Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user

Post 51 IP   flag post
This is a simple Sorcerer's Stone printed in clear red for a co-worker’s Hagrid from Harry Potter costume. I processed this one a little differently than normal, skipped the alcohol rinse after printing, and went straight to curing to get a shinier, clearer finish.

This is some anime character from an anime/manga done for a different co-worker. He paints warhammer figures so he’s excited to paint this one himself

Post 52 IP   flag post
I’m calling this one finished. The skin tone was tough but it ended up better than my first attempt lol

Post 53 IP   flag post
I’m trying to get a group together to start playing BattleTech. I’ve loved the MechWarrior video games for ages but never really checked out the tabletop game. Now that I have a 3D printer combined with this Humble Bundle of Battletech books, I figured it was time to take the plunge!

The dark minis are the official ones from the Beginner Box (included in the Humble Bundle) and the lighter ones are the ones I printed myself

Post 54 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite
Battle tech was fun. Played a little Back In The Day. Hope you find your group! Tabletop games are the best.
Post 55 IP   flag post

Thanks! I have like one or two cousins coming over on Sunday for a bit of a paint & play party. Trying to snag a couple of co-workers, too.

Battletech’s less intimidating to start with than Warhammer’s giant armies and I already like the property from the video games. I also watched the Saturday morning cartoon over the weekend. It’s actually pretty cool for what it was!

Post 56 IP   flag post
Hosted my first game night. It was rather hastily put together plus throw in some rain and it ended up just being my cousin and I. We watched some playthrough videos and some painting tutorials. We did some painting but my cousin wanted to get home during a break in the rain so we didn’t get to any actual gaming lol. It was still fun and I learned I need some better lighting in the play area. I just ordered a couple of LED work lights to help illuminate the room

Here are my Mechs. The one in front was the one included in the official box set (notice the plain base) and the others were 3D printed. I wasn’t planning on painting the official one until I had started on the other two so it didn’t get a black primer layer so it doesn’t have some of the contrast of the other two. I did paint one leg a different color as if it had been hastily repaired from another wreck

Overall I’m happy with them being my first miniatures. When I get home I’ll probably add the scorch marks on the left mech’s missile launcher since I like the look on the other two

Post 57 IP   flag post
Game night #2 tomorrow! Got a few more people set to come by. Been 3D printing stuff all week. Everyone that comes by tomorrow gets the three starting mechs. I’ve also got terrain, dice, and bases made up

Post 58 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite
That is SO cool. Have an amazing 🤩 time.
Post 59 IP   flag post
@Byrdibyrd Thanks! I’ve got beer and chips on the ready and I’ll be getting some chicken wings (we got pizza twice at work this past week so I’m a bit pizza’d out lol)
Post 60 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite
Sounds like the best time ever to me! 😁
Post 61 IP   flag post
D’oh! I made a stupid mistake (again) and tore the plastic film at the bottom of the resin vat so my 3D printer is out of commission until the replacements arrive from Amazon next week. A few people are getting late Christmas presents 😅
Post 62 IP   flag post
While I wait for my supplies to arrive, I figured I’s finish painting this one I’ve had on the table for a while

Unfortunately, Han’s head has suffered catastrophic damage in the intervening weeks and will have to be reprinted 😅
Post 63 IP   flag post
Chibi Raven from Teen Titans. This might end up being a gift for a friend

Post 64 IP   flag post
Finished painting this one last night. I just need to spray on a matte finish and then apply some gloss on the eyes

On the BattleTech side, my cousin came over yesterday and we played a few games from the simplified Beginner’s Box rules. In our 2-on-2 game he rolled a really lucky shot and practically one-shot one of my mechs

Post 65 IP   flag post
Whenever you have a monkey riding a horse, I'm in. Tom74152 private msg quote post Address this user
I think you got really good, really fast!
Post 66 IP   flag post
@Tom74152 Thank you! It’s been a fun hobby to take on!

I added two more mechs for my BattleTech game. I used washes this time to darken the lower details like panel lines and crevices. My group is still working it’s way out of the basic rules so these five mechs are the ones included as minis and standees in the beginner box.

Post 67 IP   flag post
Those Battletech mechs are fantastic! Nice washes to get the 'used' look.
Post 68 IP   flag post
@Byrdibyrd Thank you! I do like the dirtied up look. I really like how the busted up car on the Locust’s base came out. I put a gloss layer on the window and then specked it with green and red paint to try to make it look dusty and ruined.

There’s definitely tons I need to learn as far as painting minis. Some people get pretty damn good painting armies of Warhammer minis
Post 69 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite
Painting minis can get pretty intense. I was into tabletop roleplaying for a long time (wouldn't mind getting back into it), and I did a lot of my own painting. No photos, unfortunately. Characters, monsters, set dressing, you name it. I still have a lot to learn, and there are people who make a career out of it. I see their minis and I'm just stunned!
Post 70 IP   flag post
I grabbed a couple old minis and had a quick photo shoot. Just grabbed a random box, so here are a few monsters. They're really old minis from back when they were made on a 25mm scale rather than the current 28mm standard scale, so they're really dinky.

I have a giant:

This is a really tiny manticore:

I was pleased with how this diatryma turned out:

Post 71 IP   flag post
Those are really cool! I haven’t really painted any organic stuff. Honestly, even without being attached to a game, painting minis can be a fun hobby in itself. Hell, Marvel’s coming out with it’s its own tabletop RPG system so you can have an excuse to paint comic-related minis, too!
Post 72 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite
Marvel actually had an RPG back in the 80s, I believe. I may even have it in the garage somewhere. It wasn't that great, but it wasn't so bad that it died out right away, either. It lingered for a couple years before it quietly dropped out of sight. Right now is a pretty good time to give it another try.
Post 73 IP   flag post
I took a week off from work and I spent most of it painting my friend’s mechs. I was in the mood to paint but hadn’t settled on a color scheme for my next mechs.

They're supposed to be blue with red stripes but I think the red was too dark and got a bit lost after the washes and highlights. Two of the minis were primed in light gray and the other three in black

Also, after finishing my last two mechs, I felt that my first three didn’t quite match in quality so I went back and touched them up with some washes, details, and some work on the bases.

Here’s the three how they originally looked

Here’s after the touch ups. I really like how the splash effect came out on the front mech. You can’t really tell from the photos but the base is supposed to be like a shallow stream over a rocky bottom. It looks better in person. Maybe the water could use some white foam to make the surface detail more visible

Post 74 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Two of the minis were primed in light gray and the other three in black

Black primer is great! Grey is nice, too. White has always been a problem for me. Tends to show every brushmark unless you put a bunch of coats on.

Those minis look amazing! I think the red stripe works, IMHO. The faded look makes the mechs seem battered.
Post 75 IP   flag post
Historically I’ve worked over a gray primer. Even the previous mechs that I’d primed black I’d put a gray paint over and mostly worked off of that. So this was my first time really working over black primer. I did have go with about three layers of the blue base coat.

I’m not super happy with the decals. Mostly because I had to compromise. Normally I’d print them on a clear paper but part of the decal needed white and I can’t print at home so I had to go with a white decal paper. Unfortunately the white paper makes the edges super clear which weakens the effect.

I think the flocking and bushes on the base really add a bit to the base’ appearance. I also used some torn up cork as rocks

Post 76 IP   flag post
I painted a few more mechs to complete the Game of Armored Combat lineup. I painted these using mostly the same colors and techniques but these came out a bit duller. I think this could be due to two possibilities. 1 - I did the dry brush highlights in white instead of silver. Not using a proper dry brush, perhaps there was yoo much wet paint on the brush which means the white might’ve washed out the layers underneath. 2 - It’s been unusually rainy and thus humid recently. So when I sprayed the matte finish and left them to dry outside, the humidity could’ve caused the coat to get cloudy.

I’m not too bothered since I still know they’re mine on the table. I’ve played a few games with the fuller Game of Armored Combat rules. Last time I played 1-on-1 and we both ended up minus a leg and fallen over. Unfortunately, I’d ended up with a missing arm so I couldn’t shoot while on the ground so the only thing I could do was ATTEMPT to stand, and I fell over (and took additional damage), going in and out of consciousness every time while my opponent took pot shots at me from the ground until I finally died. It was still a whole lotta fun!

With a few more games under my belt I’ll add the Clan Invasion expansion and paint the five clan minis next

Post 77 IP   flag post
FINALLY got around to panting this one. It probably sat around for a few mo ths with just a basecoat but I used it as an opportunity to break in my nee dry brushes.

Post 78 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite

So I wasn’t super satisfied with the way these mechs came out so I leaned into the gray by adding some speckled gray camo and some decals identifying them as part of the Gray Death Legion

I also painted a replacement set more in line with the rest of my light blue mechs

Post 79 IP   flag post
okay, I’ e been working the machine overtime these past few months!

These came along well u til the finishing step when I had trouble with my gloss sprays. I think the nozzle got clogged. Stuff fell over, surfaces were sticky and some small pieces broke off of C3-PO

I’m still doing my mostly weekly Battletech game and things are escalating. We’ve been doing successive scenarios and it’s going to cap off with a big base assault. We’ll also be including some dropships. The mission will end with one of our forces escaping to an orbiting jumpship!

Post 80 IP   flag post
601228 92 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?