Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

What's your monthly spend for new comic books?18421

Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
@James42 my LCS’s suck. They nickel n dime and won’t preorder unless they already had plans to do so. Very happy with MCS for subs and pre orders.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
@James42
Your LCS sounds pretty awesome. On those occasions when I feel the need to buy something new, I go to our LCS. I see no reason not to spend just a bit extra to help keep one of our local merchants going. Plus, whenever he buys a collection (doesn't happen often, sadly) he'll hold anything I'm interested in behind the counter for me. That's how I got to a couple of nice Detectives before the crowd even got to see them.
Post 27 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Under 100.00 a month. This month is like 74.00
DCBS has great service and discounts.

Gotta go or I will be late for @Byrdibyrd birthday party.... woop woop...
Post 28 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by James42
they are packed solid end to end without bags and boards.

Man that's crazy... Get them into bags n boards man.
Worth the cost.
Holler at Matt, he will hook you up.
https://mattsbaseball.com/store/
Post 29 IP   flag post
I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
@Byrdibyrd It's a great shop. https://captainscomics.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearmint67
Quote:
they are packed solid end to end without bags and boards.

Man that's crazy... Get them into bags n boards man.
Worth the cost.
Holler at Matt, he will hook you up.
https://mattsbaseball.com/store/

I'm working on it. But it's a ton of books. Managing about 200/week into bags and boards, alphabetized, and entered into my database.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Quote:
I'm working on it. But it's a ton of books. Managing about 200/week into bags and boards, alphabetized, and entered into my database.

It's tough and time-consuming but totally worth it. My collection had been sitting around for years (read: decades) untouched, and by the time I finally got back into it, things like websites to help catalogue your collection had been invented. It took weeks but it got done.
Post 31 IP   flag post
I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
@Byrdibyrd I have been working on it all summer, pretty much. Almost 5800 books done, with at least 1400 left to go. I have pulled a lot out for sale, too. All of Superior Spider Man, Superior Iron Man, all my Ultimate books that aren't Spider Man related, etc. Looking forward to getting back to a maintenance level instead of the slog of mass data entry.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
My monthly order ranges from $350-600. I order floppies and collected editions but I will be cutting floppies except for maybe two or three titles come the January or February order 2023.

I have never had a problem with my LCS. I have been using the same one for approaching 30 years. This past year the customer base has really turned against many retailers in the pursuit of the dollar and it really sucks. I realize that there are crappy retailers out there but how hostile some customers are now is just crazy.
Post 33 IP   flag post
@James42
It is rough getting it all done. I separated out my get-graded-for-sure books and my maybe-get-graded books and my Hell-no books. I haven't tackled the idea of cataloguing the Hell-no books, but I should at least do all the older ones. OMG... more data entry...
Post 34 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxbladder
My monthly order ranges from $350-600. I order floppies and collected editions but I will be cutting floppies except for maybe two or three titles come the January or February order 2023.

I have never had a problem with my LCS. I have been using the same one for approaching 30 years. This past year the customer base has really turned against many retailers in the pursuit of the dollar and it really sucks. I realize that there are crappy retailers out there but how hostile some customers are now is just crazy.
maybe I’m miss interpreted , but if you have “poor” business practices then you will (should) see the results of them.

“Hostile” customers? Do you mean the customers who will fight with every breath to be “right” or get what they want even if they don’t deserve it and spend more time than it’s worth on the given agenda? I know those; they are the worst. I can go toe to toe with them; I am proudly the (self proclaimed) King of Petty and am very formidable😂
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector Travis private msg quote post Address this user
New comics I only been picking up Spider-Man and punisher but the back issues is where all my money goes. Some of the older key books can really put a dent in a budget. Two big keys I bought this month asm 238 xmen 95 put a dent in my comic budget that and always buying bags and boards and new bcw plastic boxes been getting one a month to swap out old boxes and they are nice but I am about done buying boxes just need to get more Mylar bags and boards to convert some of my issues over to mylar but I around five to 400 a month for the last few months but I think my prob is back issues mostly I got to tell my self I don’t need every book in that series just the keys buddy. Also I do look at slabs a lot looking for a good deal on them can get you in trouble because slab buying can be addictive just as much as buying back issues.
Post 36 IP   flag post
@Travis
I was an obsessive completist. That's a tough habit to break. It really hurts because those older keys can destroy the budget! I just have to stop looking at certain websites that I tend to buy from, and I also set a goal for myself. I can only have a given book if I can find it at a certain price or below. If I don't like what condition the books are in at that price, then I either suck it up or accept that I don't get the book. One rule is that I buy everything raw. Slabbed books are just too pricey, especially the kind of stuff I tend to buy (older books).
Post 37 IP   flag post
I award you no points… stanley_1883 private msg quote post Address this user
I don’t even have an LCS. Seattle area sucks. I haven’t been to a good LCS in ages.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley_1883
I haven’t been to a good LCS in ages.

Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector desslocktx private msg quote post Address this user
@Scifinator Re: "I spend $0 on new comic typically. However I did buy the Overstreet’s Lost Universe’s earlier this year. It sang to me."

Thank you for mentioning this!
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxbladder

maybe I’m miss interpreted , but if you have “poor” business practices then you will (should) see the results of them.

“Hostile” customers? Do you mean the customers who will fight with every breath to be “right” or get what they want even if they don’t deserve it and spend more time than it’s worth on the given agenda? I know those; they are the worst. I can go toe to toe with them; I am proudly the (self proclaimed) King of Petty and am very formidable😂

Yes, you are not interpreting incorrectly. If any retailer doesn't treat each customer as they would like to be treated when shopping for anything then yes their business likely is doomed. Though some collectibles retailers can get away with bad behaviour just because their stock and the potential of it to make money can make people look the other way. Don't interpret this to me believing in the "the customer is always right" because I think that is BS. Customers are not free to be jerks.

As for hostile customers, in my neck of the woods there are a number of Facebook groups and many of them are big into flipping and there are little groups of them that get together and shoot the poop and obsessively go through Key Collector and then make the rounds of the stores and try to either buy up all the copies of the hot book(s) of the week. They expect retailers to have the book or variant and if they have multiples they expect the retailer to sell them all or if it is a back issue they want a deal on it. If the retailer doesn't have it or won't sell it to them below going FMV they often go online and passively aggressively slam the retailer (passive aggressive in that they often don't name the the retailer though it not all that hard to figure out. Basically they are in it to make money and if they can't then they complain and they actually get mad if a retailer tries to get FMV. They expect the retailer to take all the risk but not make all the money. At the shop that I go to the vast majority of these guys are NOT regulars do not shop there regularly but they expect the a discount.

The customers will have no or little issue paying FMV to the average collector selling a book or the basement sellers but when local retailer try and get the same values for their books they get angry. Often they will not buy a certain issue at FMV price, leave the store and try to get it cheaper elsewhere. In the meantime the retailer sells the book and when the non-buying customer comes back to buy it and they find out it was sold they get upset. Before the market exploded these behaviours were not that common but now it is commonplace. There's one store that escapes this practice right now because he was a former basement seller. He can get FMV for his keys without issue.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Miss Chanandler Bong jake private msg quote post Address this user
I think that I am closer to $115/month. I try to go every other week. In today’s haul, got a free tote bag from my LCS. They had merch at their booth during this past weekend’s Small Press Expo (SPX)

Post 42 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
it depends. spent maybe $60 the last week for 19 comics for two sales one on ebay shop and one of midtowncomics.com (Im so behind on the 10 series I read and not including mini series). some months its less, sometimes more. some months none at all.
Post 43 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
I haven't bought any new comics since DC Multiversity and DC Universe Rebirth.......but if DC does another reboot I'll probably be in again with a full pull box.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
New comics are cool if you find the stuff you like. My pull list goes anywhere from about $70-$120 per month just depending on what all has come out. It'll go down when some of the titles end, like the IDW Transformers stuff, and the random independent titles and minis. I don't try and add a lot of new stuff since it does get pricey after a while.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Staple topics, nice. makahuka private msg quote post Address this user
$240 - $300, I buy stuff I like first and actually follow a few series until I get bored of story lines or the artwork changes, series ends, first issues. I've been collecting since the early 70's, so some of my purchases go to things I wasn't able to buy when I was a youngster, and I actually have a list of comics I want from the 70's until now, that I work from. My LCS actually has about 5 stores in its chain, so I'm able to call around if I miss something at one shop, and can go to another, not only that, but I also always purchase a discount card ($10) and receive 20% off of all my collectables, not just comics, I dig my comic shop chain. There are a number of other shops I frequent to look for current or back issues as well, I think there are about 10 different shops I go to within a 25-mile radius of where I live. On top of that, my local swap meets are pretty cool to look around, some comic sellers there too.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by makahuka
My LCS actually has about 5 stores in its chain, so I'm able to call around if I miss something at one shop, and can go to another, not only that, but I also always purchase a discount card ($10) and receive 20% off of all my collectables, not just comics, I dig my comic shop chain

I like them also. Been to a couple of them. I like the one that's in the old building right off the freeway (I think El Cajon?). I like the ambiance there better than the one I went to that was inside a shopping center.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Staple topics, nice. makahuka private msg quote post Address this user
@EbayMafia Awesome, that's my primary in El Cajon. The shop at Parkway Plaza is actually used as a storage place even though they are open for business. They also have a shop off the 8 near mission Valley, one in the Chula Vista/National City area, and I think there's one still in the Carlsbad area, you probably already know that being a local, apologies.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe $20 a month. And $12 is habit because I don't want to break up long runs of ASM, Batman and Iron Man. I realize a lot of talented people work in comics today, but the two major publishers endless reboots/relaunches/nothing you read in the past matters ruined it for me decades ago.

Besides, when I open up a comic book I want to smell newsprint. Yeah, I'm that old.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Miss Chanandler Bong jake private msg quote post Address this user
I know that it’s a wee bit north, but any LCS recommendations near Santa Monica or Mammoth? I plan to be there in December.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Collector cesidio private msg quote post Address this user
It changes. Only buy variants 1:100 to 1:1000
Last time I. Bought a new book was a thor #1. Which is currently out for grading
Post 51 IP   flag post
598012 51 26
This topic is archived. Start new topic?