Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

LCS Falls Church VA robbed 100K Books18434

Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
With the advancement of technology used with museum items and paper documents, I think that at some point a non-destructive and invisible way of marking books with an identification number to protect them from theft will be implemented and accepted industry-wide. I don't think it would be looked at as "restored".
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector KCBatmanFan private msg quote post Address this user
It looked like most of those books were raw based on the “before” pics, but I wonder if something similar to Apple AirTags could be added to slabs as an option in the future?
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Element_Lad private msg quote post Address this user
Serial numbers added to diamonds do not affect clarity ratings so I could see something like this being used and accepted industry wide.
Post 28 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I don't know the merits of adding a microchip but doing so should certainly not result in a restored designation. The addition of a microchip would be obvious that it's a security feature and not for grade improvement of the comic appearance.
Post 29 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@dfoster43
I take pictures of all my incoming slabbed books. Raws i generally do. But not 100%. If it was my business I would make sure every slab gets inventoried and any book over say 150$ gets picture taken. If you run a business I would imagine there is down time where this could be accomplished.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
It is interesting to read the “hot takes” on microchipping, and inking books. The posts all forget that the museums might do that but they harden their locations as deterrents to crime first. The security measures make robbing them to difficult or seem too difficult to unspecialized criminals.

Anyone with any knowledge in crime prevention would know that it’s about building rings around your location to prevent crime. If the bad guys have gotten in then you’ve lost. Spending money up front hardening your physical location, harden your inventory from theft, adding a quality security system, lighting your location, and using environmental architecture to either hide or highlight your prep are going to significantly lower the risks of having a robbery. Sure, they might still get in but is it worth it to do so, and how much time did it take? If you make it hard enough then the bad guys move on to the next LCS in your city or the next which isn’t as prepared and is an easier target to ripoff. More than likely the exact same books they could have stolen from your hardened LCS are available within an hour drive. All store owners should be trying to make Joe Bad Guy decide the effort to get in wasn’t worth it so they will move on.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector dfoster43 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
@dfoster43
I take pictures of all my incoming slabbed books. Raws i generally do. But not 100%. If it was my business I would make sure every slab gets inventoried and any book over say 150$ gets picture taken. If you run a business I would imagine there is down time where this could be accomplished.

Agreed. And speaking as someone who worked with them, ID devices (actually a .15 micron multi-layer RF device) could be added to each slab almost undetectable and contain a huge amount of demographic information (you name it) for about 50 cents when you aggregate cost over a total # of books in a shop.

They could be in the layer between the slab label sheets, nobody would notice them but you could 'read' everything you need to know (owner info, everything a QR code has, stock no. , etc. whatever you imagine, bascially) off of one.

MUCH smaller than the one you put into your dog.
Post 32 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfoster43
Quote:
@dfoster43

Agreed. And speaking as someone who worked with them, ID devices (actually a .15 micron multi-layer RF device) could be added to each slab almost undetectable and contain a huge amount of demographic information (you name it) for about 50 cents when you aggregate cost over a total # of books in a shop.

They could be in the layer between the slab label sheets, nobody would notice them but you could 'read' everything you need to know (owner info, everything a QR code has, stock no. , etc. whatever you imagine, bascially) off of one.

The problems are that the books can be removed from the slabs and what happens if you sell the book? Is the owner information on the chip updated?
Post 33 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
The problem with having such an elaborate tool in Your arsenal is who can read tbe tracker? Who can modify it? You figure low value books change hands frequently. Who gets the say on who can alter that tracking device? What happens if say they submit it to a grader and the book doesn't match up to the submitter, who do they call? I don't think unless it is a one of a kind item that this would work out well. Either that or a lot more time and effort to work out the kinks is dedicated to it.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector dfoster43 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfoster43
Quote:
@dfoster43

The problems are that the books can be removed from the slabs and what happens if you sell the book? Is the owner information on the chip updated?

Yep, removing them from the slab breaks the deal.

But selling it does not. Because you can re-program the text based on the 'chip' with a handheld device.
So if you sold it you could record that, you could record the date you bought it and sold it, you could record the price bought / sold etc. you are limited to about 1K of text i believe. But that's a lot of text.

But yeah, if they crack the slab it's game over for that solution.

I'd probably lean towards some sort of VERY chemically-neutral invisible solution.

Normal invisible inks or UV sensitive inks will (over time) yellow or look like a stain.

But there may be stuff out there I'm not aware of that could not every effect the comic in any way.
Post 35 IP   flag post
You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user
I'm surprised any LCS is still leaving big books like that on the wall or in a case overnight.
I would have a big ass safe that got loaded every night.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector Sebastsk8 private msg quote post Address this user
Just posted on fb - they got a tip from a local collector who one of the thieves was trying to sell some of the books to. He's been arrested already. A second person was also arrested trying to sell another portion of the books to a shop not far away in Maryland.

Both looking at felonies due to the value of what was stolen.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector Haljordanfan private msg quote post Address this user
Great news!
Post 38 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
With the advancement of technology used with museum items and paper documents, I think that at some point a non-destructive and invisible way of marking books with an identification number to protect them from theft will be implemented and accepted industry-wide. I don't think it would be looked at as "restored".

When CGC was....what to call it.... being formed this was discussed. Invisibly marking books that were graded. Collectors asked didn't like it then. I don't believe collectors would like it now. And count me in that bunch. Invisible or not, I don't want writing anywhere on the comics I send in.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
I know of lcs that have a safe for expensive books to be left in overnight.

Another shop has a room upstairs for more expensive wall books which is inside their residence.

Another lcs that would take home hulk 181s Amazing Spider-Man 1s and not leave them inside the store. Other wall books left but at least anything over $5k plus always removed overnight.

Plus these shops have roller shutters on doors, alarms ECT. But there's always a chance of thieves breaking in.
Post 40 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastsk8
Just posted on fb - they got a tip from a local collector who one of the thieves was trying to sell some of the books to. He's been arrested already. A second person was also arrested trying to sell another portion of the books to a shop not far away in Maryland.

Both looking at felonies due to the value of what was stolen.

Another example of thieves not being very intelligent. They should have driven to somewhere such as Florida to unload the books instead of the equivalent of their own backyard.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector Sebastsk8 private msg quote post Address this user
@DrWatson they tried to sell them at max an hour drive away, definitely stayed local. Honestly graded books wouldn't be worth selling at all unless cracked and sold raw lol. Easily traceable.

I'm guessing they weren't too bright.
Post 42 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
For a possible six figure value, I would have driven at least ten to twelve hours away. Personally, I've driven farther for less, lol.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
I understand the appeal of stealing high value comics, but how would you unload those without suspicion? It’s not like dropping a few TVs at pawn shops. Seems like there would be a lot of work involved that I wouldn’t even put into an honest job🤣

Hopefully they are insured. Best of luck to them.
Post 44 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 45 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry to hear this. I have actually been in Victory Comics. When I used to live in Northern Virginia, I would go in there from time to time to see what they had. I didn't specifically know the owner, but had good experiences with everyone I dealt with from the store.

Glad to see the have apprehended the thieves.
Post 46 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 47 IP   flag post
601488 47 22
This topic is archived. Start new topic?