Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Ask questions here without starting a new thread 2022 - part 318670

I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte and @Jesse_O - He’s just pissed that Kate Winslet held her breath underwater for over 7 minutes and Sigourney Weaver held her’s for 6 and a half minutes while they were filming the Avatar sequel. They both broke Cruise’s record of 6 minutes that he set during filming for one of the Mission Impossible movies.
Post 176 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
So Tom cruise is doing a stunt where he jumps off a cliff with a motorcycle and leaves motorcycle parachutes to safety. He states it is one of the most dangerous stunts ever.

https://twitter.com/TomCruise/status/1604839778125430785?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1604839778125430785%7Ctwgr%5E72d712d1d747ce85af9a444996195f19536cd8e3%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-35239645583430141905.ampproject.net%2F2211302304002%2Fframe.html

Sixty years old and still doing his own stunts!!! The man is a beast!!!!

I am shocked the studio allowed him to do this! He's worth alot of money to alot of people and surprised insurance would allow it too.
Post 177 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
If a person is set on doing something, can you really say no to them?
Post 178 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
What's the best way to look up stamps to see if they're worth anything? I'm finding typing each price and description on ebay to be far too tedious.
Post 179 IP   flag post
Keep your $6.87 bro... not even saving tax with that. Cli4dR3D0g private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
What's the best way to look up stamps to see if they're worth anything? I'm finding typing each price and description on ebay to be far too tedious.

Maybe try the image search function on the eBay app? That might be easier, but also hit and miss based on the images.
Post 180 IP   flag post

The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I would try the image search in Google. You might get hits beyond ebay that may help determine value.
Post 181 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders

Use this website.

https://findyourstampsvalue.com/
Post 182 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
@flanders i sold a set (15 pages) of stamps 2 years ago on ebay - the best way to do is to list them on ebay on auction as a set for $200 starting bid. If it doesnt sell, drop it to $150 starting bid, then $100, then $50...

If there's anything valuable in the bunch, the bargain hunters will grab it.
Post 183 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
enjoying a beer outside in 0 degrees C while waiting for a comic shop to open (it only open 6 hours a week)
Post 184 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
enjoying a beer outside in 0 degrees C while waiting for a comic shop to open (it only open 6 hours a week)

@poka does it get a pretty big crowd in those 6 hours? Does it sit unused the rest of the week, or is it more like a pop-up business?
Post 185 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:

@poka does it get a pretty big crowd in those 6 hours? Does it sit unused the rest of the week, or is it more like a pop-up business?

during the 30 min i was there - the guy who runs the shop was a busy - but i found out that he has another storage where he keeps a lot of stuff so agreed with him for me to arrange a time to go through. it only opens a couple of days a week for 3 hours each time - as he can not commit to more. pic from the store

Post 186 IP   flag post
sorry pic is tilted 90 degrees
Post 187 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
sorry pic is tilted 90 degrees

I fixed that for ya. 😁
Post 188 IP   flag post
Iron man was accepted into national film registry.

https://d23.com/the-little-mermaid-and-iron-man-added-to-national-film-registry/
Post 189 IP   flag post
Facial recognition software in real time. Imagine the possibilities......

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/girl-scout-mom-kicked-radio-city-barred-seeing-rockettes-facial-recogn-rcna62606
Post 190 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
Facial recognition software in real time. Imagine the possibilities......

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/girl-scout-mom-kicked-radio-city-barred-seeing-rockettes-facial-recogn-rcna62606

wow! frightening on more than one level.
Post 191 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:

I really looked forward to his storage. He showed me 5 copies of ASM 300 and said he has 15 more. I will see if I can work something out with him which benefits both of us in the long run.
Post 192 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Howdy,

Can some of you explain what not?
I just went to the site and it looks like live stream sales.
Just curious how that works for buyers and for sellers. Thanks.
Post 193 IP   flag post
You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearmint67
Howdy,

Can some of you explain what not?
I just went to the site and it looks like live stream sales.
Just curious how that works for buyers and for sellers. Thanks.

Sure np, I've been selling on there for over a year now. WhatNot is a collectibles focused live auction platform. Sellers have to go through an application process and once approved can schedule a live sale at any time. Buyers are immediately charged for any bids won and sellers are either paid within 2 days or delivery or immediately if they've sold enough to unlock that feature.
They are also slowly adding in regular listings you can buy outside of live auctions but live is their main thing.
This last year they really went all in on comics, setting up at many major conventions and starting their own comic publishing company, along with releasing a ton of WhatNot exclusives.
They get a lot of hate and criticism, some fair but most of it centering around people not liking them hiring social media influencers to promote their brand and a lot of accusations of favoritism around those influencers.
On the good side, many artists and creators like Kirkham and Mayhew sell live on there, giving access to them that wasn't available before.
I was blessed enough to have Bill Morrison on for a special WhatNot sale we put together in November, and that never would have happened without them.
Maybe a longer explanation than you wanted but thats a pretty fair overview imo.
Post 194 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
@HotKeyComics Thanks, I was curious. I will watch a few to see what that is like.
Post 195 IP   flag post
Super stupid question.

Does this mean they have my book in queue? (My presser shipped my books to cgc, and they already showed up, and I would imagine he sent to cbcs as well given that they were the same order, but I didn't get tracking information from the presser)

Post 196 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte from that message, yes - it looks like they received your book.
Post 197 IP   flag post
Trying to learn.

Why would anyone buy comics on MCS if prices are better in eBay?

Conversely, why would people sell on eBay if theoretically speaking they can get more money on MCS?

Seems like each has good points depending on wha you’re trying to do…

Thanks
Post 198 IP   flag post
@multi007

For myself, I'd rather buy a raw from mcs than ebay any day of the week. Grading is strict to a point where a 9.0 is prolly a 9.2 or better. You can't get that from ebay.

As for prices mcs books are cheaper on their own site than eBay. But I don't know about other books.

Selling on eBay is faster. It takes 5 minutes to post an auction on eBay. Mcs you have to get your graded books submitted mailed and they they go over your slabs with a fine tooth comb. Then you post. Ebay is the wild west, you can post a blank sheet of paper and I don't think ghey will call you on it. Mcs raw I think you have even stricter guidelines. All this takes time.

Ebay let's you sell in lots where I don't see how you would do that in mcs. Uou can also sell non comic items besides art work. Currently I have a jim lee hex bag on ebay for example. Ebay is a lot more flexible in that regard
Post 199 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by multi007
Trying to learn.

Why would anyone buy comics on MCS if prices are better in eBay?

Conversely, why would people sell on eBay if theoretically speaking they can get more money on MCS?

Seems like each has good points depending on wha you’re trying to do…

Thanks

Both assumptions may be true at times, but I don't think either one is always true. MCS runs a weekly auction where the buyers dictate the price, not the sellers. MCS raw books come with a highly respected MCS grade label on them. I'm in no hurry to get my MCS raw books slabbed because they already have the most respected grade in the industry on the label. You can't get that buying on Ebay. As for selling, MCS is a concierge service that takes possession of the books, warehouses them, and does all of the grunt work for you. However, some people prefer to keep possession of their books and have the option of selling through multiple venues while listing on Ebay.
Post 200 IP   flag post
@Bronte @EbayMafia

I guess raw grades is where MCS shines. I recently bought on eBay, and it really does depend on who is doing the selling…. I’ve found that shop shops do well with accurate raw grades. Whereas the guy next door just gives their novice opinion. I’ve had one or two returns because of someone saying “this is a 9.8 book all day long” yet when received it looked like a reader’s copy. Lol

I guess that’s not a problem on MCS. Very good to know.

Thanks
Post 201 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
For graded books I look at all-in price and reputation/transaction risk. I buy from MCS, Ebay, Heritage, Comicconnect etc so at different times they all offer “best” value to a buyer.
Post 202 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
I think the raw grading at MCS is way to strict but most everyone knows that so it doesn't affect the price to much.

For example I've seen people say they bought a book from MCS at an 8.0 and sent to off to be graded with it coming back at a 9.2

You can sell raw comic lots on MCS only in their auctions but I believe they take %25 from the final sale price which is even more than eBay
Post 203 IP   flag post
MCS shines in raw grading to the buyer only...the seller gets pinched. I would never send MCS expensive raw books because I know they will grade way too harsh.

You never want to be too strict or too lax when grading. When you're one of those two things, someone is getting screwed. What you want is to be accurate, correct. Being too strict is just as bad as being too lax.
Post 204 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
I’ve had 7.5’s - 8.0’s come back as 9.8’s.
Post 205 IP   flag post
601279 999 30