Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Movies Television

Nobody's Talking About Black Adam?18634

PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
I saw it on Thursday, and Saturday. I liked it a little better the second time around, somewhere in the 4/5 range for a CBM. Basic comic book story, with some bad dialogue at times, but generally average writing. It doesn't preach to you, and I suspect that's why the audience reactions and scores are so high. VFX are generally great, though there are some areas of disappointment, such as you can clearly tell it's an actor in front of a green/blue screen with no set pieces. The sound effects and score are great, making it feel like the movie fits right into the DCEU. Although I despise them in non-Marvel movies, the credit scene in this is the best of them all.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
They are, it was just in a different thread. I'm really looking forward to watching it... and the next Superman movie!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
@theCapraAegagrus
Thank you for a non-spoiler-ific review that still tells me something about the movie. I was planning on seeing it, but not sure when. I'll probably be moving it up the schedule and checking it out sooner rather than later.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
I liked it.
Post 4 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
I had hoped to see it this past weekend but it didn't happen. I'll be in Baltimore this coming weekend so it ain't happen then. Hopefully the following weekend.
Post 5 IP   flag post
For those concerned with Dwayne Johnson's acting; He was surprisingly great in this. Not to say that he's normally bad, because I enjoy his shtick as The Rock in most things, but it felt like he actually put himself in Teth-Adam's shoes for this role. I can't recall any scenes when he broke character for a single Rock-like moment, either. I guess all of the fight scenes got that out of his system in this one.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector dfoster43 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm really psyched to see live-action Dr. Fate. The rest is just icing and gravy.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
They special effects are the best part of the movie. Sorry if that's a spoiler.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector cesidio private msg quote post Address this user
Honestly I thought it was below avearage. Lots of eye candy but not a lot of meat on the bone. Should have 20 minutes longer to flesh things out.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector dfoster43 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesidio
Honestly I thought it was below avearage. Lots of eye candy but not a lot of meat on the bone. Should have 20 minutes longer to flesh things out.

Possible Director's Cut, maybe?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfoster43
Quote:

Possible Director's Cut, maybe?
at least the entire movie wasn’t cut.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Surf75 private msg quote post Address this user
Dwayne Johnson was the best part followed by, not so much Bronson but really all the Fate effects, those were dope. Adam's screen reveal was cool but everything else was straight Wednesday night CW effort mixed with rudimentary cape movie elements at this point. Hoping there is an extended cut.

S
M
A
L
L
S
P
O
I
L
E
R

A focal point of the protector statue and Adam staring at it was pretty cool.
Post 12 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
We saw Black Adam last weekend and absolutely loved it. It was cookie-cutter superhero story but very well executed. I may go see it again this weekend.

Not the best movie I've ever seen but it was fun.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Should have 20 minutes longer to flesh things out.

I definitely agree with this.
Post 14 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like (near-term financially) it can be labeled a flop. Nearly $200M budget and likely cracking only $400M = decent size loss on the film itself. To the doubters, I won’t show the math this time.

It will likely make *just* enough for an unknown character film to merit inclusion in a broader universe. Particularly given the actor involved and very strong audience reviews. It seems Dwayne Johnson was not a strong enough draw to overcome a) weaker DC film “must see” base b) weak critical reviews and c) lack of broad recognition of the character.

Of course a China release would change the math slightly given Dwayne Johnson’s fanbase there. That seems at best a 50/50 probability.

Edit: I say “near-term” financial loss as I think combined with other bigger name characters, the introductions here can have major long-term value. More like early MCU and less like recent MCU.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I'll watch if it makes it to one of our services but honestly we have gotten out of going to in person films. Would have to be something I reallllly want to see to a)pay the prices and b) sit in a room with potentially hundreds of people. Certainly staying away from people right now as we have a December vacation and don't want anything to jeopardize anything!
Post 16 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
I saw it this past weekend. It was okay.

As others have mentioned, some of the dialog was kind of hokey. I didn't think that Atom Smasher and the tornado woman (Cyclone???) really added much of anything to the movie. Atom Smasher seemed to be included mainly for comic relief except that his "funny" lines and moments were usually pretty lame.

I did like Black Adam himself, Hawkman and Dr. Fate. All three actors played these parts well. I could see them appearing in future movies, although more than likely as supporting characters and not leading roles. Of course, we all expect Black Adam to fight Shazam at some point.

So, all in all, it was okay. About what I expected. I'll watch it again once it shows up on HBO Max. I wouldn't pay to see it a second time in theaters, though.
Post 17 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
I haven’t seen a movie in theaters for a few years. Granted, I have a very nice home setup but… yeah, I am not contributing to the box office of any of these movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
I'll watch if it makes it to one of our services but honestly we have gotten out of going to in person films. Would have to be something I reallllly want to see to a)pay the prices and b) sit in a room with potentially hundreds of people. Certainly staying away from people right now as we have a December vacation and don't want anything to jeopardize anything!
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Haljordanfan private msg quote post Address this user
Just watched this tonight. I didn’t think I’d ever get around to it, as the genre has gotten stale for me. I’ve given up on Marvel at this point, so fingers crossed for DC.

I’m not sure where the hate for this movie came from fans & critics, but if you thought going in you were getting Shawshank or Citizen Kane, may I remind you, he was a 6’5 WWE star that concentrates on action films and mild chuckles from his charismatic personality.

I enjoyed it for what it was, an action movie about magical beings destroying things over the course of 4000+ years. Entertaining? Yes. Riveting? No.
Post 19 IP   flag post
@Haljordanfan

WARNING: I may have put a minor spoiler in here, so read at your own peril if you haven't seen the movie yet.

I agree with you. I saw it very recently (last night, in fact), and while it certainly wasn't Oscar material, I found it entertaining. I thought Pierce Brosnan as Dr. Fate was a stroke of genius and I really enjoyed how bad-ass Hawkman was. Dwayne Johnson was able to inject enough pathos into Black Adam to win over some sympathy, which was essential. On the less-awesome end was too much CGI (no surprise there) and a near-total waste of Atom Smasher because he was just there for comic relief, which is a piss-poor excuse for the character to be there in the first place. Pacing got a little choppy, too, but not too bad. Fast-paced for the most part, but that's what made the few slower bits really stand out.

All in all, it was not a waste of my time, and I did enjoy it. It just won't be joining the Top Tier DC movies and will instead be at home in the middle. Definitely not bottom-of-the-barrel material at all, IMHO.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I kind of liked it. The kid on the skateboard is stale. I was hoping for the mom to turn into Isis, who I think has a big future as a character. Black Adam is a pretty enjoyable character. DC is getting closer. They have the meats, just gotta find their lane.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
The kid on the skateboard is stale.

Here I go with more SPOILER:

He got a little tiresome, that's for sure. He needed to be there in order for Black Adam to re-connect with his humanity, but he didn't need to be a stereotype. I would have liked him better had he been a scholarly kid who loved the ancient history of his country (and if he chose to commute to school via skateboard that's fine), rather than a super-hero-worshipping kid with mad skater skills.
Post 22 IP   flag post
600736 22 22
This topic is archived. Start new topic?