Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Ask questions here without starting a new thread 2022 - part 318670

Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
@Davethebrave yup. less people are home now - many are back to work - the last thing on their minds is getting their favorite collectible graded.
Post 376 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by multi007
@Davethebrave yup. less people are home now - many are back to work - the last thing on their minds is getting their favorite collectible graded.

Less about back to work, more about big drops in speculative books (particularly around MCU/Marvel characters) plus this:

Post 377 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
Random Rants:

Am i the only pissed off over the weather in Texas?

I missed out on 2 book signing deadlines because books I ordered STILL hasnt seen any movement by MCS or 2 ebayers from TX. MCS just showed my Ren and Stimpy books were shipped (ordered 2 weeks ago) but too late now... I'll have to hang on to them for another Billy West signing.

What more frustrating is when you send a book off to be pressed - THEN a week or 2 later someone announces a private signing for the book you just sent to pressing... you NO LONGER HAVE IN YOUR POSSESSION!

(this forum needs an angry emoji)
Post 378 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Am i the only pissed off over the weather in Texas?

Highly unlikely that you are the only one. Your reason for being pissed off is what differentiates you from a few hundred thousand other people.
Post 379 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia yea i guess in the grand scheme of things, i should be glad im not there and hopeful for their safety...
Post 380 IP   flag post

I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
It's over now but yeah, we had no mail for three days, and on the fourth day it was all junk. Nothing moving whatsoever. I really feel bad for my carrier today, and he said yesterday he could see the avalanche coming.

On the pleasant side we kept a toasty fire going even we did burn about $80 worth of cheap firewood. DFW's not made for that kind of weather.
Post 381 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by figment
It's over now but yeah, we had no mail for three days, and on the fourth day it was all junk. Nothing moving whatsoever. I really feel bad for my carrier today, and he said yesterday he could see the avalanche coming.

On the pleasant side we kept a toasty fire going even we did burn about $80 worth of cheap firewood. DFW's not made for that kind of weather.

yea I didnt mean to be dismissive of those in the area. Im glad you are ok.
Post 382 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
yea I didnt mean to be dismissive of those in the area. Im glad you are ok.

No worries, didn't take it that way. I'm just thankful we didn't spend four days stranded at the airport.
Post 383 IP   flag post
Anyone know the value of a graded 8.5 Adventure Comics 346?

Thanks
Post 384 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Thanks

Tough to say, but it’s probably not close to the $1,000 someone on eBay is asking. Not many recent sales to go on. The last 8.0 sold for around $250 in 11/2022, and a 9.2 sold for around $1,500 about that same time. I would guess maybe in the $500 range.

I have a lower grade reader copy and this one that I had Jim Shooter sign several years ago (his first professional work at DC - he wrote the LSH story and did the interior pencils too, at the age of 14!).

Post 385 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Quote:

Thanks

Tough to say, but it’s probably not close to the $1,000 someone on eBay is asking. Not many recent sales to go on. The last 8.0 sold for around $250 in 11/2022, and a 9.2 sold for around $1,500 about that same time. I would guess maybe in the $500 range.

I have a lower grade reader copy and this one that I had Jim Shooter sign several years ago (his first professional work at DC - he wrote the LSH story and did the interior pencils too, at the age of 14!).

Ed, that a very high grade low grade book! Looks great!
Post 386 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC - Angelo, I had him sign my high grade copy, not my reader copy.
Post 387 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@GAC - Angelo, I had him sign my high grade copy, not my reader copy.

OK, that makes sense because that book looks awesome!!
Post 388 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user

Post 389 IP   flag post
@Bronte thanks Brontë. That’s what I was looking to pay. $400 ish..

@esaravo Yea, I sent him a $400 offer, got countered at $800. I’m not even considering it so I just declined it.

I’ll be patient.
Post 390 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Can anyone tell me the current value of a Marvel Treasury Edition....

#1 9.6
#2 9.6
#3 9.6
All white pages.

Thank you kindly.
Post 391 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@Pre_Coder

Stupid question on my part. I thought treasury was too large to grade? If that's the case only raw graded unslabbed would be from cbcs and I dint think they have a census on raw graded....
Post 392 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
@Pre_Coder

Stupid question on my part. I thought treasury was too large to grade? If that's the case only raw graded unslabbed would be from cbcs and I dint think they have a census on raw graded....

Not a stupid question. They are not too large to grade, just too large to encapsulate.

Myself and 2 other individuals gave them the raw grade.
Post 393 IP   flag post
I know books were signed for decades (and still are) without being yellow label witnessed, or even Beckett verified...

What are your thoughts about buying a modern autographed book raw?
Post 394 IP   flag post
Quote:
I know books were signed for decades (and still are) without being yellow label witnessed, or even Beckett verified...

What are your thoughts about buying a modern autographed book raw?

Love to buy them, if I was interested and not paying a meaningful premium.

Many signatures on many books add virtually zero value. In those cases there is little risk of forgery because who cares. Even if a forgery, if you don’t know and don’t expect to make $ off it, does it really matter?

If purchasing for value then I would need evidence to support the likelihood of it being a) genuine and b) viewed as genuine by a subsequent buyer.
Post 395 IP   flag post
@Pre_Coder - Those are extremely difficult to find in really high grades, but are pretty common in low to mid-grades. I would guess there are not too many copies in 9.6. Since VF copies of #1 sell for around $100, I would say in the $150-200 range, maybe even a little higher. For #2 and #3, probably around $100 each, but very few actual high grade sales to compare them to. Those must be some beautiful copies. If you need some more, I have a few myself (but not as nice as yours).

Post 396 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
I thought treasury was too large to grade?

An experiment was done trying to see how these would hold up without a hard plastic case. They didn't turn out too bad. They were graded and sealed in the rigid plastic like CGC does with concert posters. The problem was due to the thickness if the books, it was difficult to get a seal that wouldn't pop open. To solve this the plastic would need to be shaped into having a well prior to it being sealed. Maybe someday One of the companies will dive into this and spend the money to get it done.

Post 397 IP   flag post
@multi007

With authentication being 25$ per book and higher costs of grading from cbcs I would opt for raw or witnessed unless the book is signed by someone unique.
Post 398 IP   flag post
Anyone else see the IH181 9.8 sales results this past month? Yikes. Down 50% from peak after some weird results late last year even as other grades were falling like stones.

Makes me wonder if some multi-copy speculators made a last ditch effort to bid up and drive hype - but now forced to capitulate.
Post 399 IP   flag post
@Davethebrave The comic boom was an anomaly. In order to make sense of sales data and extrapolate some insight on specific books, I think the comic boom sales data needs to be removed and check to see if the sales point before the boom meets the sales data point after the boom in an upward trajectory. If the sales trajectory is still upward trending, that's the real insight.
Post 400 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Anyone else see the IH181 9.8 sales results this past month? Yikes. Down 50% from peak after some weird results late last year even as other grades were falling like stones.

Makes me wonder if some multi-copy speculators made a last ditch effort to bid up and drive hype - but now forced to capitulate.
so there’s a chance I could pay what it’s actually worth? Damn careless spenders are keeping me from hulkies😒
Post 401 IP   flag post
Quote:

Can you post the pricing chart? im always lookout out for a Hulk 181 actually...
Post 402 IP   flag post
9.8 sales. 9.6 sales have more datapoints but similar pattern (with the exception of a much, much earlier peak). My “weird results” is in reference to Ih181 9.8s doing well in second half 2022 even when other grades had already collapsed.

Quote:
Quote:

Can you post the pricing chart? im always lookout out for a Hulk 181 actually...
Post 403 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Interesting tidbit on the My Comic Shop Order Terms page of their website.

Shipping to Prisons

Unfortunately we are unable to ship to prisons because orders shipped to prisons are frequently blocked by prison administration. Reasons they cite for blocking comic shipments include concerns about content as well as the potential for staples to be used to make weapons.
Post 404 IP   flag post
I know two people who have bought high-end books of $20,000 or more in the past 10 years. They have only sold them when they wanted to shift their money from a comic book to a stock investment. They always look at the long term returns. "With a stock can I get 5X with a comic book Can I get 2X?" I suspect the drop on some of these higher end books (and not all of them by the way, but some) are people wanting to cash out of the book to go into the stock market for whatever reason. There’s a handful of stocks that will be going up 3x to 5x in the next five years. So they think - "I'll sell my hulk 181 and buy that stock instead". they are always thinking long term returns.

at least the two people i know are. lol
Post 405 IP   flag post
601460 999 30