Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedMemorabiliaPop CultureQuestions

What would you do?18436

I award you no points… stanley_1883 private msg quote post Address this user
I’m sure we’ve all seen some head scratchers for sale. What I mean is a book that is just ridiculously overpriced. There’s a comic shop here in the greater Seattle area, (I’m not going to advertise for them) when I went there, saw some nice books. Key issues even, slabbed, but the price is just ridiculous. I believe it was a Fantastic Four 45, the grade was around 3 or 4, somewhere in that range, and this ass clown had a price tag nearing 1500. It took every ounce to restrain myself and I exited without saying a word.

I’d like to go in with one of my graded books, ask him if he’s buying and see what he offers. Just to gauge his…idiocy.

Long story short, would you ever just call out and LCS owner for books that are astronomically overpriced?
Post 1 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
Why bring clowns into this?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMorse
Why bring clowns into this?

Because they’re giving real clowns a bad rep.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Element_Lad private msg quote post Address this user
Seen this with vendors at cons too. Seriously overpriced. I know they need to recoup but seriously?

I would walk away (which is what I do and wish them luck selling it).

This one store in my area (not going to give them free advertising) has had the same issue graded and slabbed of a Plastic Man signed (but modern) for $2500 for years. Always there. It is like a monument, touchstone or place marker. Never moves. And it gets bathed in light so I am sure it's cover is fading. Never a decrease in price or open for negotiation. Not my business but isn't the nature of a business to move inventory?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector PhilCoulson private msg quote post Address this user
I went to a con this summer and was really disappointed when looking for slabs. I had the priceguide on my phone and all the vendors were listing comics about 50% higher than current pricing. Literally couldn't find a single good deal and nearly nothing at market price.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
They can do whatever they want I guess. Buy 2 tables at a convention and set up thier museum of wall books. They probably don't care if they sell a book and may not even want to. They may go through the trouble just for fun and conversation
Post 6 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
It’s usually unproductive to call someone out on mispricing their wares. But calling them out is (to me) different than attempting reasonable negotiation, even if you are implicitly calling their ask BS.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector SixgunSamurai private msg quote post Address this user
What would I do? Nothing. It’s not like they’re committing a great injustice by overpricing and not selling a book.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmccoy74
They can do whatever they want I guess. Buy 2 tables at a convention and set up thier museum of wall books. They probably don't care if they sell a book and may not even want to. They may go through the trouble just for fun and conversation

Whether the books sell or not, they want to show everyone who has the biggest d*ck.
Post 9 IP   flag post
My guess for conventions is many price to grab the person who feels obligated to spend $. Like the tourist who needs to buy the overpriced merchandise near the Eiffel Tower. Just takes a few to make it worthwhile.

Then they unload their stuff nearer FMV in their usual channels.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I would counter that having books that are priced way way to high dissuades some people. Apparently I’m one of them.
Post 11 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
What difference does it really make to you? Maybe the books are sentimental and he doesn't want to part with it. Obviously he is doing something right if he is still in business.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I agree. If you don’t intend to buy, say nothing.

If a book interests you, offer FMV or something you feel reasonable. If they then escalate/feign offense, you can call out their BS. If they politely decline, maybe they are worth dealing with again in the future.
Post 13 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Asking prices are just that....asking. If I was genuinely interested in buying the book I'd ask if he's open to offers. If so, I'd make a reasonable offer as it relates to FMV (not the asking price). If he declines but not offended then I'd continue the discussion as to why I offered what I did and hopefully enter into further negotiations. If he gets offended, I'd apologize and it ends there. If I have no intention of buying the book I wouldn't care at all what he prices his books at.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmccoy74

Whether the books sell or not, they want to show everyone who has the biggest d*ck.
I think it's more along the lines of there older gentlemen and have some good raw books in ex or better and had them for years and years and know that if they sell they wont be able to afford as nice of a copy in today's market if they wanted to own one again
Post 15 IP   flag post
All valid points. Just irks me sometimes, that’s all.
Post 16 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
All I have to say is being an ass and being a clown are two very different things.
Post 17 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I've walked into Home Depot and found prices higher than I'd like so I'm off to check Lowes and Rona...and vice versa. Bottomline is anyone can price their wares at whatever they want and we as buyers have the right to buy...not buy...or sometimes negotiate.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley_1883
I’m sure we’ve all seen some head scratchers for sale. What I mean is a book that is just ridiculously overpriced. There’s a comic shop here in the greater Seattle area, (I’m not going to advertise for them) when I went there, saw some nice books. Key issues even, slabbed, but the price is just ridiculous. I believe it was a Fantastic Four 45, the grade was around 3 or 4, somewhere in that range, and this ass clown had a price tag nearing 1500. It took every ounce to restrain myself and I exited without saying a word.

I’d like to go in with one of my graded books, ask him if he’s buying and see what he offers. Just to gauge his…idiocy.

Long story short, would you ever just call out and LCS owner for books that are astronomically overpriced?

Nope. His business, he choice of pricing. Take it or leave it.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
All I have to say is being an ass and being a clown are two very different things.

The difference between an ass and a clown is usually demeanor
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

The difference between an ass and a clown usually is demeanor

Can we get @DrWatson to weigh in on this?
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Ginosdad private msg quote post Address this user
We also have no idea what it cost him. Maybe it cost him more than market price also and he is just trying to get some of his cash back. Regardless, his book, his price.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

Are you paging @DrWatson?
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

Will he show?
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

Will he show?

If he's doing his rounds this evening, he'll show.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
What difference does it really make to you? Maybe the books are sentimental and he doesn't want to part with it. Obviously he is doing something right if he is still in business.
this sounds like the LCS I was going to before he closed his doors (not for poor business practice, but for moving on to different things). This guy was super cool, down to earth, and would actually cut a deal if it were worthwhile for the both of us. He did have some outrageously overpriced collectibles spanning decades. I have almost burst into laughter hearing the absolute sarcastic exchanges between him and someone trying to “haggle” with him. He knew what he had, what’s it’s worth, how much he paid, and the price was the price (unless you’re cool and shoot the breeze with while unloading your pockets; he throw something in for you).

There were a few times I could not make out the price tag. One was a RAW ratio variant. I thought it read $25.00, hey could I look at that?, he gets it off the wall, I inspect the book and notice the tag actually reads $250.00!, I very carefully handed it back to him, said thank you for letting me see it and moved on.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:

But here is where the two meet.

Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

But here is where the two meet.

They seem lost and in need of guidance.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

Because we already have the clown’s perspective?
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

Because we already have the clown’s perspective?

Post 30 IP   flag post
596798 33 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?