Originally Posted by DarthLego
@JonHughes Do you have a website?
yep. www.jonhughesart.com
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector JonHughes private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
but have you considered Turtles?

I'm just not that proficient with abstract things like creatures and robots. I've been studying people my whole life, and I try to stick to what I'm comfortable with. Maybe at some point I'll venture out, but for now I've got rent to pay.
Post 52 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonHughes
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
but have you considered Turtles?

I'm just not that proficient with abstract things like creatures and robots. I've been studying people my whole life, and I try to stick to what I'm comfortable with. Maybe at some point I'll venture out, but for now I've got rent to pay.

That's funny I consider myself the polar opposite. I'm better at objects with straight lines and jagged edges and angles then the human face, or hands, for example.
Post 53 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@JonHughes http://www.jonhughesart.com/ fixed that typo for ya.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
@JonHughes http://www.jonhughesart.com/ fixed that typo for ya.
thanks!
Post 55 IP   flag post

Here's a Gambit that I currently have listed on eBay:

Post 56 IP   flag post
Is anyone still checking these out? =P Here's a Cyclops I finished recently.

Post 57 IP   flag post
Here's a Jane Foster that I just finished:

Post 58 IP   flag post
In case anyone is still keeping up, here's an Iron Patriot/War Machine on an Avengers cover:

Post 59 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Got an ebay store link? I dont see anything for sale on your site (in monile view anyways)
Post 60 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Got an ebay store link? I dont see anything for sale on your site (in monile view anyways)

Sure thing! Here you go: http://www.ebay.com/usr/jonhughesart
Post 61 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Jon.....you do have some good stuff....but just in case you are looking for some honest feedback.....here is mine.....

:o)

....Why do you put these with front facing all the time? Why not be more adventurous and include some "Vigilante killings" on the cover.....like a Thor vs. Beta Ray? Or even a super hero holding onto the head of a bad guy?

Mix it up even more.

The same-ol-same-ol just doesn't grab me.

This Del Otto cover is and example of what I am getting at....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-20-2017-VENOM-3-GABRIELE-DELL-OTTO-COLOR-VARIANT-/201785004577?hash=item2efb52d221:g:at0AAOSwnHZYfAjL

Nothing disrespectful, okay.....because I could never do what you do.....but love art so much.....I sometimes like to give my opinion directly, in hopes to see something I like, will come out of it.

Good luck!
Post 62 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks
Hi Jon.....you do have some good stuff....but just in case you are looking for some honest feedback.....here is mine.....

....Why do you put these with front facing all the time? Why not be more adventurous and include some "Vigilante killings" on the cover.....like a Thor vs. Beta Ray? Or even a super hero holding onto the head of a bad guy?

Mix it up even more.

The same-ol-same-ol just doesn't grab me.

This Del Otto cover is and example of what I am getting at....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-20-2017-VENOM-3-GABRIELE-DELL-OTTO-COLOR-VARIANT-/201785004577?hash=item2efb52d221:g:at0AAOSwnHZYfAjL

Nothing disrespectful, okay.....because I could never do what you do.....but love art so much.....I sometimes like to give my opinion directly, in hopes to see something I like, will come out of it.

Good luck!
Thanks for your feedback. Basically, this is a simple question with a complicated answer. If I was being paid the rate of a Marvel cover artist to do each of these, I would be afforded more time to be more creative, and I would honestly be much happier. My professional cover work for Overground Comics was far more detailed and imaginative when I was given time. However, as a collector, if what you are looking for is simply the best art, you might be more unique than you think. People today tend to be "character collectors", seeking out something to add to their collection of their fandom. In that sort of market, there is a good chance that taking days to craft a perfect cover would get me nothing more than I am currently making. People aren't buying my covers by searching "Jon Hughes" on eBay, their buying them by searching "Gambit" or "Dark Phoenix". It's just my reality right now. I have to create a substantial amount of work, consistently, and hope for the best. Two simple covers every day guarantee that my rent gets paid, while growing as an artist and exploring the limits of my creativity could leave my family hungry. It's just my reality. I'm a person of humble means, trying to survive in a system right now. There will be time for striving for excellence at some point, but for now I'm just striving to keep the lights on. Thanks again for being complimentary of my work.
Post 63 IP   flag post
For reference, here are a few of my covers for Overground Comics:

Post 64 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
I knew you had it in you!!

Thanks for the clarity....and yep....that is what I was talking about....so it looks as though you are already on that level, just not willing to take it to that level with sketch covers.

I can understand that.....especially knowing a family is involved.

I turned down a partnership with my brother's company, because:
- I had a family
- I couldn't afford not to get paid weekly or even bi-weekly to support my basic needs.

I feel ya.
Post 65 IP   flag post
Yep. Art is a passion of mine, but once it's your job, you have to be smart about managing your production. I'll post a gem every now and then, but trust me, those are the efforts that offer me the least payoff. =P It's silly, but it's true.
Post 66 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
In my deepest sincere opinion, your art for Lady Death, Vampirella, and Bettie Page is where you truly shine brightest. That is some seriously beautiful art right there and I'd love to see straight up canvas paintings of the same. You are very talented when it comes to drawing the female form. The simple line art is a lost art from the 40s-50s.
Post 67 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@JonHughes Are the Batman or Joker pieces that's on your website available?

And some more advice...It might be a good idea to get that paperwork you need from CBCS to submit sketches as an artist, and then you could offer an option on your ebay cover sales to submit the cover to CBCS for yellow lable slabbing if the customer wants to pay the slabbing fee.
Post 68 IP   flag post
Here's one that is currently listed:

Post 69 IP   flag post
Also currently listed:

Post 70 IP   flag post
Here's the link to my page on eBay if anyone wants to get any of my work: http://www.ebay.com/usr/jonhughesart
Post 71 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Here's the link to my page on eBay if anyone wants to get any of my work: http://www.ebay.com/usr/jonhughesart

already been there - hey that image is mine now 😁
Post 72 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:

already been there - hey that image is mine now 😁

Awesome! Thanks for supporting my work!
Post 73 IP   flag post
This one is ending today:

Post 74 IP   flag post
Here's one that ended last night:

Post 75 IP   flag post
Been on a break for a convention and some publishing work, but here's a currently listed cover:

Post 76 IP   flag post
598047 76 26
This topic is archived. Start new topic?