grading. I am certain CGC is usually/generally stricter.

4) The leading theory on the why of grading companies being strict - and the one I believe makes the most sense - is all the new graders.

You're the new guy or gal grading books. Haven't had your first annual appraisal. Others review your work. Do you want a reputation of being strict or loose?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosh
Quote:
Originally Posted by chester15
Congrats on the book!

I really think CGC had graded it too tightly, otherwise I never would’ve tried a regrade. The “who grades tougher” is an argument fraught with nearly limitless variables when considering timeframe of grading and tier of the book. If I still used CGC I would’ve been just as likely to have it regraded there.

How many books have you had graded by CGC in the past year?

Virtually all feedback I see indicates that both CGC and CBCS are hammering grades, across the board.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
Last year, when we got those stimulus checks, I was feeling kinda goofy. I didn't really need to buy anything, but my good buddy Donald told me I had to spend the money I got to help stimulate the economy.
So I went to Comiclink and bought 8 CGC 9.6s. They were all old cases (I find them easier to crack open) and I'm pretty sure they were all pre-2010. I cracked them all out & resubmitted them. No pressing ... this wasn't in hopes of getting rich, I was just doing some experimenting with some free money the government gave me.
Four of the eight came back the same (9.6), two came back higher (9.8), and two came back significantly lower (9.0).
I'm not sure what I can draw from this little experiment, but it was just something to do with some free money.
Post 13 IP   flag post
600659 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?