Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Star Trek # 1 Gold Key 1967 William Shatner Signature - Your Advice Please18423

Collector ODoyleRules private msg quote post Address this user
I am getting my copy of this comic (nicer condition than one shown) signed by William Shatner this weekend. Here are my questions:

How many of you would have Mr. Shatner sign both the front and back covers?

Would you have him inscribe something on the back (if he is willing to do so) and what would it be?

If I get him to sign both the front and back covers, when submitting it to the VSP do I submit it for two signatures being verified?

Considering getting it pressed, but if I have him sign the back cover with an an inscription I would be reluctant to do so due to the amount of the writing. Thoughts?

Thanks to all who respond!



Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector dfoster43 private msg quote post Address this user
I don't know about you and I'm not signature expert to know how it would affect 'resale' but I'd have him sign / inscribe the back, I think it would look cooler over a single color , over his body, w/out the distractions and backgrounds of the front, etc.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
@ODoyleRules
If it were my book, I'd ask him to sign the back cover, in the green, under his photo. I wouldn't get it inscribed, but that's just my personal preference. I'd definitely see about getting it pressed, but I would absolutely do a press pre-screen to make sure it would be okay. The pre-screen would determine if a press would damage the book or not improve the grade, and if that would be the case, they don't press. I do believe the charge for VSP is per signature, so if you have front & back cover signed, even if it's on the same day and by the same person, you still pay for each separate signature.

Welcome to the forum!!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Travis private msg quote post Address this user
Front and back your prob gonna slab it so you will get to see both sides flip it if you get tired of looking at one side have him write stardate and the days date he signed it or space the final frontier both would be cool as to any one that’s a star track fan
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Madman private msg quote post Address this user
I had Mr. Shatner sign both front and back covers on my copy during the GalaxyCon event. I wanted it this way because the back cover has his solo pic. Personally, I would just want his signatures only, just in case the extra inscription bumps down the grade. I will post pictures later today.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector ODoyleRules private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
@ODoyleRules
I'd definitely see about getting it pressed, but I would absolutely do a press pre-screen to make sure it would be okay. The pre-screen would determine if a press would damage the book or not improve the grade, and if that would be the case, they don't press.

Welcome to the forum!!


Are you able to do the pre-screen when you submit just one book?

Thank you! And I am glad to be here!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODoyleRules
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
@ODoyleRules
I'd definitely see about getting it pressed, but I would absolutely do a press pre-screen to make sure it would be okay. The pre-screen would determine if a press would damage the book or not improve the grade, and if that would be the case, they don't press.

Welcome to the forum!!


Are you able to do the pre-screen when you submit just one book?

Thank you! And I am glad to be here!

You can definitely do the pre-screen with just one book at CBCS. They do not have a minimum requirement like CGC does.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector ODoyleRules private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman
I had Mr. Shatner sign both front and back covers on my copy during the GalaxyCon event. I wanted it this way because the back cover has his solo pic. Personally, I would just want his signatures only, just in case the extra inscription bumps down the grade. I will post pictures later today.


Excellent advice- I did not think about the inscription lowering the grade.

Please post photos! I would love to see them.

Thank you!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
@ODoyleRules

Bill seems like a cool cat that should accommodate your request to sign front & back.
On the back have him remark with "Beam Me Up"
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector ODoyleRules private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
Front and back your prob gonna slab it so you will get to see both sides flip it if you get tired of looking at one side have him write stardate and the days date he signed it or space the final frontier both would be cool as to any one that’s a star track fan


I like the star date suggestion alot.......
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector dfoster43 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearmint67
@ODoyleRules

Bill seems like a cool cat that should accommodate your request to sign front & back.
On the back have him remark with "Beam Me Up"


If it was mine I think I'd have him do his SNL quote under his "Bill Shatner" and write "Get a Life!" LOL loved him for that back in the day!

Here 'tis
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman
Personally, I would just want his signatures only, just in case the extra inscription bumps down the grade.


The remark or quote written by the signer does not down grade to assigned grade.
I had Al Milgrom sign some books last year, one was the Werewolf by night facsimile with the 1st app of Moon Knight and he wrote something like 1st Moon Knight on it.
Got a 9.8. So no worries for quotes...

If you can get it pressed prior to getting it signed, I would do that. Otherwise be prepared for 12 to 18 months to get it back.
Unless you are choosing the very spendy express pressing and express grade options.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfoster43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearmint67
@ODoyleRules

Bill seems like a cool cat that should accommodate your request to sign front & back.
On the back have him remark with "Beam Me Up"


If it was mine I think I'd have him do his SNL quote under his "Bill Shatner" and write "Get a Life!" LOL loved him for that back in the day!

That SNL skit was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector ODoyleRules private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfoster43
If it was mine I think I'd have him do his SNL quote under his "Bill Shatner" and write "Get a Life!" LOL loved him for that back in the day!


Classic SNL skit! And an excellent suggestion as well.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector ODoyleRules private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearmint67
The remark or quote written by the signer does not down grade to assigned grade.


Great to know as I am leaning towards an inscription on the back cover. Does anyone know if Mr. Shatner does inscriptions? There is no mention of it on the Cincy Con website.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I did have him sign my copy on the back years ago (CGC SS) need to send it for a press but I think it might not get a bump, can't remember 5.5 I think?

Back just seems like a better place - only him vs the front cover where Spock is the main focus
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODoyleRules
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearmint67
The remark or quote written by the signer does not down grade to assigned grade.


Great to know as I am leaning towards an inscription on the back cover. Does anyone know if Mr. Shatner does inscriptions? There is no mention of it on the Cincy Con website.



Just ask him to write what you want.
He is in his 90's. He won't object....
Post 17 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@ODoyleRules - So I am generally not a fan of cover signatures. I have only had artists sign the inside of my comics. That said, as Shatner is not an artist, I would have him sign the back of the comic only. But, that is because of his scene caption being so prominent on the back and front signings are generally distracting...to me. Then I would send in to CBCS for Press, Grade, Authentication and protective encapsulation. But this is about you, but the idea of a back cover signing is great. Congrats in advance.

Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector ODoyleRules private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
Congrats in advance.


Thank you. I am pumped about this. I was 11 when watching the show and owned this comic when I was kid. At my age, you appreciate those seconds when you can feel like a kid again!
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfoster43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearmint67
@ODoyleRules

Bill seems like a cool cat that should accommodate your request to sign front & back.
On the back have him remark with "Beam Me Up"


If it was mine I think I'd have him do his SNL quote under his "Bill Shatner" and write "Get a Life!" LOL loved him for that back in the day!

That SNL skit was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.


It was funny. The poor guy he asked "have you ever kissed a girl, and the guy drops his head, and Shatner says I was right" too funny..

PS... Forgot to give you your birthday cake..


Post 20 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
@Nearmint67
LOL! I'll take it!
Post 21 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODoyleRules
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
Congrats in advance.


Thank you. I am pumped about this. I was 11 when watching the show and owned this comic when I was kid. At my age, you appreciate those seconds when you can feel like a kid again!

Make sure to share when you get it back! I watched the show growing up. It's still one of my favourites.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODoyleRules


How many of you would have Mr. Shatner sign both the front and back covers?


Not me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODoyleRules

Would you have him inscribe something on the back (if he is willing to do so) and what would it be?

Maybe? I've heard Bill isn't really into star trek "fan-boying". If you want, just have him sign it to you. If he would be for it, I'd probably go with "to boldly go".
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODoyleRules

If I get him to sign both the front and back covers, when submitting it to the VSP do I submit it for two signatures being verified?

Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODoyleRules

Considering getting it pressed, but if I have him sign the back cover with an an inscription I would be reluctant to do so due to the amount of the writing. Thoughts?

This should have no bearing on decision to press. Though I'd stay away from metallic inks/sharpies. Do the regular sharpie.
Post 23 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@ODoyleRules Where are you getting the signature from?

I’m managing my dad’s comic collection. He just bought a Star Trek #1 and was interested in getting a Shatner sig
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector ODoyleRules private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Make sure to share when you get it back! I watched the show growing up. It's still one of my favourites.


Will provide before and after(grading) pictures! I appreciate all the input!
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector ODoyleRules private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
If he would be for it, I'd probably go with "to boldly go".


This was my first inclination. Or either just "Go Boldly!"

The whole phrase "To boldly go where no man has gone before" would be cool, but is too many words for an inscription.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector ODoyleRules private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@ODoyleRules Where are you getting the signature from?


He is at the Cincinnati Comic Expo this weekend.
Post 27 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@ODoyleRules Dang, not enough time for me to make arrangements. The book will probably be delivered to me on Thursday
Post 28 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
Look to see if CBCS or CGC is doing "Witness" first!!

Do that instead of VSP... save the headache of being rejected even though it was signed in front of you.

also dont get it inscribed. reduces the value.

Most people wont want to buy an autographed Shatner made out to "To Tony" etc...
Post 29 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
@ODoyleRules he's all over. lol
Post 30 IP   flag post
520716 105 30
Log in or sign up to compose a reply.