Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

OT; What are you eating/ cooking; Part 3.18415

If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte It's not cake, lol.
Post 376 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Lol. True. But I tend to like my stuff sweeter. Looking at similar recipes they tend to use a tad more sugar as well, so maybe it's not just me?
Post 377 IP   flag post
My father would flat out refuse to eat cornbread with sugar in it. I always told him that I left the sugar out. I would add the small amount to cut the aftertaste and he thought it was great.
Post 378 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@HeinzDad - Good idea, Brian!

That small pickle on the right...that's usually a sign that the jar is pretty much empty.
Post 379 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Is the corn bread recipe lurking in the thread?
Post 380 IP   flag post

The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Below is the recipe.
Taste is decent but we added more sugar. And as noted it still needed more. (In my opinion)

Here's the recipe I use. I usually cut it in half and bake it in a 4 or 5 inch iron skillet. I bake it at 425 checking after 20 minutes. Also, instead of all butter, I will put one or two tablespoons of butter in the measuring cup and then fill in the rest with vegetable oil to get the appropriate measuring cup size. I pour the butter/oil into a cold skillet and let it heat up in the oven as it is coming to temperature. When the oven has preheated, I take the pan out of the oven and then pour the melted butter and hot oil into the cornbread batter, stir it up, pour it all back into the hot pan, and then put it in the oven to bake. Best cornbread ever... and I'm not a big fan of the stuff.

Ingredients

1/2 cup unsalted butter melted (or bacon drippings)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal (or polenta)
1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
2 teaspoons baking powder (optional: yields a fluffier cornbread)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup buttermilk (shake before measuring)
2 large eggs

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 200C | 400F and position a rack in the middle. Lightly grease a 9-inch cast iron skillet or 9-inch square baking dish with butter and place skillet/dish into the oven to heat up.
(Alternatively for cast iron skillets: heat 1/2 cup of unmelted butter in your cast iron over stove top on medium heat until melted, turn heat off then allow the butter to cool slightly before adding to the batter.)
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder (If using), baking soda and salt.
Make a well in the center and add the buttermilk and eggs. Mix together well to combine, then add in the slightly cooled melted butter. Mix again until 'just' combined (don't over mix).
Carefully remove your 'hot' pan or dish from the oven with oven mitts, and pour the batter into the hot skillet or dish. Listen to that sizzle! That's what you want.
Bake until the cornbread begins to brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (about 20-23 minutes). Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Post 381 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user

Post 382 IP   flag post
Wow. I give up already. Baking is rocket appliance.
Post 383 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@HeinzDad its worth the effort.

recipe courtesy of @DrWatson
Post 384 IP   flag post
I think my only cast iron is 10
Post 385 IP   flag post
@HeinzDad

Reduce cooking time slightly. Clean toothpick will be the best judge of doneness.
Post 386 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
I think my only cast iron is 10

That would be fine. It would just be a little thinner. Check it earlier so it doesn't burn, but it would get nice and crunchy.
Post 387 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@EbayMafia - Fine deduction Mr. Holmes!
Post 388 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Bob's lazy-ass nephew strikes again! Bits of Rotisserie Chicken, Cream of chicken soup and store brand unbaked biscuits= Chicken and Dumplings. Bob's your uncle!
Much better than I expected, but I should have made the dumplings smaller so they would cook through quicker in the soup. I made 4 dumplings from each "Texas-size" biscuit, should have been 6.

On the back burner I was playing around with frying a flattened unbaked biscuit. It actually worked out and would make a decent vehicle for jam or syrup or maybe berries and whipped cream.
Post 389 IP   flag post
Does the corn bread get taken out of the cast iron once cooked or does it cool in there???? I just put it in and should have asked way sooner.
Post 390 IP   flag post
Take it out and flip it over and out on to a cooling rack. If it stays in the pan too long it will start to sweat. You want it to stay crunchy.
Post 391 IP   flag post
Thanks a bunch! Done shortly.
Post 392 IP   flag post
Dude, you saved me Doc. 18 minutes in a 10 inch.

Post 393 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
@HeinzDad jalapeno cornbread.
Post 394 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
I wasn’t gonna mention that. I didn’t want @DrWatson to know I blasphemed his recipe. Since I said that, I substitute honey anytime a recipe requires sugar.
Post 395 IP   flag post
Hey, it's your bread. It's looks really good. I hope you like it. 👍
Post 396 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
I wasn’t gonna mention that. I didn’t want @DrWatson to know I blasphemed his recipe. Since I said that, I substitute honey anytime a recipe requires sugar.

Jalapeno cornbread can't be hidden from me, and the green was obvious.

I used to have the 1970's Furr's Cafeteria recipe,.. it was really good. I put myself through Jr. high and high school working there. Almost became a restaurant manager but I burned out, and it wasn't my calling.
Post 397 IP   flag post
@HeinzDad

What was your opinion on bread?
Post 398 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
@HeinzDad

What was your opinion on bread?

It sure looks pretty damn good.
Post 399 IP   flag post
I put off cutting into it. Then I did. Now, a third of it is gone.
Post 400 IP   flag post
Sounds like a success.
Post 401 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Office was flooded this morning so I got sent home. meaning, I got to make myself a proper breakfast for once!
Post 402 IP   flag post
I’m not sure why I needed this amount of baked beans at my house.

Post 403 IP   flag post
Lack of fiber?
Post 404 IP   flag post

I made cornbread.
Post 405 IP   flag post
598100 999 30