Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics Golden AgeComics Modern AgeComics Silver Age

Post Weird/ridiculous comic sales you come across18433

You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user
clickable text

Post 26 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Every once in a while we come across unusual ebay listings for comics items that confuse us

Two I just stumbled across from the same seller.

I saw the X-Men 1 first and had to wonder if maybe someone was scammed with it or trying to scam someone with it. The book is one of Marvel’s facsimile edition with the cover replaced, apparently to look more like the original

The Incredible Hulk 181 is a similar situation except the cover still has the new $3.99 price tag

On top of that, the seller has a starting bid of $200 and $160 respectively, which is ridiculous.

Wow! Both of these have 1 bid, my guess is the same person. I can’t imagine whoever is bidding on these is fully clear on what’s for sale. Maybe people see “Coverless” and “facsimile edition” and think it’s the original book with a reprinted cover.
Post 27 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
A "Triple 2" rarity...

Post 28 IP   flag post
@Sigur_Ros Wait! Is that an actual collecting niche?

Did the seller take the opportunity to list it for $2002 to make it a super duper rare quadruple 2?
Post 29 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Did the seller take the opportunity to list it for $2002 to make it a super duper rare quadruple 2?

Lol, better. Especially the shipping.

Post 30 IP   flag post

@Sigur_Ros He stuck to his gimmick. Gotta respect that, at least lol
Post 31 IP   flag post
Ryan created the hype so he could capitalize on it.

And that shipping...

Post 32 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I once had a guy spend over 100 in shipping a single slabbed book. 1700$ was value. It looked like a make shift suitcase....
Post 33 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros

And that shipping...

is there a link to this? I can't find it on eBay.
Post 34 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
I found it through a user name search. Don’t worry, he has two copies for sale with reserve at $1.3M and $1.7M.

LOL!
Post 35 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

And that shipping...

is there a link to this? I can't find it on eBay.

Here.
clickable text
And yeah, like Dave said, he has two 9.8 Stan Lee signed slabs.

Sigh...
Post 36 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Sigur_Ros Thanks!!

Those reserve prices are crazy!!! lol!
Post 37 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Maybe people see “Coverless” and “facsimile edition” and think it’s the original book with a reprinted cover.

when I first saw a facsmile I thought it was a really really good deal for Ultimate fallout #4 on ebay. but did research before I considered buying
Post 38 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
@Sigur_Ros “and that shipping”

bro… someone has to pay for $150k in insurance.
Post 39 IP   flag post
I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
This was more interesting than anything else.

I get the auction catalogs from Van Eaton out in California because I am interested in Disneyana. They regularly have large Disney only auctions with rare stuff from the parks.

But the most recent is a general pop culture auction, and it has one of the most complete Spider Man collections I have seen come up for sale as a unit.

I find it interesting that the two big keys are purple label copies; I would think the kind of collector who assembled this would have gotten "better" copies.

Other lots include a purple label FF #1 and a green label DD #1. Amazing Fantasy #1-14 in raw form are also available. I would love to know the story behind Van Eaton getting these for sale. It's really far outside their normal range.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector PhilCoulson private msg quote post Address this user
This Felix comic listing is really weird. Are there really collectors who look for things like numbers that line up?
Post 41 IP   flag post
There are collectors who pay big multiples for books with bar codes…

So, yes, I am sure there are collectors who value patterns, symmetry, and a whole host of oddities. Just a question of how many and how “marketed” the false scarcity angle is.
Post 42 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

🤣
Post 43 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@Sigur_Ros Thanks!!

Those reserve prices are crazy!!! lol!
a fool and his money shall soon be parted.
You could probably get Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart to play the X-Men at your kids birthday party for that much dough!
Post 44 IP   flag post
Collector Puckster private msg quote post Address this user
I was looking at the reserve so close, I didn't even catch the name the seller was going by.
Post 45 IP   flag post
@James42 Given that there are so many raw books, I wonder if maybe the purple labels were originally purchased raw and had undisclosed restoration that only came out after the keys were sent in for grading.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Lol, better. Especially the shipping.

Well - better than $222.22 + 22.22 shipping
Post 47 IP   flag post
Did some more digging on ebay policies on reserve prices and I think the seller of those IH181s is attempting some shenanigans.

The reserve prices are $1.3M and $1.7M or about 10x market price.

There is a reserve fee that ebay charges but is capped at $250. The seller can revise reserve to a lower amount, however… they still pay the $250 fee but now are potentially able to snare the highest bidders that may not be aware the reserve prices are largely BS.

So effectively they purchased an option with an exercise date 12 hrs prior to auction close to keep or reject the highest bid, for a $250 fee. However, the description states a reserve price so some bidders may think they are in the clear even bidding very high amounts but below the stated reserve amount.

To me if they state the reserve prices in description, they should also state that the reserve can be lifted prior to auction end.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Did some more digging on ebay policies on reserve prices and I think the seller of those IH181s is attempting some shenanigans.

There is a reserve fee that ebay charges but is capped at $250. The seller can revise reserve to a lower amount, however…

I could be wrong but believe max ebay fee is $750 for an item
Post 49 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:

There is a reserve fee that ebay charges but is capped at $250. The seller can revise reserve to a lower amount, however…

Perhaps but this is what I saw for the reserve fee specifically:

Reserve fees are calculated at $5 or 7.5% of the reserve price you set, whichever is greater, up to a maximum fee of $250.

https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/selling/seller-fees
Post 50 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Perhaps but this is what I saw for the reserve fee specifically:

Reserve fees are calculated at $5 or 7.5% of the reserve price you set, whichever is greater, up to a maximum fee of $250.

https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/selling/seller-fees

Sorry. I didn’t see in your original post that you quoted a max fee. The max fee depends on the category and what type of seller you are (basically your type of subscription). Anyway -hope this is a theoretical discussion as I hope no one will even consider to buy at those prices
Post 51 IP   flag post
I agree but my point is more the seller doesn’t expect anywhere near those prices either. Instead they will remove the reserve prices if they see bids high enough with 12 hours to go… potentially catching some bidders unaware due to their listing description citing the reserves at those absurd levels.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Quote:
I agree but my point is more the seller doesn’t expect anywhere near those prices either. Instead they will remove the reserve prices if they see bids high enough with 12 hours to go… potentially catching some bidders unaware due to their listing description citing the reserves at those absurd levels.

Could be but kind of their own fault then. Should never make a bid if you don’t intend to honor it
Post 53 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Could be but kind of their own fault then. Should never make a bid if you don’t intend to honor it

Interestingly ebay should lower bids to below the reserve price reduction (if reserve lowered) though a) apparently some glitches in practice and b) not sure about confirmatory bids if reserve dropped outright.

In any event, bizarre listings.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector Puckster private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

And that shipping...

Final bid was $50,300.
Post 55 IP   flag post
601252 67 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?