Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

LCS Falls Church VA robbed 100K Books18434

I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
This is very sad.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Element_Lad private msg quote post Address this user
Was it a smash and grab? I am sure the thieves did not take the time to handle them caringly and pack them away to avoid damage. They must have scoped the place out to go for the "expensive" pieces. And how can someone tell if they are being dumped on the eBay or private market? UGH, I feel so sorry for the merchant. Times are so tough for the LCS retailer these days too.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector KCBatmanFan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Element_Lad
Was it a smash and grab?

Yes. They smashed the door and display cases and took all the books from the cases.

There are pics here: https://wjla.com/amp/news/local/falls-church-virginia-stolen-robbery-police-victory-comics-store-employees-broken-shattered-money-books
Post 3 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
The thieves should be beaten with PGX slabbed Rob Liefeld books.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Miss Chanandler Bong jake private msg quote post Address this user
My sympathy goes out to Jeff, but honestly those thieves don't know who they are messing with. He is almost at every local convention. If he can be a former Presidential campaign manager, you know that he is on top of this. On a side note, that area has really grown. Went from a couple buildings here and there, to quite a few high rises. Foot traffic went from sleepy to commuter.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
I have been in that store before. They always keep there nicer stuff in the cases or on the wall behind it. Very sad. I hate a thief. I Hope they get caught.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector dfoster43 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

LOL !!! I hate that guy
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCBatmanFan
Quote:
Was it a smash and grab?

Yes. They smashed the door and display cases and took all the books from the cases.

There are pics here: https://wjla.com/amp/news/local/falls-church-virginia-stolen-robbery-police-victory-comics-store-employees-broken-shattered-money-books

I wonder why one story says 40K and the other 100K

"Upon arrival, store employees found the door shattered and $40,000 of books stolen."
Post 8 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfoster43
Quote:
Quote:
Was it a smash and grab?

"Upon arrival, store employees found the door shattered and $40,000 of books stolen."

I noticed the same thing... curious.
Post 9 IP   flag post

Post 10 IP   flag post
clickable text

This one says $40k as well.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Miss Chanandler Bong jake private msg quote post Address this user
Cost vs. FMV/appreciation?
Post 12 IP   flag post
He probably crunched the numbers and found that he low balled himself I guess
Post 13 IP   flag post
For insurance reasons I'm sure.
Post 14 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Reporters get things wrong.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Was it a smash and grab?

I noticed the same thing... curious.

I'm sure the insurance company will be curious as well
Post 16 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
As much as insurance charges I'd make sure every book missing is on that insurance companies desk first thing in the morning.
Post 17 IP   flag post
I'm sure they are also adding in the cost for ALL of the damage done to the store. That did look like a lot of broken glass. It would be nice if they had some security cameras that caught the POS in the act.

Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
As much as comics have increased in value over the last 5 years one has to wonder why this isn’t happening more often. Cracking a book and resubmitting to be graded would make it all but disappear.
Post 19 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

That's worse than being whipped with a sugar cane.
Post 20 IP   flag post
That would bring up the whole debate on, should graded books be recorded with security protection using invisible ink to help prevent stolen books from being cracked open and resubmitted for grading to thwart them from being recovered and returned to the owner.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
That would bring up the whole debate on, should graded books be recorded with security protection using invisible ink to help prevent stolen books from being cracked open and resubmitted for grading to thwart them from being recovered and returned to the owner.

Or some kind of microchipping. But for every way you can come up with a way to thwart a criminal, they come up with a countermeasure for it. It is a constant war game.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
If you did that then the book has been altered and if graded again should be looked at as “restored” as you changed the book. I’d pass on that.

The logical thing for a comic book store to do is to invest in better security for the store, security shutters, and better counter displays like this one…
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Was it a smash and grab?

I saw the same thing.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
As much as insurance charges I'd make sure every book missing is on that insurance companies desk first thing in the morning.

If they're missing then that would be difficult
Post 25 IP   flag post
With the advancement of technology used with museum items and paper documents, I think that at some point a non-destructive and invisible way of marking books with an identification number to protect them from theft will be implemented and accepted industry-wide. I don't think it would be looked at as "restored".
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector KCBatmanFan private msg quote post Address this user
It looked like most of those books were raw based on the “before” pics, but I wonder if something similar to Apple AirTags could be added to slabs as an option in the future?
Post 27 IP   flag post
Serial numbers added to diamonds do not affect clarity ratings so I could see something like this being used and accepted industry wide.
Post 28 IP   flag post
I don't know the merits of adding a microchip but doing so should certainly not result in a restored designation. The addition of a microchip would be obvious that it's a security feature and not for grade improvement of the comic appearance.
Post 29 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@dfoster43
I take pictures of all my incoming slabbed books. Raws i generally do. But not 100%. If it was my business I would make sure every slab gets inventoried and any book over say 150$ gets picture taken. If you run a business I would imagine there is down time where this could be accomplished.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601354 47 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?