Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Signatures

Mistakes happen, so I guess it was only a matter of time18508

I’m sure whatever it was you got me was perfect. PhantomEwan private msg quote post Address this user
So I saw this post in a Facebook group.

Post 1 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Post 2 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
That sucks!
Post 3 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Ouch. That has to hurt. Especially if they had sentimental value.
Post 4 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Great books.....sucks though.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
only at cgc theyd have someone sign comics they never worked on. I mean he did work on conan but not those issues.

Him signing it is like Dan Slott signing Amazing spider-man #300. yes he'd work on it eventually but his signature might as well be mine. its worthless

sucks too that its first appearance of Red Sonja.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
I'm so sorry that happened to your books!
Post 7 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I wouldn't call them worthless. Plus, this isn't the first time. Far from it.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
This really sucks! CGC needs to make it right - whatever that entails.
Post 9 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I don't think it's the poster's books. He stated he saw it on a facebook page.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I’m sure whatever it was you got me was perfect. PhantomEwan private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte correct those aren’t my books. Just really shocked to see that and another reason I avoid those send in signings.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
possibly the worst mistake has ever made. worst then slabbing the wrong comic, worst then sending it to the wrong person (those i believe still turn out well)...but practically damaging a comic. yeah they didnt do it themselves but they might as well when they gave it to the wrong person.

fmv on #23 isnt much for a 5.0 but with Roy Thomas' signature wouldve helped
Post 12 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Certainly seems like restitution would be a no-brainer in a situation like this. All associated costs plus value of correctly signed books. I don't see how that could be argued.
Post 13 IP   flag post
The books still have value, but nowhere near as much as what it would be if the correct person signed them, and damages would be near impossible to determine unless the owner of the books sells them. That being said, I agree with @EbayMafia and CGC owes the owner of the books all costs plus the value of the books.
Post 14 IP   flag post
yeah they are completely at fault (Id blame Conway as well for not recognizing he didnt work on it...but he gets a pass as he probably saw a lot and didnt bother to check as cgc was handling it...plus he is a legend).

this isnt a matter of someone stealing it or lost in transit or a mixup. they ruined a comic. now are the grades prior to signature or they grade for the fact they realized their mistake and since signatures are worthless affects grade
Post 15 IP   flag post
It's pretty assembly line at those signings, plus if the window bags the books were in were opaque or had a good portion of the covers obscured with masking/painter's tape, there's no way Conway would have known what he was signing. I can't blame Conway. CGC is completely at fault. Fortunately, Gerry Conway isn't just some nobody or recent flash-in-the-pan. He's a legit comics legend and his signature is worthwhile no matter where it is. It'd just be more worthwhile on a book that he worked on.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
It's pretty assembly line at those signings, plus if the window bags the books were in were opaque or had a good portion of the covers obscured with masking/painter's tape, there's no way Conway would have known what he was signing. I can't blame Conway. CGC is completely at fault. Fortunately, Gerry Conway isn't just some nobody or recent flash-in-the-pan. He's a legit comics legend and his signature is worthwhile no matter where it is. It'd just be more worthwhile on a book that he worked on.

well yeah. you never asked stan lee to sign a batman. or scott snyder a spiderman. conway did work on conan but later on.

his signatures on that comic is no different then the examples. any comic he worked on is worth money....any other...not as much. the comic essentually like him signing a napkin.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
You can be made whole if you take this matter further. Either they pay for 2 replacement books signed and graded to replace these that are not as valuable, or you get a store credit for future grading to cover the cost to buy 2 replacements, or the last option is small claims court.

Ive never sued anyone, but ive watched a lot of Judge Judy. You would win this, hands down.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
Another reason I don't do mail in signings.
Post 19 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Yea... I'd be upset if I were to keep these.
On the flip side, many kooks in this hobby get their books signed by individuals who had nothing to do with a book. It's epidemic and idiotic

So if these 2 are for the owner, yep - I feel bad for him.
If they were intended to be sold - they'll sell. There are plenty of other kooks out there who have no clue what they're doing.
Post 20 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
I think once CGC was aware of the problem, they should have had the two books signed by Roy Thomas also. The books would each have two signatures, but at least they would have the correct one that the client requested.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by power_struggle55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd

well yeah. you never asked stan lee to sign a batman. or scott snyder a spiderman. conway did work on conan but later on.

his signatures on that comic is no different then the examples. any comic he worked on is worth money....any other...not as much. the comic essentually like him signing a napkin.

I saw Stan Lee sign a G.I. Joe once. He had nothing to do with the book, but it's still Stan Lee's signature. Obviously, the signature would have been better on something else that had something to do with Stan Lee, but it's not like it rendered the G.I. Joe worthless. It sure gave it some WTF-factor, though.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector ticktocktyler private msg quote post Address this user
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector ticktocktyler private msg quote post Address this user
At least Conway was associated with the book. The idea on an episode of "The Big Bang Theory" was Sheldon would ask Stan Lee to sign a copy of a Batman book for the quirky sake of notoriety. Then one of the other guys thought "Yeah! I'll do that too!" rendering the notoriety instantly anathema.

My copy here of SA 205 has Neal Adams sig and of course he has nothing to do with this book. But he sure did for the rest of the run. Deadman is auto associated with Adams so it fits in a loose sense but not in the strictest sense. I certainly don't think of Infantino or George Roussos when I think of Deadman.

Post 24 IP   flag post
All that matters is others want it; if not for PC.
If Flipper the dolphin is loosely associated with aquaman because aquaman can communicate with sea creatures than a bunch of loons will put value on an aquaman comic signed by Flipper.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Well he does specifically say they are not for sale and are part of his personal collection.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomEwan
Well he does specifically say they are not for sale and are part of his personal collection.

Yep - and therein lies the unfortunate situation. These books are for him to retain; and yes they are ruined. The guy has his head on straight knowing full well Conway did not work on these books.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
I think once CGC was aware of the problem, they should have had the two books signed by Roy Thomas also. The books would each have two signatures, but at least they would have the correct one that the client requested.

Only correct answer I've read in this thread.
Post 28 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Yea... I'd be upset if I were to keep these.
On the flip side, many kooks in this hobby get their books signed by individuals who had nothing to do with a book. It's epidemic and idiotic

So if these 2 are for the owner, yep - I feel bad for him.
If they were intended to be sold - they'll sell. There are plenty of other kooks out there who have no clue what they're doing.[/quote If it's a special book you wanted signed I get. If it's a flip I get. My feelings are one day a signed book won't carry any premium. If its sentimental ok but it's just me but I would rather not have my books signed. It's not something you commissioned. It's a mass produced comic.
Post 29 IP   flag post
i dont care if its for personal collection or resell. its still defective now
Post 30 IP   flag post
601475 38 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?