Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Star Trek # 1 Gold Key 1967 William Shatner Signature - Your Advice Please18423

Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by multi007
FYI. Shatner was one of the “Masked Singers”. (The knight sitting on a golden goose). Sang the song “putting on the ritz”. 😂

To this day I still remember him singing 'Rocket Man.' My jaw is still on the floor. It's a wonder I don't have massive TMJ problems.
Post 76 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@Byrdibyrd

Was it good or bad?
Post 77 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
@Byrdibyrd

Was it good or bad?

It was absolutely horrific. I couldn't tell if he was singing or if he was trying to treat it as a spoken word performance that failed miserably. He was the host of the 1st Annual Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Film Awards (1978), and it was one of the performance breaks. Both dreadful and howlingly funny at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wI4jMxveyI

Enjoy.
Post 78 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
this wasnt any better... lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSGcg2dyRXQ
Post 79 IP   flag post
Collector ticktocktyler private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODoyleRules
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticktocktyler
FWIW: If I were to buy a signed copy of this and was looking, I would be turned off by the overkill (and likely the price bump) of 2 signatures by the same person.

The front cover belongs to Spock. The back to Kirk. The signature should be tastefully applied to the back cover. IMO. I believe the future saleability would be enhanced by a BC signature as well. There would be no "Why did Shatner sign across Spock" stuff as that's really the only spot on the FC to have a prominent signature.

This is the closing argument for me. Back cover only. My mind is made up on that. Now the only thing I am debating is to ask for any type of inscription from Mr. Shatner. Nothing personalized, but some phrase related to Star Trek.

I asked the folks at the Cincy Comic Expo if Shatner does inscriptions and if so is there a charge. This is their reply:

"That is a decision he makes each day. It depends on how he feels and what the lines are like."

You won't be sad about your sound decision. If I were to ask/pay for a Kirk quote, it would be:

“Hang on tight and survive. Everybody does.”

I'm sure we all hope to see your book in its final state!
Post 80 IP   flag post

Collector Travis private msg quote post Address this user
You could get him to write he passed the Kobayashi Maru
Post 81 IP   flag post
Collector ODoyleRules private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I'm sure we all hope to see your book in its final state!

Will do for sure! I appreciate all the thoughts and advice from everyone here!
Post 82 IP   flag post
I'm heading out the door to get my comic signed. Oh, it's great to feel like a kid again!

I have decided to ask Mr. Shatner to write across the top of the back cover in the blue - "To boldly go where no man has gone before." Sign his autograph along the bottom left of the black & white portion. And finally in the green on the bottom, "Captain's Log stardate, with today's date".

Wish me luck! My copy:

Post 83 IP   flag post
Collector Madman private msg quote post Address this user
Good luck buddy, have fun
Post 84 IP   flag post
Quote:
I'm heading out the door to get my comic signed. Oh, it's great to feel like a kid again!

I have decided to ask Mr. Shatner to write across the top of the back cover in the blue - "To boldly go where no man has gone before." Sign his autograph along the bottom left of the black & white portion. And finally in the green on the bottom, "Captain's Log stardate, with today's date".

Wish me luck! My copy:

Sweet! Tell him we all send our best wishes.
"And Captain...All Our Hopes."
Post 85 IP   flag post
Just got back. I would like to post about a glorious experience - but it did not go as well as hoped. Arrived early and waited over an hour for the doors to open. VIP ticketholders got to enter 30 minutes before us. By the time I get back to the celebrity signing area there is about 100 people in front of me waiting to get the Captain's autograph. (BTW, Christopher Lloyd's line was twice as long.)

Mr. Shatner shows up about 40 minutes later to polite applause. Previous to that a worker had sold autograph tickets to the folks in line. All cash! I asked the ticket seller if Mr. Shatner would do inscriptions today. He said yes, but you need to ask if he is willing. He knew for certain he would inscribe Capt. Kirk.

The line moves fast once Shatner starts signing. He is not any wasting any time at all. I am up to have my comic signed in about 15 to 20 minutes. It was moving like an assembly line.

I greet Mr. Shatner and he is pleasant and smiling.

Me: "Can you do an inscription?"

Shatner: "Yes. What do you want?"

Me: Can you write "To Boldly Go...

Shatner: "NO." (Smile is now off his face)

I then explained where I wanted him to sign (which he didn't) and asked if he would inscribe Capt. Kirk under his name since I knew that was acceptable. I must say I am not thrilled with the final result. I felt the session was a true "Scribble Fest".

I decided to have JSA authenticate it since I was feeling uncertain if CBCS will verify it. I opt for their letter of authenticity which is more stringent. Fortunately they authenticate it.

Here’s the final result:

Post 86 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Sounds like a crappy experience. If it helps you can try and do the Beckett quick analysis check to see if it will pass
Post 87 IP   flag post
https://www.beckett-authentication.com/services/signature-review
Post 88 IP   flag post
Quote:
Just got back. I would like to post about a glorious experience - but it did not go as well as hoped. Arrived early and waited over an hour for the doors to open. VIP ticketholders got to enter 30 minutes before us. By the time I get back to the celebrity signing area there is about 100 people in front of me waiting to get the Captain's autograph. (BTW, Christopher Lloyd's line was twice as long.)

Mr. Shatner shows up about 40 minutes later to polite applause. Previous to that a worker had sold autograph tickets to the folks in line. All cash! I asked the ticket seller if Mr. Shatner would do inscriptions today. He said yes, but you need to ask if he is willing. He knew for certain he would inscribe Capt. Kirk.

The line moves fast once Shatner starts signing. He is not any wasting any time at all. I am up to have my comic signed in about 15 to 20 minutes. It was moving like an assembly line.

I greet Mr. Shatner and he is pleasant and smiling.

I then explained where I wanted him to sign (which he didn't) and asked if he would inscribe Capt. Kirk under his name since I knew that was acceptable. I must say I am not thrilled with the final result. I felt the session was a true "Scribble Fest".

I decided to have JSA authenticate it since I was feeling uncertain if CBCS will verify it. I opt for their letter of authenticity which is more stringent. Fortunately they authenticate it.

Here’s the final result:

I'm happy for you anyway! You got to meet him and he signed your book in the right spot. You know he signed it. We get these things blown up in our minds and the events sometimes don't meet our expectations.

But I'm happy for you. Nice bold sig with Capt Kirk underneath it. I'd love a book like that. Congratulations!
Post 89 IP   flag post
I agree with @ticktocktyler . That's a legit signature on great book and you got to meet the Captain who matters the most (IMHO). Congrats!
Post 90 IP   flag post
Quote:
I'm happy for you anyway! You got to meet him and he signed your book in the right spot. You know he signed it. We get these things blown up in our minds and the events sometimes don't meet our expectations.

But I'm happy for you. Nice bold sig with Capt Kirk underneath it. I'd love a book like that. Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
agree with @ticktocktyler . That's a legit signature on great book and you got to meet the Captain who matters the most (IMHO). Congrats!

Thanks guys! Much appreciated! The more I look at it, the happier I am. I think I was just a little stunned by Mr. Shatner's sharp NO to my inscription request and I think that skewed how I viewed the whole experience. Feeling way better now! Thanks to everyone on this board! You have definitely made me feel welcome.
Post 91 IP   flag post
Quote:
https://www.beckett-authentication.com/services/signature-review

Thanks for the tip!
Post 92 IP   flag post
@ODoyleRules
I suspect that he gets certain requests so many times that he just can't deal anymore. It's the same thing with comics creators who will charge extra for signing some of their most popular books.
Post 93 IP   flag post
@Byrdibyrd

Show up in a leg brace and tell him you've been standing in line all day just so you could get an autograph for your dying son in hospice?
Post 94 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Byrdibyrd

Show up in a leg brace and tell him you've been standing in line all day just so you could get an autograph for your dying son in hospice?

Play it up for the melodrama and if you crack him up maybe he'll cut you some slack.
Post 95 IP   flag post
@Byrdibyrd
Exactly
Post 96 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
His autograph doesn’t look too bad it looks close to mine. I think it would pass verification. If it won’t pass still have it slabbed to be protected. I had a Stan Lee fail that I got in person so I know it’s real and still had it slabbed to protect it.
Post 97 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Head
His autograph doesn’t look too bad it looks close to mine. I think it would pass verification. If it won’t pass still have it slabbed to be protected. I had a Stan Lee fail that I got in person so I know it’s real and still had it slabbed to protect it.

Now looking back, I think I had my expectations set way too high. This automatically sets one up for disappointment. The Captain is 91 years old now. Good God - I need to give the man a break. I have now gone from disappointment to being grateful that I was able to get his signature on a comic book I treasure.
Post 98 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

You forgot the three magic words that works for most celebs. and DEFINITELY for Shatner...

"I'll pay extra".
Post 99 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Head

Now looking back, I think I had my expectations set way too high. This automatically sets one up for disappointment. The Captain is 91 years old now. Good God - I need to give the man a break. I have now gone from disappointment to being grateful that I was able to get his signature on a comic book I treasure.

I can tell you are a Star Trek fan just like me. You should see my Star Trek autograph collection.
Post 100 IP   flag post
Quote:
If it helps you can try and do the Beckett quick analysis check to see if it will pass

Thank you for submitting William Shatner - Inscribed Capt. Kirk 1967 Star Trek # 1 Gold Key Comic for a Signature Review from
Beckett Authentication Services.
After our review, it is our opinion that the item is: Likely to Pass Full Authentication
BY BECKETT AUTHENTICATION SERVICES

Feel much better now. Thanks again!
Post 101 IP   flag post
That's great news.

Gratz!

And Bronte is spelled with a capital B if you want to venmo me your thanks. (J/k)
Post 102 IP   flag post
@ODoyleRules
Awesome! It sounds like everything's working out. That's fantastic!
Post 103 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
If it helps you can try and do the Beckett quick analysis check to see if it will pass

Thank you for submitting William Shatner - Inscribed Capt. Kirk 1967 Star Trek # 1 Gold Key Comic for a Signature Review from
Beckett Authentication Services.
After our review, it is our opinion that the item is: Likely to Pass Full Authentication
BY BECKETT AUTHENTICATION SERVICES

Feel much better now. Thanks again!

Told you it would pass. Congrats buddy.
Post 104 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
@ODoyleRules - Such an awesome book and Sig. Congrats!!!
Post 105 IP   flag post
601475 105 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?