Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

OT; What are you eating/ cooking; Part 3.18415

CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Well said @Davethebrave. Above and beyond all, rubbery.
Post 201 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Hashbrown casserole.

Post 202 IP   flag post
Collector Silversorrow private msg quote post Address this user
I just learned how to make Beer Bread 🍞, Now that is good bread!
Sorry I've already eaten most of it, this is all that's left....
Post 203 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Continuing the bread trend, although still uneaten, with some cornbread.

Post 204 IP   flag post
@flanders Cornbread should be made in an iron skillet. Also, if you are putting it together from scratch, throw one half to one tablespoon of sugar in there. It will kill the aftertaste that some recipes tend to have without it. Trust me on this.
Post 205 IP   flag post

I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@DrWatson I appreciate the advice. I thought something tasted off with the recipe that calls for 3/4 cup sugar. It's far too sweet and kills the taste.
Post 206 IP   flag post
Here's the recipe I use. I usually cut it in half and bake it in a 4 or 5 inch iron skillet. I bake it at 425 checking after 20 minutes. Also, instead of all butter, I will put one or two tablespoons of butter in the measuring cup and then fill in the rest with vegetable oil to get the appropriate measuring cup size. I pour the butter/oil into a cold skillet and let it heat up in the oven as it is coming to temperature. When the oven has preheated, I take the pan out of the oven and then pour the melted butter and hot oil into the cornbread batter, stir it up, pour it all back into the hot pan, and then put it in the oven to bake. Best cornbread ever... and I'm not a big fan of the stuff.

Ingredients

1/2 cup unsalted butter melted (or bacon drippings)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal (or polenta)
1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
2 teaspoons baking powder (optional: yields a fluffier cornbread)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup buttermilk shake before measuring
2 large eggs

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 200C | 400F and position a rack in the middle. Lightly grease a 9-inch cast iron skillet or 9-inch square baking dish with butter and place skillet/dish into the oven to heat up. 
(Alternatively for cast iron skillets: heat 1/2 cup of unmelted butter in your cast iron over stove top on medium heat until melted, turn heat off then allow the butter to cool slightly before adding to the batter.)
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder (If using), baking soda and salt.
Make a well in the center and add the buttermilk and eggs. Mix together well to combine, then add in the slightly cooled melted butter. Mix again until 'just' combined (don't over mix).
Carefully remove your 'hot' pan or dish from the oven with oven mitts, and pour the batter into the hot skillet or dish. Listen to that sizzle! That's what you want.
Bake until the cornbread begins to brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (about 20-23 minutes). Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Post 207 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Here's the recipe I use. I usually cut it in half and bake it in a 4 or 5 inch iron skillet. I bake it at 425 checking after 20 minutes. Also, instead of all butter, I will put one or two tablespoons of butter in the measuring cup and then fill in the rest with vegetable oil to get the appropriate measuring cup size. I pour the butter/oil into a cold skillet and let it heat up in the oven as it is coming to temperature. When the oven has preheated, I take the pan out of the oven and then pour the melted butter and hot oil into the cornbread batter, stir it up, pour it all back into the hot pan, and then put it in the oven to bake. Best cornbread ever... and I'm not a big fan of the stuff.

Ingredients

1/2 cup unsalted butter melted (or bacon drippings)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal (or polenta)
1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
2 teaspoons baking powder (optional: yields a fluffier cornbread)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup buttermilk shake before measuring
2 large eggs

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 200C | 400F and position a rack in the middle. Lightly grease a 9-inch cast iron skillet or 9-inch square baking dish with butter and place skillet/dish into the oven to heat up. 
(Alternatively for cast iron skillets: heat 1/2 cup of unmelted butter in your cast iron over stove top on medium heat until melted, turn heat off then allow the butter to cool slightly before adding to the batter.)
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder (If using), baking soda and salt.
Make a well in the center and add the buttermilk and eggs. Mix together well to combine, then add in the slightly cooled melted butter. Mix again until 'just' combined (don't over mix).
Carefully remove your 'hot' pan or dish from the oven with oven mitts, and pour the batter into the hot skillet or dish. Listen to that sizzle! That's what you want.
Bake until the cornbread begins to brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (about 20-23 minutes). Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before slicing and serving.

My wife is a terrific cook. I have copied and pasted your recipe and instructions for my wife to make this on the weekend. I really like cornbread and I'm very much looking forward to eating this. Thank you for sharing this!
Post 208 IP   flag post
I don't use buttermilk either as I never have it. I use whole, 2%, or skim milk. Whatever I have on hand.
Post 209 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Smoked pork shoulder butt sliders.

I think he said it was in there for 24 hours

Post 210 IP   flag post
Does anyone know of a good banana cream pie or lemon meringue recipe? I've never made either of these but was thinking of making them instead of the usual pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving.
Post 211 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
This is a quick and dirty recipe we use a lot. Everyone who has tried it thinks it's pretty good.

Banana Cream Pie

2 9inch baked pie shell
1 (3-1/4 oz.) pkg. vanilla pudding mix
1-3/4 cups of milk
16 large marshmallows or 1-1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
1/2 cup whipping cream
3 bananas sliced

1. Bake pie shell, as desired. Set aside.
2. Place pudding mix in 1-quart casserole. Gradually stir in milk. Cook in Radarange Oven on Cookmatic Level 8 for
5-1/2 minutes, or until pudding boils and is thickened. Stir 2 to 3 times during cooking time.
3. Add marshmallows. Stir until marshmallows are melted. Cover with waxed paper. Chill.
4. Whip cream untill stiff in small mixing bowl. Fold into cooled pudding mixture.
5. Slice bananas into pie shell. Pour filling over bananas. Chill several hours before serving.

Edit

Radarange is the same as microwave. And if you use instant pudding, you need to nuke the pudding enough to melt the marshmallows.

Given your diet, I am not sure you can eat it, but the rest of your family should like it just fine.
Post 212 IP   flag post
I used a different recipe than @Bronte's (I'll give that one a try next time) with ingredients on hand, but this turned out great after cooling overnight.

Post 213 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Everybody remember to get some good pictures tomorrow for this thread.
Post 214 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia

Does it count if it's just mcdonalds?
Post 215 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
@EbayMafia

Better than turkey. Turkey sucks, I call Thanksgiving and Easter bland white people food day.
Post 216 IP   flag post
Personally I like honey baked ham. Too bad it's do dang expensive....
Post 217 IP   flag post
Quote:
Personally I like honey baked ham. Too bad it's do dang expensive....
Lol, thats all I'll eat anymore. We had made one on Sunday that I divided out for 3 meals. One of their main factories is in the business park I work in. You should see their ham juice run off pond!
Post 218 IP   flag post
I'd imagine a lot of animals lined up for a taste
Post 219 IP   flag post
Quote:
I'd imagine a lot of animals lined up for a taste
It tickles me to talk about this pond, I observe it every day. No, not many animals, it's all fenced in because it is somewhat of an urban area still. We don't want babies sticking their heads in like 5 gallon buckets. Geese kick it there in the spring. Recently however, the second water aerator quite working. It looks like the whole top layer is MSG'ed out and has a "skin".
Post 220 IP   flag post
Ewww..... sounds nasty

So much for an outdoor Charlie and chocolate type scenario
Post 221 IP   flag post
Does it really sound much different than gravy? If a guy is a gravy guy he could take a dip in it.
Post 222 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Turkey on Thanksgiving, but it ain’t Easter without a Triple M Budaball Ham!
Post 223 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@EbayMafia

Definitely get pics if it's McDonalds.
Post 224 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Everybody remember to get some good pictures tomorrow for this thread.

All in all, it wasn't too bad.

Post 225 IP   flag post
Collector RexMuff private msg quote post Address this user
After 7 hours, I think she’s done. 28lbs is a lot of turkey, and 6am is too early to get up on Thanksgiving. Next year, I’m going back to frying it, an hour and it’s done
Post 226 IP   flag post
Made a pumpkin pie this morning.

Post 227 IP   flag post
Chinese for dinner if they are open...

Post 228 IP   flag post
Lunch.

Baked potato, homemade chili, Cheddar cheese, and sour cream.

Post 229 IP   flag post
Keep your $6.87 bro... not even saving tax with that. Cli4dR3D0g private msg quote post Address this user
Wife made some PEEcan pie for the first time.

Post 230 IP   flag post
600473 999 30