Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedMemorabiliaPop CultureQuestions

What would you do?18436

Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
What difference does it really make to you? Maybe the books are sentimental and he doesn't want to part with it. Obviously he is doing something right if he is still in business.
this sounds like the LCS I was going to before he closed his doors (not for poor business practice, but for moving on to different things). This guy was super cool, down to earth, and would actually cut a deal if it were worthwhile for the both of us. He did have some outrageously overpriced collectibles spanning decades. I have almost burst into laughter hearing the absolute sarcastic exchanges between him and someone trying to “haggle” with him. He knew what he had, what’s it’s worth, how much he paid, and the price was the price (unless you’re cool and shoot the breeze with while unloading your pockets; he throw something in for you).

There were a few times I could not make out the price tag. One was a RAW ratio variant. I thought it read $25.00, hey could I look at that?, he gets it off the wall, I inspect the book and notice the tag actually reads $250.00!, I very carefully handed it back to him, said thank you for letting me see it and moved on.
Post 26 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMorse
All I have to say is being an ass and being a clown are two very different things.

But here is where the two meet.

Post 27 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
All I have to say is being an ass and being a clown are two very different things.

But here is where the two meet.

They seem lost and in need of guidance.
Post 28 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

The difference between an ass and a clown usually is demeanor

Can we get @DrWatson to weigh in on this?

Because we already have the clown’s perspective?
Post 29 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

The difference between an ass and a clown usually is demeanor

Can we get @DrWatson to weigh in on this?

Because we already have the clown’s perspective?

Post 30 IP   flag post

Miss Chanandler Bong jake private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
I agree. If you don’t intend to buy, say nothing.

If a book interests you, offer FMV or something you feel reasonable. If they then escalate/feign offense, you can call out their BS. If they politely decline, maybe they are worth dealing with again in the future.

I agree, too. I kinda Forest Gumped into this. I didn’t know that you could negotiate with vendors but I really wanted a slabbed ASM 300 and the vendor had it double of FMV, so I called the employee on it. Didn’t realize that this was a lead into negotiating, but the employee called the owner and met the price that I felt comfortable with. I had it pressed, re-graded, and fast forward a few years, FMV has tripled. I tried this again on a different book and lost some money on it, but my overall feeling is the overpriced book becomes a conversation starter and you go from there. Sometimes you lose a little; sometimes you come out on top.
Post 31 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Its also a way for a seller to get an offer closer to his price as some buyers may be concerned about offending the buyer. If the seller is willing to negotiate than all the high starting price is, is a negotiation tactic.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
100% I would mention it to the staff/owner.

Now I also accept it's their store and they can do what they like!!

Used to (key word there) have a store around here that every book was priced as NM no matter the condition...probably lasted 5 years? There have been a few through the years...but my lcs I have been going to on and off since before I was 10..so almost 40 years...on their 3rd owner but they remain while others come and go
Post 33 IP   flag post
596782 33 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?