Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

OT; What are you eating/ cooking; Part 3.18415

The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@flanders

I'm told I cook fairly well but your right I can't eat what I cook. I have given up cooking completely since my brother came home and probably tapered off severely a few years before that. The last thing I made for myself was a peanut butter and jelly sandwich about a month ago. Which is amazing because I have uncrustables in the freezer still.....
Post 176 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Fin…….

Post 177 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@HeinzDad
How's it taste?
Post 178 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
Fin…….

Haha, fin, fish.
Post 179 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Fin…….

Ok. That just looks incredibly delicious!!! Smoked salmon is one of my favorite smoked meats!!! And that's probably made with frozen and not fresh salmon. I don't know if you had fresh salmon to make this, but it definitely looks WAY better than the stuff I'm used to buying!!!
Post 180 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
@HeinzDad
How's it taste?
I didn’t try it. I like it cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Quote:
Fin…….

Ok. That just looks incredibly delicious!!! Smoked salmon is one of my favorite smoked meats!!! And that's probably made with frozen and not fresh salmon. I don't know if you had fresh salmon to make this, but it definitely looks WAY better than the stuff I'm used to buying!!!
It was fresh last week when I bought it. Unfortunately we had 50 mph winds and some sprinkles last weekend so I had to seal it and freeze it. No longer fresh. Today I was gifted with snow and a wintry mix after a week of sunny and mid sixties.
Post 181 IP   flag post
How is the pellet smoker? Easy to use?
Post 182 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
Just finished canning some chicken. They contain on the bone legs, thighs, and diced breast. They are currently cooling down & have already sealed. Next I have to wash em'up an store them.
Most contain three legs couldn't get in four, so I added thighs in some and some have added pieces of breast. Two of the jars are just breast pieces. (Wide Mouth 32oz Jars.)

Post 183 IP   flag post
Quote:
How is the pellet smoker? Easy to use?
yeah, if I download the app I won’t even have to go outside to check the temp.
Post 184 IP   flag post
Very cool. I'm all about being lazy
Post 185 IP   flag post
Canned some "Peppers & Hotdogs" earlier today.
These taste good with a dinner roll or crackers right out the jar.

If you want to make your own for food storage, here is the recipe.

5 lbs Hot Dogs cut into 1/2 or 3/4 chunks, then cook.
8 Cups (2x Bottles of Mt. Olive) Hot or Mild or both, Banana Peppers (pre-cut) - Use the Juice too.
2 Cloves of Garlic Chopped Fine
2 1/4 Cups of Apple Cider Vinegar
1 1/2 Cups of Sugar
1/2 Cup Olive Oil
1 Cup Italian Dressing
38oz Ketchup

Mix ingredients together and put in your canning jars, then pressure cook.
Makes 13 Pint Jars worth.

Post 186 IP   flag post
You must have a ton of space to house all those jars.....
Post 187 IP   flag post
@Bronte Yeah we do. Gotta make room. Prepairing for the future and you guys should be doing the same if you havent started yet.

Next, we are going to grind up a lot of chuck roast, and can it as well.
Post 188 IP   flag post
If the world goes to crap and I lose access to medications, my entire immediate family is toast. Food and water aren't the only things that we need to survive.
Post 189 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@GanaSoth - You had me until the last ingredient.
Post 190 IP   flag post
@esaravo

Not a fan of ketchup?
Post 191 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte - One bottle would last me a lifetime. I never use it straight onto anything (mustard on hotdogs and hamburgers please). I occasionally (rarely) use a very small amount as a complimentary ingredient in a recipe, otherwise I avoid it at all costs. Oddly, I love tomato sauce and think it makes many types of meats taste better. You can’t make a real good tomato sauce without pork and beef.
Post 192 IP   flag post
I have a recipe for sloppy Joe's and it suggested swapping tomato sauce for ketchup. It turned out for the better I think. I used to eat ketchup on everything. Now I barely use it as an adult....
Post 193 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I have a recipe for sloppy Joe's

Post 194 IP   flag post
@esaravo You can use tomato paste/or make your own spaghetti sauce or even V-8 Juice instead.
Post 195 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@Bronte - One bottle would last me a lifetime. I never use it straight onto anything (mustard on hotdogs and hamburgers please). I occasionally (rarely) use a very small amount as a complimentary ingredient in a recipe, otherwise I avoid it at all costs. Oddly, I love tomato sauce and think it makes many types of meats taste better. You can’t make a real good tomato sauce without pork and beef.

In the mid 70's I was on a bowling league for kids (I was 12) called the Hot Dog & Coke League lol...
Of course they fed us hot dogs & coke.....
Post 196 IP   flag post
Quote:
Fin…….

Ok it's gotta be cool by now. How'd it taste?
Post 197 IP   flag post

Here’s an empty skin from someone else.

Post 198 IP   flag post
Ok. I'm not a big fish person so forgive the stupid question, I thought the skin was edible?

From the bear, I assume it was divine. But the carcass suggests it wasnt??

Mom used to make canned salmon with onion drizzled with oil and I ate the hell out of skin and anything else in tbe can.
Post 199 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Ok. I'm not a big fish person so forgive the stupid question, I thought the skin was edible?

From the bear, I assume it was divine. But the carcass suggests it wasnt??

Mom used to make canned salmon with onion drizzled with oil and I ate the hell out of skin and anything else in tbe can.

Salmon skin is edible. Edible is not a high bar, however. Crispy salmon skin is delicious. Salmon skin from a can is soft enough that it’s very easy to eat (the bones from canned salmon are also edible - and healthy). For some other preparations I personally find the skin’s texture a bit too rubbery to be pleasant.

Have never smoked my own salmon but imagine the skin fat is not fully rendered and so would have a) very intense (maybe too intense) smoke and b) still be rubbery.

Some avoid eating salmon skin because of environmental toxins that accumulate in the fat layer too. I might take that into account if consuming a lot of salmon…
Post 200 IP   flag post
Well said @Davethebrave. Above and beyond all, rubbery.
Post 201 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Hashbrown casserole.

Post 202 IP   flag post
Collector Silversorrow private msg quote post Address this user
I just learned how to make Beer Bread 🍞, Now that is good bread!
Sorry I've already eaten most of it, this is all that's left....
Post 203 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Continuing the bread trend, although still uneaten, with some cornbread.

Post 204 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
@flanders Cornbread should be made in an iron skillet. Also, if you are putting it together from scratch, throw one half to one tablespoon of sugar in there. It will kill the aftertaste that some recipes tend to have without it. Trust me on this.
Post 205 IP   flag post
601333 999 30