Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeQuestions

Advice on a new run to collect18539

I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
I always liked Scott Snyder's run on Batman at the start of new 52.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
I'm looking to possibly collecting a new run. I would like to ask advice on what runs people have enjoyed collecting and reading. I am not looking to go batshit crazy on something that is 600 issues. Did that once, I'm good. Lately, I have been into shorter run series from the 70s into the 90s. Anthology, horror, hero, etc. I'm not overly concerned about the speculator/flipper/profiteer aspect. I am more interested in good reads and art.

Some of what I am bouncing around is:
-Wonder Woman #1-62 (Perez run)
-Green Lantern (1990) #1 to 100ish. I liked Emerald Dawn I and II plus some of the Kyle Rayner stuff.
-Wonder Man (1990). Short run, offbeat look to it.
-Marvel Fanfare. Found a few issues in the dollar bins. Looks entertaining enough.
-Hulk. Peter David's run. Might just do the stuff with McFarlane art.

Any thoughts on these, forumites? Any other suggestions? Just looking to try something different.

Try collecting a complete run of any of the 150 issue or so long runs of girls romances, girls loves stories, heart throbs, secret hearts, young romance, young love or falling in love.

First issues are cheaper than many of the early-mid 1960's 🔑 issues from each of those respective titles.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicHoarder
Try collecting a complete run of any of the 150 issue or so long runs of girls romances, girls loves stories, heart throbs, secret hearts, young romance, young love or falling in love.

These books are cooler than folks might think. The artwork is very nice, especially if you're partial to pretty ladies, and the stories can have some top-notch drama in the classic sense.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
@Studley_Dudley what did you decide on?
Post 54 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
How about Ren & Stimpy? I have some #1s to get you started.
Post 55 IP   flag post

Collector Reelgee private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
god I wish I never let my kids watch that show
Post 56 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcanes
@Studley_Dudley what did you decide on?

I'm leaning towards Marvel Fanfare since I plucked 1/3 of the series out of the dollar bins in NM condition.

I'm going to look at Green Lantern 1990 series but only start with the first 25 issues and go from there.

I might also look at American Flagg and Wonder Man.

Quote:

When I was a kid, I used to buy those at the grocery store. Good stuff. I actually got rid of mine a few years ago in an effort to clear space. Kinda ironic now considering all the space I use.
Post 57 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
When I was a kid, I used to buy those at the grocery store. Good stuff. I actually got rid of mine a few years ago in an effort to clear space. Kinda ironic now considering all the space I use.

That’s ok. I blame cartoons.

Post 58 IP   flag post
Collector Fads89 private msg quote post Address this user
That Texas Blood is a good series to pick up.
Post 59 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@Studley_Dudley
I've been reorganizing and re-boxing some of my books today. Some of what I'm seeing takes me back to my roots in 80's collecting. Here's a few thoughts, pretty much all cheapies:

The Nam
Micronauts
Rom
Strikeforce Muratori
Elementals (already mentioned)
Dreadstar
Moon Knight first series
Johnny Quest
Grendel 1st color series
New Teen Titans first series
Moon Knight appearances (back in the day my brother and I hunted down all the books that had Moon Knight appearances before the first series came out. I think we got everything except WWBN 32).
Post 60 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Why not the best single storyline ever constructed in comic book history, the fourth world Trilogy with Mister Miracle, new gods, forever people, and accompanying issues from Jimmy olsen and Lois lane....superb massive tapestry type storyline to read all in a row properly
Post 61 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Why not the best single storyline ever constructed in comic book history, the fourth world Trilogy with Mister Miracle, new gods, forever people, and accompanying issues from Jimmy olsen and Lois lane....superb massive tapestry type storyline to read all in a row properly

I agree!

Post 62 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
No offense, but I found all that Third World stuff convoluted and maddening. I couldn't wade through it.
Post 63 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
No offense, but I found all that Third World stuff convoluted and maddening. I couldn't wade through it.
Kamandi was a little more user friendly
Post 64 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
No offense taken, but you lay the books out in the order issued, read the storyline as it was meant to be read, including the Lois lane and Jimmy olsen issues and it forms a massive tapestry that is pretty much unequalled since. I agree the lack of a good ending, and the various attempts to hijack the series to add new endings, and then bring the characters back has gotten way out of hand for sure. But the original series and its entries do form a rather good read.
Jack Kirby received a Shazam Award for the original metaseries in the category "Special Achievement by an Individual" in 1971.[70]

In 1998, Jack Kirby's New Gods by Jack Kirby, edited by Bob Kahan, won both the Harvey Award for "Best Domestic Reprint Project" and the Eisner Award for "Best Archival Collection/Project".
Post 65 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Jack Kirby 100% intended the story to be finite and have a definitive ending. DC brass got involved and didn't allow Kirby to do that forcing him to change his original story idea on the fly.
Post 66 IP   flag post
Another point worth making here...the title of the thread is advice on a run to collect. From that standpoint this is a solid target for collecting with its dozens of key first appearances, from Darkseid to highfather, Big Barda to Mister miracle, its supposed satire of Stan lee, all of the kirby writing and art, and even its age and time period issued. This storyline is coming up on being 50 years old soon, so vintage definitely fits here. Classic kirby art, storytelling, and multiple new characters introduced make this a sold run just to collect, nevermind read
Post 67 IP   flag post
also

Spiderwoman 1-50
Dazzler 1-50?
My Marvel 1-21
She Hulk 1-18? I think or so
Supergirl 1-9

All those vintage girl character titles from the 70s and 80s are seeing a new level of exposure nowdays
Post 68 IP   flag post
Quote:
also

Spiderwoman 1-50
Dazzler 1-50?
My Marvel 1-21
Supergirl 1-9

All those vintage girl character titles from the 70s and 80s are seeing a new level of exposure nowdays
whats my marvel??
Post 69 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelgee
whats my marvel??

Maybe Ms. Marvel?
Post 70 IP   flag post
@Byrdibyrd
Post 71 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Going through this thread while re-boxing my dreck inspired me to fill in the holes in my Elementals and original New Teen Titans runs. Kind of looking forward to reading those runs again, 35 years later.
Post 72 IP   flag post
Collector Ginosdad private msg quote post Address this user
@EbayMafia.....same!! Between this thread and the latest Stargirl episodes, I've started picking up Infinity Inc. issues.
Post 73 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
also

Spiderwoman 1-50
Dazzler 1-50?
My Marvel 1-21
Supergirl 1-9

I do have full runs of Dazzler, Spider-Woman, Ms. Marvel, Savage She-Hulk, and Sensational She-Hulk. Nothing but love for the ladies. Love me some Dazzler and Dakota North. Those are all in my girl power box. I don't have much in the way of DC chicks. Thought about a Huntress run since it is 19 issues.
Post 74 IP   flag post
the seventies run of supergirl is sort of campy but its a good investment with the backup stories the first several issues being Zatanna, as well as reprinting her origin in issue 5 I think issue 7 even has a supergirl/Zatanna cover

another good run of books to get is Adventure comics from around issue 400, and then supergirl stories begin, as well as more Zatanna fillers. 428-430 give the intro and origin of black orchid, and then issues 431 forward through 440 have Spectre covers and stories with awesome covers by Aparo.....
Post 75 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginosdad
@EbayMafia.....same!! Between this thread and the latest Stargirl episodes, I've started picking up Infinity Inc. issues.
That is a vastly underpricced and well done run of books with alot of intros scattered through the stories.

Also worth noting Mcfarlane apparently did pencils and or covers for issues 13-38 or roughly 25 issues....go find a series that he has done with 25 consecutive issues by Todd priced as cheaply as these books are now. ...not the easiest thing to do these days
Post 76 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
another good run of books to get is Adventure comics from around issue 400, and then supergirl stories begin, as well as more Zatanna fillers. 428-430 give the intro and origin of black orchid, and then issues 431 forward through 440 have Spectre covers and stories with awesome covers by Aparo.....

Those Spectre stories are great. Lots of criminals meeting horrific deaths. Just great.
Post 77 IP   flag post
Collector cesidio private msg quote post Address this user
My opinion thor Simonson run. Two more movies in the works. Seems like a safe bet
Post 78 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesidio
My opinion thor Simonson run. Two more movies in the works. Seems like a safe bet

Simonson's Thor is excellent. Great art, great storytelling. Love it.
Post 79 IP   flag post
597965 79 29
This topic is archived. Start new topic?