Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Ask questions here without starting a new thread 2022 - part 318670

The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
So my buddy's husband asked if he should get some books graded. Apparently he has never submitted books to be graded. I'm like holy shit. Batman

Post 801 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte wow! Is he going to use CBCS? The cost would be a lot cheaper than the CGC walk through for some of those books.
Post 802 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte I don’t see any batman books. Or any DC at all.
Post 803 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte if he isn't trying to sell I would tell him not to grade anything. He would have thousands of dollars to buy more comics. Just my 2 cents
Post 804 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@flanders

I told him if it's for personal collection to use cbcs. If he plans on selling to use cgc

@Davethebrave

There are quite a few batman books but I dont recognize them as keys as readily as i would the marvel ones. That is a limitation of my own lack of exposure and skill.
The stack of books is like 30 books. I dont have patience to take pix of them all.

He has a ton of other books from what I understand, these are just the ones he thought had value. There could be a shit ton of other stuff, I don't know. He is a comic art guy first and foremost. These comics are just stuff he collected before he got into art.

@drmccoy74

Not saying the guy is loaded, but I don't think money is his drawback. I think time is his biggest obstacle. He is very busy. Personally I am suggesting he grades most of this stuff. You figure if anything it will help preserve tbe books and make it easier if he ever needs to sell them. His family has zero interest in comics.
Post 805 IP   flag post

" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte no worries. Was just kidding with the whole “I’m like holy shit. Batman.”
Post 806 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
@Bronte no worries. Was just kidding with the whole “I’m like holy shit. Batman.”

@Davethebrave for what it's worth, I got it.
Post 807 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Who’s Batman?
Post 808 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia

Sorry. By now you have to realize I have zero sense of humor and most things are taken literally.
Post 809 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte when does the time come to choose one company or the other for both aspects of grading? The only slabs I’ve sold that I sent for grading were CBCS and got FMV for them. Am I the exception?
Post 810 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
I've gotten fmv for CGC, CBCS, and PGX slabs.
Post 811 IP   flag post
@HulkSmash

I may be the outlier, but I had a bunch of spider-man 2099 1 cbcs 9.8 books they didn't sell as fast as cgc 9.8s and that was with a discount.

I'm not here to start a war. In my opinion,
cbcs is better for consistent grades and better slabs. However, if it's not a permanent personal collection I can't in good faith not tell him his options. I know the guy from working with him but I respect his family for what they have done for me, I laid out the information the clearest way I could and told him to make an educated decision with links to both sites. I am not going to omit information due to personal bias. I am only sharing what my experience is and I'm explicit in telling him I'm not an expert.
Post 812 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
@HulkSmash

I may be the outlier, but I had a bunch of spider-man 2099 1 cbcs 9.8 books they didn't sell as fast as cgc 9.8s and that was with a discount.

I'm not here to start a war. In my opinion,
cbcs is better for consistent grades and better slabs. However, if it's not a permanent personal collection I can't in good faith not tell him his options. I know the guy from working with him but I respect his family for what they have done for me, I laid out the information the clearest way I could and told him to make an educated decision with links to both sites. I am not going to omit information due to personal bias. I am only sharing what my experience is and I'm explicit in telling him I'm not an expert.

I think you gave him good advice. If he wants to sell them now, I would also consider sending about 80% of them to MCS to be auctioned raw and only slabbing the top 5 or 6 books.
Post 813 IP   flag post
The guy has been hemming and hawing on his collection for years. He definitely is not in a hurry. Just very busy. He is not trying to sell. For now, he just wanted to know if they are worth grading. I put all his books his wife handed to me today in a spreadsheet and gave him notes on why each book was significant and which books I think he should have graded first. Some are really high grade silver age stuff but not typical keys.

In my email to him, I also offered to do all the work involved in having them sent to be pressed and graded. (If he reimbursed me for the charges,) I have the time to take care of his entire collection. We shall see what he says.

Yes, his wife and I are like best buddies and they have done more for my family than I could ever hope to repay them in my lifetime. And that includes her saying I literally saved her life.
Post 814 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte I understand. Just an honest question😎
Post 815 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Ray Stevenson.....the Punisher has passed. 🙁
Post 816 IP   flag post
As it turns out, banks do carry a small amount of 2$ bills on hand in case you want them.

I traded a 20$ and there was no problem.
Post 817 IP   flag post
Has anyone figured out how the Eternals are going to be worked back into the current MCU? Is it likely to include the Celestials? The Celestials have always been kind of my long shot bet for a surprise major role in the MCU.
Post 818 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
As it turns out, banks do carry a small amount of 2$ bills on hand in case you want them.

I traded a 20$ and there was no problem.

I always thought $2 bills were cool. Years ago I was telling my female coworkers how I was going to start carrying those $1 coins on me to pay for stuff. They ridiculed me and started calling me Frodo. Needless to say, I never tried to get any from the bank, even to this day.
Post 819 IP   flag post
@flanders

Susan b anthony coins?

I hoard those too. Lol

As for the 2$ bills, I have a buddy that has everything I can think of and trading amazon gift cards during events was pointless. I decided I would start including a 2$ bill with a hallmark card. You figure if anything you can look cool giving the hospital valet a tip or what not.

Small enough to not trigger a gift conundrum. Yet unique enough to show you care.
Post 820 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte I didn't think US currency came in $2 bills...I thought you went from $1 to $5?
Post 821 IP   flag post
@GAC

Yes. It's kinda obscure but it exists and is in circulation.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_two-dollar_bill
Post 822 IP   flag post
Quote:
@GAC

Yes. It's kinda obscure but it exists and is in circulation.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_two-dollar_bill

one learns something new everyday. 🍻
Post 823 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Does anyone like Cosmic Ghost Rider? Seeing as he doesn’t have the traditional punisher skull? I guess I don’t remember a hubub about it like the Hand version of Frank.
Post 824 IP   flag post
Collector ATinyTurtle private msg quote post Address this user
Hi, fairly new to this -- I'm trying to submit some comics to get artists' signatures and remarks with the June 1st signing going on. Filling out my submission, when I go to the bottom with "Add Authentic" it only gives me the option to type in the artist's name and date of signing. Is there another place I should specify that I want remarks on it?

Thanks!
Post 825 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@Bronte I didn't think US currency came in $2 bills...I thought you went from $1 to $5?
only weirdos use the $2 bill…
Post 826 IP   flag post
@HulkSmash I just gave 2 out as bday gifts and I have one in my wallet all the time. Thstsc3 weirdos on one fell swoop
Post 827 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

You're thinking of the $3 bill. All the cool kids use the $2 one.
Post 828 IP   flag post
Quote:
@HulkSmash I just gave 2 out as bday gifts and I have one in my wallet all the time. Thstsc3 weirdos on one fell swoop

Post 829 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

You're thinking of the $3 bill. All the cool kids use the $2 one.
I meant only weirdos and @flanders 👍🏻
Post 830 IP   flag post
598060 999 30