Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Historically I’ve worked over a gray primer. Even the previous mechs that I’d primed black I’d put a gray paint over and mostly worked off of that. So this was my first time really working over black primer. I did have go with about three layers of the blue base coat.

I’m not super happy with the decals. Mostly because I had to compromise. Normally I’d print them on a clear paper but part of the decal needed white and I can’t print at home so I had to go with a white decal paper. Unfortunately the white paper makes the edges super clear which weakens the effect.

I think the flocking and bushes on the base really add a bit to the base’ appearance. I also used some torn up cork as rocks

Post 76 IP   flag post
I painted a few more mechs to complete the Game of Armored Combat lineup. I painted these using mostly the same colors and techniques but these came out a bit duller. I think this could be due to two possibilities. 1 - I did the dry brush highlights in white instead of silver. Not using a proper dry brush, perhaps there was yoo much wet paint on the brush which means the white might’ve washed out the layers underneath. 2 - It’s been unusually rainy and thus humid recently. So when I sprayed the matte finish and left them to dry outside, the humidity could’ve caused the coat to get cloudy.

I’m not too bothered since I still know they’re mine on the table. I’ve played a few games with the fuller Game of Armored Combat rules. Last time I played 1-on-1 and we both ended up minus a leg and fallen over. Unfortunately, I’d ended up with a missing arm so I couldn’t shoot while on the ground so the only thing I could do was ATTEMPT to stand, and I fell over (and took additional damage), going in and out of consciousness every time while my opponent took pot shots at me from the ground until I finally died. It was still a whole lotta fun!

With a few more games under my belt I’ll add the Clan Invasion expansion and paint the five clan minis next

Post 77 IP   flag post
FINALLY got around to panting this one. It probably sat around for a few mo ths with just a basecoat but I used it as an opportunity to break in my nee dry brushes.

Post 78 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite

So I wasn’t super satisfied with the way these mechs came out so I leaned into the gray by adding some speckled gray camo and some decals identifying them as part of the Gray Death Legion

I also painted a replacement set more in line with the rest of my light blue mechs

Post 79 IP   flag post
okay, I’ e been working the machine overtime these past few months!

These came along well u til the finishing step when I had trouble with my gloss sprays. I think the nozzle got clogged. Stuff fell over, surfaces were sticky and some small pieces broke off of C3-PO

I’m still doing my mostly weekly Battletech game and things are escalating. We’ve been doing successive scenarios and it’s going to cap off with a big base assault. We’ll also be including some dropships. The mission will end with one of our forces escaping to an orbiting jumpship!

Post 80 IP   flag post

CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
The base isn’t done still but I already have a world of finish work to go. It’s hard to see the ruler off to the side.

Post 81 IP   flag post

Post 82 IP   flag post
@HeinzDad Holy how! The size is impressive! What kind of 3D Printer are you using?
Post 83 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite, it’s in numerous pieces.

We have 2 24” Raise 3d’s, and 3, 12” Prusa’s, with a 24” Prusa on pre order. Most of this was done on the new MK4 Prusa that just came in.
Post 84 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Nothing exciting but very functional... Bought a workmate work bench for $30 but 1 of the things that locks the legs either folded for storage or down for use was broken... 30 min at the Library!!!

Another is cracked but working...might have to print another!!!

Post 85 IP   flag post
@HeinzDad Those are some good-sized printers. Filament, correct? Mine is a Mars 3 and the screen is only 6.6” so quite a bit smaller than yours

@KatKomics It’s always cool when a 3D print is actually practically useful. Libraries are especially cool for offering free 3D prints. one of my first prints was an adapter for my new smart lock that wasn’t available in the box. I did have to replace it since the plastic couldn’t handle the repeated stress forever. We’ve since reprinted the part in steel and haven’t had to reprint it since
Post 86 IP   flag post
They aren't my printers @dielinfinite. I have to be clear. We have those at work and the head cheese is cool. They are filament. A resin printer is right up there in the mix though, probably soon.
Post 87 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite yup!! Thingiverse and free prints at the Library are fun for a few things around the house!!

Can't remember but somewhere there are free design programs too..not sure if I could figure stuff out though..still old school so I'm making molds etc.
Post 88 IP   flag post
@HeinzDad Ahh, Gotcha! Still cool to have access to them, though! Nice large beds for larger parts, too. Resin printers are nice for the finer detail and I mostly use it to print miniatures so the small size still works for most of my uses. A couple of the buildings in my large play area were actually too big for it so I had to slice them in two and glue them together.

@KatKomics Blender is a popular free 3D modeling software. I haven’t fiddled too much with it though. I think it’s mostly used for games and animation but you should be able to export stl files for 3D printing.

I was trained on 3DS Max, primarily but I also have my student licenses to fall back on. Otherwise I wouldn’t be able to afford it.

There are also 3D scanning apps for advanced phones and tablets that can create quick and dirty models from existing objects
Post 89 IP   flag post
I have one coat of gesso done.

Post 90 IP   flag post
I AM... THE Bat-Manuel MurrayC private msg quote post Address this user
Not sure if I shared this before...

Classic Batman logo that I created in AutoCAD

And the logo when printed

Post 91 IP   flag post
I reached a stalemate on the Usagi for a while but I finished priming and sanding. He’s officially ready for paint. This photo doesn’t look different but I took some close ups to show the finish. We print extremely fast so surface imperfections are expected. I put two coats of Liquitex gesso on and sanded the whole thing. The stuff is thick so it did a good job filling in the ugly’s.

Post 92 IP   flag post
601366 92 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?