Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Star Trek # 1 Gold Key 1967 William Shatner Signature - Your Advice Please18423

Collector ticktocktyler private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODoyleRules
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticktocktyler
Yeah. He'd probably sign someones ass if he got paid for it.


Hmmm....I did not think about this as an option....this would solve having to make a decision between the front or back cover.

"To boldly go where no man has gone before" would be a perfect inscription too!*

*Not counting my proctologist.


My sister got her arm signed by her favorite frontman and took it downtown and now it's a tattoo. Just sayin'. Options.

I personally wouldn't have Shatner sign my ass just in case my proctologist is a Star Trek fan.
Post 51 IP   flag post
TL;DR Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Back cover.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
If CGC or CBCS arent attending, keep an eye out for those "authorized" 3rd party witness guys...

They are just as good.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector ODoyleRules private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by multi007
If CGC or CBCS arent attending, keep an eye out for those "authorized" 3rd party witness guys...

They are just as good.


Wait...You're saying if Shatner signs my ass, I may be able to get it authenticated? The signed ass option keeps getting better and better.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector ODoyleRules private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
have him write stardate and the days date he signed it


Or I found this site where you can convert the current date to a stardate. Could be a cool option to have him date it by the actual stardate.

Post 55 IP   flag post


Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODoyleRules
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticktocktyler
Yeah. He'd probably sign someones ass if he got paid for it.


Hmmm....I did not think about this as an option....this would solve having to make a decision between the front or back cover.

"To boldly go where no man has gone before" would be a perfect inscription too!*

*Not counting my proctologist.

DUDE!! LOL!
Post 56 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by multi007
If CGC or CBCS arent attending, keep an eye out for those "authorized" 3rd party witness guys...

They are just as good.

But would they authorise the ass-signing?
Post 57 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODoyleRules
Quote:
Originally Posted by multi007
If CGC or CBCS arent attending, keep an eye out for those "authorized" 3rd party witness guys...

They are just as good.


Wait...You're saying if Shatner signs my ass, I may be able to get it authenticated? The signed ass option keeps getting better and better.

The sad reality of getting your ass signed would be that if you were to then post pics of it on the forum to share with the rest of us, I suspect there would be a suspension.
Post 58 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
The sad reality of getting your ass signed would be that if you were to then post pics of it on the forum to share with the rest of us, I suspect there would be a suspension.


Yeah, this is about as far as we'd allow for ass pictures.


Post 59 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
Would you need to wax before the said signing happens? Asking for a friend…
Post 60 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Forget having your ass signed. Get it branded with the Star Trek insignia. That would show true dedication.
Post 61 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Forget having your ass signed. Get it branded with the Star Trek insignia. That would show true dedication.

Could that be interpreted as a "Tramp Stamp"?
Post 62 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
@Pre_Coder I would say not. Tramp stamps are usually in the small of the back right above the crack. I was thinking more along the lines of a butt cheek location.
Post 63 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by multi007
Would you need to wax before the said signing happens? Asking for a friend…

Oh... oh, a 'friend'...
Post 64 IP   flag post
Collector ODoyleRules private msg quote post Address this user
Only the Quote:
Originally Posted by multi007
If CGC or CBCS arent attending, keep an eye out for those "authorized" 3rd party witness guys...

They are just as good.


Quote:
Originally Posted by multi007
Would you need to wax before the said signing happens? Asking for a friend…



I could be wrong but I sense that a disturbing pattern is starting to emerge with your posts that suggest you may have an unhealthy obsession with the potential signing of my ass by Mr. Shatner. Any chance you will be attending the Cincinnati Comic Expo?
Post 65 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Some years ago I had my ST 1 and 8 signed at a show where Shatner and Koenig were in attendance. Did not even occur to me to ask that Shatner sign the back cover of #1. It's worth considering.

Having considered it, I'd still have the FC signed. If you can get the front and back cover signed without paying double - or if you don't care if you pay double - signing BOTH front and back covers would be great!!

I would mention that early in the discussion there was talk of grade screening. You cannot grade screen Yellow label Signature Series books. You get what you get grade wise.

Well - I will take my last comment back. I mocked up a submission and it appears you can prescreen with both VSP and Authentic signature submissions. I'm 99% certain that was not the case years ago. Wonder when it changed?
Post 66 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
@ODoyleRules lol - not going to Cincinnati...
Post 67 IP   flag post
Collector ODoyleRules private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by multi007
@ODoyleRules lol - not going to Cincinnati...


Whew! That's a relief! However, I have now ruled out any possibility of getting my backside signed by the Captain. There has already been way too much discussion about my nether region on a public forum.
Post 68 IP   flag post
Collector ODoyleRules private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Some years ago I had my ST 1 and 8 signed at a show where Shatner and Koenig were in attendance. Did not even occur to me to ask that Shatner sign the back cover of #1. It's worth considering.

Having considered it, I'd still have the FC signed. If you can get the front and back cover signed without paying double - or if you don't care if you pay double - signing BOTH front and back covers would be great!!


I'm 48 hours away and still have not made my mind up on how to get the book signed. The back cover is 100%. I am torn about getting the front signed as I don't really feel there is a sweet spot for his signature. Personally, I love Madman's copy, however, I can see other people questioning why is it Shatner's signature across Nimoy's image. I wish I had got to this earlier when Mr. Nimoy was alive. The perfect copy I feel would be Nimoy signing the front and Shatner signing the back.
Post 69 IP   flag post
Collector Madman private msg quote post Address this user
You are absolutely right about having Nimoy's signature on the front. It would have been nice to have all the cast members signatures on the book. But the only way this would happen is to get a copy already signed and those are going for a lot of money that I don't have right now. That is nearly impossible at this time. I wanted both front and back covers signed because for me it felt right.
Post 70 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman
I wanted both front and back covers signed because for me it felt right.

Best reason ever.
Post 71 IP   flag post
Collector ODoyleRules private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman
You are absolutely right about having Nimoy's signature on the front. It would have been nice to have all the cast members signatures on the book. But the only way this would happen is to get a copy already signed and those are going for a lot of money that I don't have right now. That is nearly impossible at this time. I wanted both front and back covers signed because for me it felt right.


Yea, I have bought comics and memorabilia that's already been signed - but it is not the same when you personally get it signed. There is no right or wrong answer because it does come down to how one feels about it.

I do know I tend to overvalue items that I personally get signed because they do mean more to me. Whatever strategy I finally decide upon I don't think it will make big difference value wise for the buyers out there in the long run.
Post 72 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
FYI. Shatner was one of the “Masked Singers”. (The knight sitting on a golden goose). Sang the song “putting on the ritz”. 😂
Post 73 IP   flag post
Collector ticktocktyler private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODoyleRules
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman
You are absolutely right about having Nimoy's signature on the front. It would have been nice to have all the cast members signatures on the book. But the only way this would happen is to get a copy already signed and those are going for a lot of money that I don't have right now. That is nearly impossible at this time. I wanted both front and back covers signed because for me it felt right.


Yea, I have bought comics and memorabilia that's already been signed - but it is not the same when you personally get it signed. There is no right or wrong answer because it does come down to how one feels about it.

I do know I tend to overvalue items that I personally get signed because they do mean more to me. Whatever strategy I finally decide upon I don't think it will make big difference value wise for the buyers out there in the long run.


FWIW: If I were to buy a signed copy of this and was looking, I would be turned off by the overkill (and likely the price bump) of 2 signatures by the same person.

The front cover belongs to Spock. The back to Kirk. The signature should be tastefully applied to the back cover. IMO. I believe the future saleability would be enhanced by a BC signature as well. There would be no "Why did Shatner sign across Spock" stuff as that's really the only spot on the FC to have a prominent signature.
Post 74 IP   flag post
Collector ODoyleRules private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticktocktyler
FWIW: If I were to buy a signed copy of this and was looking, I would be turned off by the overkill (and likely the price bump) of 2 signatures by the same person.

The front cover belongs to Spock. The back to Kirk. The signature should be tastefully applied to the back cover. IMO. I believe the future saleability would be enhanced by a BC signature as well. There would be no "Why did Shatner sign across Spock" stuff as that's really the only spot on the FC to have a prominent signature.


This is the closing argument for me. Back cover only. My mind is made up on that. Now the only thing I am debating is to ask for any type of inscription from Mr. Shatner. Nothing personalized, but some phrase related to Star Trek.

I asked the folks at the Cincy Comic Expo if Shatner does inscriptions and if so is there a charge. This is their reply:

"That is a decision he makes each day. It depends on how he feels and what the lines are like."
Post 75 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by multi007
FYI. Shatner was one of the “Masked Singers”. (The knight sitting on a golden goose). Sang the song “putting on the ritz”. 😂

To this day I still remember him singing 'Rocket Man.' My jaw is still on the floor. It's a wonder I don't have massive TMJ problems.
Post 76 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@Byrdibyrd

Was it good or bad?
Post 77 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
@Byrdibyrd

Was it good or bad?

It was absolutely horrific. I couldn't tell if he was singing or if he was trying to treat it as a spoken word performance that failed miserably. He was the host of the 1st Annual Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Film Awards (1978), and it was one of the performance breaks. Both dreadful and howlingly funny at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wI4jMxveyI

Enjoy.
Post 78 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
this wasnt any better... lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSGcg2dyRXQ
Post 79 IP   flag post
Collector ticktocktyler private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODoyleRules
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticktocktyler
FWIW: If I were to buy a signed copy of this and was looking, I would be turned off by the overkill (and likely the price bump) of 2 signatures by the same person.

The front cover belongs to Spock. The back to Kirk. The signature should be tastefully applied to the back cover. IMO. I believe the future saleability would be enhanced by a BC signature as well. There would be no "Why did Shatner sign across Spock" stuff as that's really the only spot on the FC to have a prominent signature.


This is the closing argument for me. Back cover only. My mind is made up on that. Now the only thing I am debating is to ask for any type of inscription from Mr. Shatner. Nothing personalized, but some phrase related to Star Trek.

I asked the folks at the Cincy Comic Expo if Shatner does inscriptions and if so is there a charge. This is their reply:

"That is a decision he makes each day. It depends on how he feels and what the lines are like."


You won't be sad about your sound decision. If I were to ask/pay for a Kirk quote, it would be:

“Hang on tight and survive. Everybody does.”

I'm sure we all hope to see your book in its final state!
Post 80 IP   flag post
520714 105 30
Log in or sign up to compose a reply.