Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector dfoster43 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Does anyone here have a 3D printer or have any thoughts or questions about it?

The first thing that came to mind is the movie In the Line of Fire. I'm glad the members here are sticking to making toys and shaving kits .

Speak for yourself! I have like 800MB of 3D files for all sorts of cray cray ephemera I just don't have a printer yet
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlift
here's a few things I made for the grand kids.. the main use of this printer was to make proto-types for my sons business.. But in my spare time..

And Hulk Yoda and Wonder Woman getting ready for sealing and painting..

I LOVE Hulk Yoda! LOL!! I would read that book in a second. Gamma metachlorians FTW!!

Did Wonder Woman come with the camel toe or was that a printing artifact?
Post 27 IP   flag post
Johnny, where are your buccaneers?
Johnny: Under my buccan hat.
Gotlift private msg quote post Address this user
@dfoster43

Wow I'm getting old (75) I never noticed that.. I will have to check the finished model and see if it's actually there
Post 28 IP   flag post
check this site it's loaded with stuff to print.. https://www.thingiverse.com/
Post 29 IP   flag post
Use this to seal before painting.. regular bondo works as a filler.. it's available on amazon

Post 30 IP   flag post

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
My latest prints. Learning there’s a bit of art and science that goes i to supporting the models. Need just enough heavy supports in the tight places to support the model but not so many that you ruin the surface taking them off.

Also, I’m gonna take a break for a little bit. I need to filter out the alcohol I use to clean the models. There’s enough leftover resin in the alcohol that it’s leaving a thin layer stuck to the model resulting in a grainy surface that obscures details. I had chalked it up entirely to the anti-aliasing but I don’t think that’s the case. I’m also gonna give the screen a good cleaning and probably replace the plastic film

New print on the left

Some Lord of the Rings prints

With a Quarter for scale

Post 31 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfoster43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlift
here's a few things I made for the grand kids.. the main use of this printer was to make proto-types for my sons business.. But in my spare time..

And Hulk Yoda and Wonder Woman getting ready for sealing and painting..

I LOVE Hulk Yoda! LOL!! I would read that book in a second. Gamma metachlorians FTW!!

Did Wonder Woman come with the camel toe or was that a printing artifact?

nope no Camel toe detected must have been the lighting

Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
Forgot about this 3D Printed piece.

When looking at it directly without a backlight source:

With a light source:

Post 33 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
@GanaSoth
That is VERY cool.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Well, it’s been a learning experience but I’m getting to where I am getting more successful prints more often.

These came out of the printer earlier today. Still need to work on supporting the chains better but otherwise it’s like 90% of the way there! Still need to print the base but that will probably be sometime early next week.

I’m looking forward to painting this one as well! The license on the 3D model was royalty free so I might sell painted and unpainted prints in the future if/when I can get this perfected

Post 35 IP   flag post
Just used up the last of my resin for the moment (new delivery coming in on Tuesday).

I printed up a figurine of Bad Kuchi Kopi from Bob’s Burgers. I just finished sanding down the support connections and I’m just letting the primer coat dry before painting.

I also printed up the base for my Daredevil bust. Again, it’s like 90% there but a few of the supports broke in the printing.

Post 36 IP   flag post
So I got my new resin and it’s been working really well despite the more budget price.

I printed these yesterday, mostly as gifts. For some reason the first one’s right arm did not print properly but the other two came out great! I removed the rear left foot to match my own bearded dragon. I love that they are flexible and it’s really cool that the joints all printed in place, except for the heads which were separate pieces that snap in

I also got the subscription to a modeler’s Patreon that allows me to sell prints of their models (same team that did the Daredevil above so the modeling quality is outstanding!). I’ll ask Jesse how much I can post about offering that here but for now just send me a PM if you’re interested!
Post 37 IP   flag post
Finished printing this one earlier today. I’m just going to sand some of the adjacent edges, particularly on the base then apply a simple paint job.

I spoke with Jesse and will be starting a selling thread over the weekend. I’ll be offering Star Wars and (most likely) some Marvel models in various sizes. I’ll also be open for printing service in case you have a 3D model you’d like printed
Post 38 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite
That is such a cool bust!
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
@dielinfinite
That is such a cool bust!

I don't think he busted it, those parts should slot right back together!
Post 40 IP   flag post
@Byrdibyrd Thank you! What I like about this group’s models is that there are swappable parts for a lot of these models. For this one, for example, there is an option without the helmet so you see old Anakin’s scarred face from Return of the Jedi. And for the Imperial Logo there is one that includes the name “Darth Vader”
Post 41 IP   flag post
So Vader’s a rather simple color scheme so I threw a quick paint job on. This one is pending a sale

Post 42 IP   flag post
NICE job!!
Post 43 IP   flag post
Currently working on making a 3D printed 1/1400 scale model kit of the USS Ares from the Star Trek fan film Prelude to Axanar based on an original 3D model by David Metlesits. I had to get some help from a reddit group to fix some issues on the hull but I think my next major hurdle is figuring out the supports on the nacelles so they don’t come out looking hideously ragged

Post 44 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
An ink miser so you can use all the ink from the bottom of a jar

Accidentally printed rafts?? feels too substantial to just break off...will leave for now

free print at the library!

Post 45 IP   flag post
@KatKomics That’s awesome! I’ve never been able to write more than a few letters before running out of ink with those pens. I know the reservoir doesn’t hold a ton of ink but are you supposed to dip for every word?
Post 46 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@KatKomics That’s awesome! II’ve never been able to write more than a few letters before running out of ink with those pens. I know the reservoir doesn’t hold a ton of ink but are you supposed to dip for every word?

might have been the type of pen? I've been using one of my pens for a few days now with no need to refill - I think it holds 1.5 ml? - just counted - about 7 ish pages - maybe call it 5 for spaces etc.

Some can hold as much as 3 ml - probably last forever!
Most are converter, cartridge or eye dropper (can fill the whole body with ink) rather than the old dip and write.

Other things can impact how quick you run out too - like a broad or medium nib vs a fine or extra fine so you are laying down more or less ink

A new thing for me to go down a rabbit hole on for a bit!

Now to see about printing a fun pen holder!!
Post 47 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@KatKomics That’s awesome! I’ve never been able to write more than a few letters before running out of ink with those pens. I know the reservoir doesn’t hold a ton of ink but are you supposed to dip for every word?

Did “those pens” have a reservoir at all? Some dip pens don’t and that would explain the constant dipping.
Post 48 IP   flag post
@Davethebrave I’m pretty sure they did. Those small reservoirs that are part of the nib.

Printed this today! It’s not glued together so not everything is perfectly in place in the photo. I’m probably gonna paint it and put it up for sale. It’s about 3.5” tall

And the render

Post 49 IP   flag post
Luke Skywalker! This one has a buyer lined up! I’ll have Han Solo done soon and Princess Leia will come up next!

This one was difficult to get a picture of since the pieces don’t hold together well without being glued in. This will be going up for sale in my other thread in my FS thread this weekend

Post 50 IP   flag post

Post 51 IP   flag post
This is a simple Sorcerer's Stone printed in clear red for a co-worker’s Hagrid from Harry Potter costume. I processed this one a little differently than normal, skipped the alcohol rinse after printing, and went straight to curing to get a shinier, clearer finish.

This is some anime character from an anime/manga done for a different co-worker. He paints warhammer figures so he’s excited to paint this one himself

Post 52 IP   flag post
I’m calling this one finished. The skin tone was tough but it ended up better than my first attempt lol

Post 53 IP   flag post
I’m trying to get a group together to start playing BattleTech. I’ve loved the MechWarrior video games for ages but never really checked out the tabletop game. Now that I have a 3D printer combined with this Humble Bundle of Battletech books, I figured it was time to take the plunge!

The dark minis are the official ones from the Beginner Box (included in the Humble Bundle) and the lighter ones are the ones I printed myself

Post 54 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite
Battle tech was fun. Played a little Back In The Day. Hope you find your group! Tabletop games are the best.
Post 55 IP   flag post
600884 92 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?