Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Ask questions here without starting a new thread 2022 - part 318670

Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Anyone else see the IH181 9.8 sales results this past month? Yikes. Down 50% from peak after some weird results late last year even as other grades were falling like stones.

Makes me wonder if some multi-copy speculators made a last ditch effort to bid up and drive hype - but now forced to capitulate.
so there’s a chance I could pay what it’s actually worth? Damn careless spenders are keeping me from hulkies😒
Post 401 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Anyone else see the IH181 9.8 sales results this past month? Yikes. Down 50% from peak after some weird results late last year even as other grades were falling like stones.

Makes me wonder if some multi-copy speculators made a last ditch effort to bid up and drive hype - but now forced to capitulate.

Can you post the pricing chart? im always lookout out for a Hulk 181 actually...
Post 402 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
9.8 sales. 9.6 sales have more datapoints but similar pattern (with the exception of a much, much earlier peak). My “weird results” is in reference to Ih181 9.8s doing well in second half 2022 even when other grades had already collapsed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by multi007
Quote:

Can you post the pricing chart? im always lookout out for a Hulk 181 actually...
Post 403 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Interesting tidbit on the My Comic Shop Order Terms page of their website.

Shipping to Prisons

Unfortunately we are unable to ship to prisons because orders shipped to prisons are frequently blocked by prison administration. Reasons they cite for blocking comic shipments include concerns about content as well as the potential for staples to be used to make weapons.
Post 404 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
I know two people who have bought high-end books of $20,000 or more in the past 10 years. They have only sold them when they wanted to shift their money from a comic book to a stock investment. They always look at the long term returns. "With a stock can I get 5X with a comic book Can I get 2X?" I suspect the drop on some of these higher end books (and not all of them by the way, but some) are people wanting to cash out of the book to go into the stock market for whatever reason. There’s a handful of stocks that will be going up 3x to 5x in the next five years. So they think - "I'll sell my hulk 181 and buy that stock instead". they are always thinking long term returns.

at least the two people i know are. lol
Post 405 IP   flag post

To do that market math you need some objective basis for expected returns. That wasn’t in focus for most during the latest bubble and bursting of certain segments. It was greed and greater fools.

Edit: I see you edited. Yes, some people do the comparisons and adjust. Agreed. I also think some (many) just buy to collect and won’t sell regardless. They are likely not acquiring during booms in the hopes of near-term cashing out. Likely not moving the needle on the books that did spike and subsequently fall, however.
Post 406 IP   flag post
Quote:
To do that market math you need some objective basis for expected returns. That wasn’t in focus for most during the latest bubble and bursting of certain segments. It was greed and greater fools.

Edit: I see you edited. Yes, some people do the comparisons and adjust. Agreed. I also think some (many) just buy to collect and won’t sell regardless. They are likely not acquiring during booms in the hopes of near-term cashing out. Likely not moving the needle on the books that did spike and subsequently fall, however.

Yes, I had to edit because I was doing the “talk to text” thing while driving and it just messed up all sorts of meaning that I was trying to come across. Lol.

👍👍
Post 407 IP   flag post
Collector Reelgee private msg quote post Address this user
can anyone tell me whats the big deal about mark jeweler inserts? and show me one??
Post 408 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelgee
can anyone tell me whats the big deal about mark jeweler inserts? and show me one??

@Reelgee Mark Jewler was a lower priced jeweler who marketed to guys in the military and accepted bi-weekly payments for their goods. The insert comics were sold primarily on military bases so the survival rate and "in grade" rate is thought to be low. The insert means they are thicker than the non-insert counterparts. In my opinion it's one of the most culturally significant variants:

Post 409 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia agree. I am pretty indifferent to variants but find the MJ inserts a bit different. Still wouldn’t personally place much added value but I understand the appeal.
Post 410 IP   flag post
Collector Reelgee private msg quote post Address this user
@EbayMafia Thanks When I was at Ft. Bragg "82-85" there was no comics on base i had to go off base. but i do remember seeing those inserts at the PX but no books
Post 411 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Who's mouth am I messing about with??

Think I'm getting the hang of it....onto the nose??

Post 412 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Wolverine?
Post 413 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
For anyone that has aarp medicare advantage, they cover partial glasses and partisl dentist at costco and ppo dentist.
Post 414 IP   flag post
-Our Odin-
Rest in Peace
Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics Nick Fury?

Or Kojak.
Post 415 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Who's mouth am I messing about with??

Think I'm getting the hang of it....onto the nose??

My initial guesses were J Jonah and Fury but admit the cigar vs. cigarette part (and stash) is throwing me off…

So I’ll say Constantine instead.
Post 416 IP   flag post
Fury it is - still have some practice to go to get it right though!!
wasn't looking at the source so copy of a copy gets worse and worse!!
there were 1 or 2 that were close though

Post 417 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Has anyone ever made an offer on a book listed on My Comic Shop that did NOT have a Best Offer option and successfully receive a price reduction?
Post 418 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Has anyone ever made an offer on a book listed on My Comic Shop that did NOT have a Best Offer option and successfully receive a price reduction?

How do you make an offer if the option is not available?
Post 419 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson

is that even possible? I thought you could only make an offer if the "Best Offer" link was there
Post 420 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I never thought of it, but MCS also owns books for sale and I'm sure if it's a higher value book, even on consignment, calling or emailing them a reasonable offer seems like a great idea.
Post 421 IP   flag post
“.” “.”
——-
Post 422 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@Davethebrave

We're you successful?
Post 423 IP   flag post
I'm a McNugget guzzler. HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user

Post 424 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
@Davethebrave

We're you successful?

—-
Post 425 IP   flag post
Saw this on instagram. Kind of cool that there's no rush and it's valid until the end of March.

Post 426 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad

That show gave me night mares as a kid in the 70's...
Post 427 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
@flanders Is that on a specific tier or any submission?
Post 428 IP   flag post
@Nearmint67 they aren't providing any more details on their page or bio. I'm assuming it's 15% off any grading submission of 5 books or more. It would be nice if CBCS was more thorough though and could clarify if it can be used for pressing and vsp as well, but in the past it's meant grading only. I'll post a comment and see if they respond.
Post 429 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

Post 430 IP   flag post
615422 999 30