Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Movies TelevisionMovies TelevisionPop Culture

Jumped the Shark18474

I award you no points… stanley_1883 private msg quote post Address this user
Perhaps to early to call it, maybe too late. Regardless I think Marvel , specifically the MCU jumped the shark. Post Endgame has been a let down with few exceptions.

They’re still better than DC, but that says nothing.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Travis private msg quote post Address this user
I don’t know my dude look at how many Batman movies that have been made lots of them. As long as superhero movies keep makeing money they will keep cranking them out. But I do believe the market is too saturated with superhero movies and the public will eventually grow tired of them and want something new.
Post 2 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
I like the recent DC films, far better than the MCU garbage of late.

The MCU jumped the shark in 2019. I didn’t think End Game was great but it was a chef-d'oeuvre in comparison to recent MCU films.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Just waiting to see how they wreck this next Black Panther movie. Still trying to figure out why they changed Subby's origin. We can all beleive in a fake Mayan city but not Atlantis? Doesn't even make sense.

Fonzi..get that engine revved up.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
I remember when Marvel launched phase one and many of those movies, which were mostly setup pieces to establish characters and so forth, were considered mediocre....first couple Thor movies anyones? Iron man after the first movie?

It was rather obvious once we had End game, the cycle would need to restart and build like it did last time.If they take the long road and establish the new characters and storylines like they did last time, then they are right on target as before.

The previous pattern if being followed will eventually begin establishing links and crossing story arcs that will be worthwhile, but it does take a little TIME...like the last one did
Post 5 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by the420bandito
Just waiting to see how they wreck this next Black Panther movie. Still trying to figure out why they changed Subby's origin. We can all beleive in a fake Mayan city but not Atlantis? Doesn't even make sense.

The reasoning for not making Subby from Atlantis is because WB/DC came out with Aquaman in theaters first. It seems that might confuse people.

I know...I know...that's a dumb reason.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

The reasoning for not making Subby from Atlantis is because WB/DC came out with Aquaman in theaters first. It seems that might confuse people.

Not dumb. I'm pretty sure the average citizen doesn't know DC from Marvel and which company each hero is from.
Post 7 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaard
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

Not dumb. I'm pretty sure the average citizen doesn't know DC from Marvel and which company each hero is from.

Sorry...I should have clarified...I don't mean dumb if the average citizen doesn't know the difference between Marvel & DC characters....I meant dumb in the sense of why does it matter? I can't think of any reason why two fictional characters can't be from the same fictional place.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
It makes perfect sense to you and me, but your average Joe would probably be scratching his head. So yeah, your Atlantis/Aquaman reason is very valid.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector SixgunSamurai private msg quote post Address this user
For me, the MCU jumped the shark when they made Thor Ragnarok feel like GOTG. Until then, the different heroes’ movies had had their own tone and feel and felt like separate franchises that shared a world. Since then they’ve mostly felt like direct sequels in one franchise.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Sure. How do we know it? The MCU attempted to ram The Eternals down the public’s throat and found out what Marvel Comics found out long ago. No one cares about The Eternals. At best, they are an afterthought.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I hated “Happy Days”, what tiny little tidbits I was unlucky enough to see anyway.
Anything MCU is a godsend compared to that era of junk. They have a niche, a forever niche, along with far more content, ever increasing in the genre.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Personally, I haven't been excited for most of the stuff announced or coming out. That being said, there are times when the newer crop of stuff the Mouse makes looks interesting (ie, WWBN) and then times where I would rather have my nutsack slapped with a cactus.

I don't want to say I outgrew it or that it doesn't have some creative merit, but it just don't tickle the ol' pickle like it used to.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
being a let down is not jumping the shark. Jumping the shark is doing a descion thats crazy.
Post 14 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
From what I've read jumping the shark is the last thing you think if because you've exhausted everything else. Made famous by happy days of course
Post 15 IP   flag post
There's lots of stuff from the MCU I'm looking forward to and the Eternals is definitely one of them.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
From what I've read jumping the shark is the last thing you think if because you've exhausted everything else. Made famous by happy days of course

yeah when the Fonz....literally jumped the shark
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Homeboy private msg quote post Address this user
The problem is the MCU have gotten away from the core cannon of each character. Now they're all just caricatures and goof balls. Every character has been mainstreamed to appeal to the masses. Last weekend I watched Dr. Strange Multiverse and it was terrible. It was just Strange and Scarlet Witch throwing fireballs everywhere. Nothing unique about it. Not to mention the wokeness of it all. Best MCU movie hands down is Iron Man 1.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeboy
Now they're all just caricatures and goof balls

I very very much agree with this.
What the hell happened to Thor? I love the actor; loved his portrayal of Thor in 1st movie and the Avengers. Now he's Rodney Dangerfield.
The Hulk? - I won't even go there. I'll just get upset writing.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:

I think Thor L&T’s “kids imbued with powers” scene was shark jump worthy.
Post 20 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Quote:

I think Thor L&T’s “kids imbued with powers” scene was shark jump worthy.

Agreed. My kids (12m and 13f) loved that scene, so perhaps I’m no longer the intended audience.
Post 21 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
It was rather obvious once we had End game, the cycle would need to restart and build like it did last time.If they take the long road and establish the new characters and storylines like they did last time, then they are right on target as before.

Black Widow, Thor, and Doctor Strange needed no introductions in Phase Bore. What's the excuse for those movies being mediocre-at-best...?
Post 22 IP   flag post
Iron Man (2008) Paramount Total domestic gross: $319,034,126 Total worldwide gross: $585,796,247

“Thor: Love and Thunder” took America by storm on its opening night Friday, raking in $69.5 million at the box office, according to IMDB’s Box Office Mojo.

The overall weekend sales of the Disney/Marvel collaboration, with Chris Hemsworth resuming his role as the titular character, could approach $244 million, according to Deadline.

Should the projections hold, Thor would rack up 2022’s third highest three-day domestic opening, after “Jurassic World Dominion” and Disney’s “Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness,” Variety reported.

‘Thor: Love and Thunder’ Passes $600 Million at Global Box Office, Eyes $700 Million-Plus Finish

So L and T grossed more internationally than Iron Man 1, hmmm
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Iron Man (2008) Paramount Total domestic gross: $319,034,126 Total worldwide gross: $585,796,247

“Thor: Love and Thunder” took America by storm on its opening night Friday, raking in $69.5 million at the box office, according to IMDB’s Box Office Mojo.

The overall weekend sales of the Disney/Marvel collaboration, with Chris Hemsworth resuming his role as the titular character, could approach $244 million, according to Deadline.

Should the projections hold, Thor would rack up 2022’s third highest three-day domestic opening, after “Jurassic World Dominion” and Disney’s “Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness,” Variety reported.

‘Thor: Love and Thunder’ Passes $600 Million at Global Box Office, Eyes $700 Million-Plus Finish

Okay.

Thor L&T needed to be $1bn to match Iron Man in terms of overall success. Never mind the massive built-in fandom today vs then.

A movie of Iron Man’s quality in the MCU today with all the “auto fans*” would gross $1.2-$1.5B.

* quickly dwindling in numbers based on the massive, massive week over week declines seen in MCU movies lately

Edit: also, I assume you’re using inflation adjusted figures.

Edit 2: finally, not entirely sure we need to reference box office for quality of movies (or decline thereof). Happy Days was popular well after “the jump” and the MCU is still generating big box office. On a relative basis, there is a decline ($) and for ME personally, the quality is now so poor that my expectations have sunk.

As for whether the box office numbers point to the decline in quality, they are one indicator (but lagging and still not reflecting the quality drop, yet).

Some people really enjoy the movies and that is fantastic. More power to them.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Staple topics, nice. makahuka private msg quote post Address this user
I'm lame, I won't find things I don't like about the movies, if I did, I wouldn't have a blast with any comic movies. Some are better than others, but none the less I'm happy they made them, just a fan of comics. I think they make everything for me, because I'm a fanboy, lol.
Post 25 IP   flag post
You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCapraAegagrus
Quote:

Black Widow, Thor, and Doctor Strange needed no introductions in Phase Bore. What's the excuse for those movies being mediocre-at-best...?

Post 26 IP   flag post
All three movies were entertaining to some degree or another...I myself liked Black Widow....and the first Thor. All three pictures served as bridges to establish missing pieces and build the story arcs however.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Quote:

Okay.

Thor L&T needed to be $1bn to match Iron Man in terms of overall success. Never mind the massive built-in fandom today vs then.

A movie of Iron Man’s quality in the MCU today with all the “auto fans*” would gross $1.2-$1.5B.

* quickly dwindling in numbers based on the massive, massive week over week declines seen in MCU movies lately

Edit: also, I assume you’re using inflation adjusted figures.

Edit 2: finally, not entirely sure we need to reference box office for quality of movies (or decline thereof). Happy Days was popular well after “the jump” and the MCU is still generating big box office. On a relative basis, there is a decline ($) and for ME personally, the quality is now so poor that my expectations have sunk.

As for whether the box office numbers point to the decline in quality, they are one indicator (but lagging and still not reflecting the quality drop, yet).

Some people really enjoy the movies and that is fantastic. More power to them.

That 1bn figure you tossed out there appears to be another number you randomly chose, as has been noted in many of your posts of late. I am unsure what function it might serve or what the basis for giving that figure...but regardless it leads to the second point.

The concept of 'an auto fan base ' would seem to suggest that the demise of the marvel universe with its renting of hair and shredding of clothes has not happened, if you know, as stated above, there is still an auto fan base....it cant be both ways ...so which is it?

If there is a 'massive built in fandom' you cannot attempt to argue the marvel cinematic effort has hit some sort of ultimate demise. It either has fans or does not....and if they do exist and are supporting those movies, then any attempt to suggest judgement day has arrived is premature
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
@Davethebrave

Since this is a comic book forum, all to often, the fan boys here can’t grasp that the general viewing audience have started to get sick of superheroes, and that often seems like 90 percent of what Hollywood is throwing out there these days.

How anyone can think that the viewing audience wants another Eternals movie is beyond me 🤷‍♂️

The first one’s breakdown

Cost $200 million
Marketing - ? But it weren’t cheap
Box Office - $402 million world wide
————————————————-
= A stinker

Please Disney serve up some more of that cr-p.
Post 29 IP   flag post
I'll take the actions of a multi-billion dollar corporation as evidence that people are still very much interested in superhero movies over anecodatal observations of people who are not fans of the genre.

There is no denying:

Clearly.....alot of people like this stuff.

I'm pretty confident their market research is a little more thorough.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601429 37 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.