Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeQuestions

How “Key” is a “Key issue”? Your opinion?18560

Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
@ComicHoarder yes that is it. I have not read it nor do I own it, but was one of many many “keys” on Key Collector that raised an eyebrow.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Is the term "key" subjective?

If so, we'll never agree on what books are "key".

If it's objective, then we need to nail down a definition.
I would say it is not subjective. The problem I see while I have been using Key Collector is that extremely minor details are noted as some sort of key moment. That is why I asked the question.

We have our obvious keys that redefine genres like AC1, AF15 that stated a Marvel flagship, HoS92 that introduced a very desirable character and so on.

Then we these “keys” that are keys before they are even released with some being wildly obscure and sometimes moot.

As far I can see; only time can tell what becomes a key, but I’ll happily provide overpriced drek to the market.
Post 27 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixgunSamurai
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
Deaths of characters, costume changes, not keys to me.

I’d agree that these aren’t necessarily keys, but can be.

First appearance of Daredevil’s armor suit? Not a key. First red costume Daredevil? Key.

First Iron Spider? Not a key. First black suit Spidey? Key.

Death of Batman? Not a key. Death of Bucky? Key. Death of Gwen Stacy? Key.

My friend and I have been discussing this recently and we question the validity of What If as first appearance keys. “What if Jane Foster was Thor” is called a key as the first appearance of Jane Foster as Thor... but that’s not the first appearance of 616 Jane Foster as Thor.
I consider Hulk number 2 a key book because it's the first Green Hulk but don't consider Fantastic Four number 3 a key because its thier first uniforms and fantastical. People's opinions may differ as to what a key is unless it's obvious I guess.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
@drmccoy74
I believe that personal opinion plays a part in determining what is and is not a key in one's own PC. If there's an obscure character you enjoy and you really want that character's first appearance and you want to treat it as 'key,' then it's key. There's no harm in it so long as you have your reality check in place if it comes time to sell the book and no one else wants to pay an inflated price for your 'key.'
Post 29 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
@KatKomics

I thought ghost was coming back as part of thunderbolts?

Yup. As far as I know, that is the case.

I wasn't aware... I think I'll stand by it though. Character is a nothing in publishing (could be wrong on that too!!) and lets give it a few years after the movie to see if any of it has legs
Maybe Crossbones? or yellow jacket or Lawrence Fishburns character...was is Black Goliath?. There are many that only become "keys" because of a few minutes in a movie or show...no real legs,
I think of keys almost like blue chip stock...there may be ups and downs but in the long run they have fundamental "value" based on a strong foundation weather it be story, character milestones, iconic covers etc. Alot of others are like tech stock...no one thinks they are in a bubble untill it bursts! Maybe a few will move to blue chip stock but many more will be penny stock (Nokia, Blackberry etc)
Post 30 IP   flag post

A lot of great responses and interesting how different and similar some opinions are.

I subscribed to a year of key collector more so to help organize what I may be able to sell online and what goes in the used book store trade-in pile.

It blew my mind to see what is considered key and the ocean that worthwhile key books are floating in. Key Collector isn’t a complete resource for keys either (they miss things and certain variants are considered key with only ratio value) furthering the mind blowing.
Post 31 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Every book is key to completing a run.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave

very true!! - some cheap but still difficult to find books (in the right condition) have taken some time for me to complete a run or two over the years!
Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave

And there it is. This is why 'key' has a subjective definition. I remember completing a run of Daredevil back in the 80's and my big hold-out was #132. Not #131 or even #1, but #132. It took me AGES to track one of those $%^&*@! things down. Believe me, it was very, Very key to me.
Post 34 IP   flag post
What is not a key??!!!

Megaton #5 - first interior work by Liefeld!!!!
Post 35 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
What is not a key??!!!

Megaton #5 - first interior work by Liefeld!!!!

I actually have one of those, but I didn't get it because of Liefeld. I bought it off the rack when it came out. No one gave a monkey's who Liefeld was then. What a shame that's changed.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
If “Bullet, the Gun Boy” winds up in Peacemaker, it will be a key, otherwise just another comical character.

Post 37 IP   flag post
597889 37 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?