Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeQuestions

Advice on a new run to collect18539

Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I'm looking to possibly collecting a new run. I would like to ask advice on what runs people have enjoyed collecting and reading. I am not looking to go batshit crazy on something that is 600 issues. Did that once, I'm good. Lately, I have been into shorter run series from the 70s into the 90s. Anthology, horror, hero, etc. I'm not overly concerned about the speculator/flipper/profiteer aspect. I am more interested in good reads and art.

Some of what I am bouncing around is:
-Wonder Woman #1-62 (Perez run)
-Green Lantern (1990) #1 to 100ish. I liked Emerald Dawn I and II plus some of the Kyle Rayner stuff.
-Wonder Man (1990). Short run, offbeat look to it.
-Marvel Fanfare. Found a few issues in the dollar bins. Looks entertaining enough.
-Hulk. Peter David's run. Might just do the stuff with McFarlane art.

Any thoughts on these, forumites? Any other suggestions? Just looking to try something different.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user
I liked the Marvel Fanfare myself. I enjoyed the different covers for front and back. Unfortunately, I stopped collecting the run after issue #9. I had them up for sale a while back…no takers. I decided to sell off what I have and not finish the run. 😕
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector ticktocktyler private msg quote post Address this user
I want to get into Immortal Hulk.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
I really enjoyed Immortal Hulk. I read the TPB and am working on filling 1-20 in high grade to complete the 50.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
Batman 400 - 500. Some quality in there.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Stardust_Memories private msg quote post Address this user
Jon Sable Freelance
Elfquest
Cerebus
Strikeforce: Morituri
Espers
Post 6 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
The Alan Moore "Swamp Thing" issues from the 80s are a good read.

The 80s Teen Titans books are good reads with excellent George Perez artwork.

I think I have a bunch on the 90s GL books, raw and in nice condition, if you're interested. Just PM me if you are.
Post 7 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
... oh and the 80s "Justice League" books with Kevin Maguire artwork are really good. You may want to read the "Legends" mini-series before reading them since the new JL team is formed in that mini-series.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector sigep815 private msg quote post Address this user
The Marvel 25th frame covers are one of my favorites.
Post 9 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Peter David Hulk? WTF are we asking questions for? Go ahead and throw iconic Dale Keown covers in with the McFarlane's, ahem...

Not helping the OP at all but Immortal Hulk was the best title for me for years.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Can’t go wrong with Perez WW! Fanfare has some great material. It is a little hit or miss, but the hits are really great and different from the usual Marvel fare. As far as something to recommend, I am going to suggest Jonah Hex. It is probably the best comic that I wasn’t reading back in the 80s that I am enjoying now. Back issues are somewhat hard to find, but there are a couple of Showcase Presents volumes that are affordable and available that you can start with. Hope that helps!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
to take an indie aproach

Scud The disposable Assassin
Anything Terry Moore - I'm partial to Rachel Rising and Serial
Queen and Country (Greg Ruka)
Brian K Vaughn series
Xenozoic Tales (hard to find some issues though)

Back to main stream

Kravens Last Hunt
Batman -Ten Nights of the Beast
I liked Hal Jordan as The Specter
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
Peter David Hulk? WTF are we asking questions for? Go ahead and throw iconic Dale Keown covers in with the McFarlane's, ahem...

Not helping the OP at all but Immortal Hulk was the best title for me for years.

yeah...Immortal Hulk and Planet Hulk have been the two best in a while as far as Hulk stories go
Post 13 IP   flag post
Another really good read... the John Ostrander "Spectre" series from the early 1990s.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Ginosdad private msg quote post Address this user
I have several of the early Immortal Hulk. I am willing to trade. I'm looking for Marvel Team-Ups. If anybody is interested, PM me.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
I really enjoyed Immortal Hulk. I read the TPB and am working on filling 1-20 in high grade to complete the 50.
to add; what I’ve read of the 3rd series (90s) Spectre was very good. It’s small at 63 issues and very fluid since Ostrander was involved in its entirety and Mandrake only took a few breaks leaving Ridgeway and Feeny to fill in art.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
what I’ve read of the 3rd series (90s) Spectre was very good. It’s small at 63 issues and very fluid since Ostrander was involved in its entirety and Mandrake only took a few breaks leaving Ridgeway and Feeny to fill in.
Tom Mandrake's artwork has a very ethereal, mystical quality to it on this series that really fits well.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Apparently, I am easily annoyed. Rbolton private msg quote post Address this user
I love any of the 70’s horror, in comic or magazine form.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
I vote for Wonder Man for the same reason you specified.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Reelgee private msg quote post Address this user
Some runs I liked 1-100ish Exiles vol.1,Ghost Rider vol.2 and my favorite West coast Avengers.I got immortal hulk too, but I got confused and didn't like crybaby hulk after issue 30 extras to but have some extra to dig up if anyone like
Post 20 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
I'm going to highly recommend the George Perez WW. That's some amazing stuff. ALL the Hulk stuff people have been mentioning are worthy, too. Peter David run, Planet Hulk, and Immortal Hulk.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
What If? captured my imagination in the 80's and some of those stories hold up well over time. Cheap and easy to collect. If you want to consider an older run, the Marvel Masterpieces Golden Age reprint series is also pretty cheap unless in very high grade.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for the input. I have some other things to look into. Over the past couple of years, while the prices for some stuff went through the roof on certain things, I found plenty of shorter run titles or genres were just kind of floating around. Stuff no one cares about (until some movie or play or tv show comes along). I slapped together runs of Marvel Comics Presents, Darkhawk, Nomad, Marvel Two-in-One, random 1980s & 1990s mini series, What If v1 & v2, Nam, etc.

Currently, I am working on GI Joe: Special Missions, Marvel Team-Up, Ghosts, Witching Hour, and X-Men Adventures in addition to Canadian and UK price variant runs of Dazzler, X-Men, Transformers, and Thing.

I'm going to look into the early part of the Peter David Incredible Hulk run and go from there to see how long I would like to keep rolling with it. I picked up a few issues for dirt cheap yesterday, along with the Marvel Fanfare issues. I will have to check out Immortal Hulk. I had the first 12 issues of it at one point, but I had picked them up for my friend who is a Hulk fan and he couldn't make it to my LCS. He set up a pull list with his LCS around issue 13 or 14. I should have read them, but I just plucked them from the back issue bins and took them to him at some point.

I just remembered this morning that @BigRedOne1944 had put a American Flagg thread together and I remember being intrigued by this. I NEVER see these books in the back issue bins at any of the stores I go to, even the ones with bountiful back issues but I would still like to give this series a go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigep815
The Marvel 25th frame covers are one of my favorites.
I do pick them up when I see them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967
The Alan Moore "Swamp Thing" issues from the 80s are a good read.

The 80s Teen Titans books are good reads with excellent George Perez artwork.

I think I have a bunch on the 90s GL books, raw and in nice condition, if you're interested. Just PM me if you are.
Someone sent me the first trade of the Alan Moore run of Swamp Thing when I was deployed. It was a lot better than I thought S.T. would be. I just never got the others but meant to. Perez's Teen Titans work was another I was thinking about if I didn't do WW.

So many options and great suggestions. So much to think about. I might dabble in a few issues of each when I make my rounds today to see what sticks.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
For those working on immortal hulk I have multiple runs from around issue 11 or so to perhaps issue 40 , that I would sell , lmk
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
One of the most under priced and poorly appreciated well written storylines ever was infinity inc.....50 or so issues, a special and a few annuals and you are done. Some early Mcfarlane art on Solomn Grundy to show you how he got his mental image of the hulk...a dozen character introductions, whats not to like?
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
One of the most under priced and poorly appreciated well written storylines ever was infinity inc.....50 or so issues, a special and a few annuals and you are done. Some early Mcfarlane art on Solomn Grundy to show you how he got his mental image of the hulk...a dozen character introductions, whats not to like?

Cant like this one enough.@Darkseid_of_town good suggestion
Post 26 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@Studley_Dudley - During the pandemic i did lots of reading and in the range you are talking, i took the opportunity to round out some runs that partially collected in my earlier days.

Magnus Robot Fighter (Valiant) Vol 1 - fantastic futuristic escapism story line. I have contemplated going after the Gold Key run to compare, but haven’t pulled that trigger.

Marvel Fanfare Vol 1 - A lot of good stories an doesn’t require a long time commitment as much of the issues are unrelated and also give a good mix to a wide variety of characters.

XO Manowar Vol 1 - Again just loved being immersed into past present and future of Arik and the ‘Good Skin’. Granted, someone with the moniker of Scifinator is going to be all over MRF (a guy in the future fighting bad robots and aliens), but aliens abducting a Viking in the past who escapes with symbiotic alien tech…genius and just plain SciFi candy with great artwork to boot.

Sorry I cannot help fill you reading list, as all of mine are at CBCS.

I also filled out and read the whole Solar, Man of the Atom Valiant Vol 1, liked it but not as much as XO and MRF.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Ginosdad private msg quote post Address this user
Infinity Inc.!!!! Another great series that you rarely run across in the back issue bins!
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginosdad
Infinity Inc.!!!! Another great series that you rarely run across in the back issue bins!

100%

Great series with only a few pricey ones (first McFarlane cover for example)
Post 29 IP   flag post
Not a series but a story line?

Marvel Annuals
Evolutionary Wars
Atlantis Attacks

Can't remember but I think these were only in the annuals... so not tones of books in all sorts of titles
Post 30 IP   flag post
601291 79 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?