Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Uh-Oh CGC, your turn in the barrel again18411

Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Book swapping? Looks like CGC and CBCS are going to take turns committing self-inflicted PR wounds:

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/512889-is-this-the-same-book/
Post 1 IP   flag post
You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user

Post 2 IP   flag post
20 bucks says that the presser falls on the sword.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia

I agree with you.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Sebastsk8 private msg quote post Address this user
With the way that book looked, I'm not sure why he would even have it pressed, at the very least not have ccs press it.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
That white area near Thor - that's all the evidence needed. Not the same book

All I can say (which is not good) is one just hopes and prays these are incredibly rare instances of occurrence and ya just hope you don't experience this or any other shenanigans (Clan McDonald loss of books included).
Post 6 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Sad to say, but with the way things are playing out over there, it doesn't seem to make a difference who/how these things happen. They all seem to have impunity.
Post 7 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
He got a better book back than what he sent in. There's no way that book with the color rub on the back would have gotten a 9.6.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector PhilCoulson private msg quote post Address this user
@DrWatson I agree with you and it does appear to be different books. The book he sent in had fewer ticks, etc but that color rub looks bad enough that it would never get a 9.8. I also think it's fortunate that the book sent back with a 9.6 got that high as well due to those ticks and the condition of the corner closest to it. It's unfortunate the books were swapped but probably about the same grade.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector ticktocktyler private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
He got a better book back than what he sent in. There's no way that book with the color rub on the back would have gotten a 9.6.

Agree. He got a book back with no white line down the LB cover and no color rub. Instead he got back a nicer book with 2 spine ticks near a staple. His original book would get a 9.0-9.2 tops.

The problem he and others have now is who decided to give him a better book and where did the better book come from. I always assume submitter books are isolated cells that have no crossover with other collections. I wonder how closely graders and encapsulators sit next to each other?
Post 10 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
If this were my business, I would admit to the customer's original book being damaged while pressed and replaced with the book he received at my expense.
Post 11 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Been watching that thread over there. Poor guy.
I have to disagree he got back a better book though. Even if he only got a 9.6 (who knows with CGC anymore), his is a better 9.6 aside from the offset wrap.

Post 12 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Definitely not the same comic. I know that while CBCS knocks down grade for production lines like the one shown and cgc does not, i also know that pressing will not remove that.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Oteemorse private msg quote post Address this user
Switched book for sure and that’s why I won’t send in books especially to CGC They need onsite grading and even then it’s an issue.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
You can also see it in the position of Iron man's right shoulder light and the distance between Caps chest start in relationship to the right edge. Completely different cover cut.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
That white area near Thor - that's all the evidence needed. Not the same book

Aside from trimming, nothing could have caused that white space to become narrower. Very VERY obviously different books.
Post 16 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/jayz-blackstone-collectibles-acquisition-buy-stock-roc-nation-ccg-nba-2021-7

Post 17 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
I think we all agree that they are two different books. Now what? Confront CGC, see a lawyer. Where do you go from here?
Post 19 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Damages may be hard to prove. An expert (on CGC’s behalf) can argue they received a book that is equal or greater value. Based on the info that may be credible.

Of course the real leverage is reputational harm (yes, CGC still has a reputation to protect)… that they would swap a customer book even IF the swap was equivalent.

I’d prefer this BS be resolved publicly so CGC either learns a lesson or it is otherwise explained/resolved.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Damages may be hard to prove. An expert can argue they received a book that is equal or greater value.

Of course the real leverage is reputational harm (yes, CGC still has a reputation to protect)… that they would swap a customer book even IF the swap was equivalent.

This customer will have a tough time proving damages because the book they received may be better than the one they submitted, but there has to be another customer. Who got this customer's book? If this is something that happens by accident, then only half of customers involved might be get a better book out of it.
Post 21 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
There are other potential issues if intentional.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

No, the slabbed copy has damage (as well as 2 other identifying aspects) that absolutely could not incur from pressing.

They are 2 different books, dozens of examples one can point to to show this.

Even if the book was thrown around in a shipping box and/or dropped before pressing it (and/or the presser did an extremely poor job) it, there's no way any presser or anyone else who handled the book (or shipping box) could be to blame and the 3 biggest & irrefutable giveaways are:

1)
No white production ink line on left BC edge on the slabbed 9.6 but it's present on the raw copy.

2)
The 9.6 slabbed copy has ink rubbing & light surface wear all over the back cover, lesser degree on the FC.

Raw copy does not.

3)
Staple placement is different on both copies.

It'd actually be an ideal time for a thief to work at a either CGC or CBCS now, both companies are slammed with work and are in a state of flux.

I sincerely hope the catch the employee who did this and he or she is fired, and the news hits the CGC boards, if not, I may have to sub more books to CBCS and hold off on any CGC subs til this is resolved, with no questions.

I have been pressing books for the past month and will be pressing more til the week of Baltimore; should have about 2 short boxes worth of books ready for subbing at Baltimore.

I planned on taking FC & BC pics of each book before subbing them but even so, I don't want to have to deal with any of my books being switched out.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicHoarder
I planned on taking FC

That was not my standard operating procedure before, but it will be now, especially for anything going to CGC.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

No, the slabbed copy has damage (as well as 2 other identifying aspects) that absolutely could not incur from pressing.

I think my point was unclear. It’s obvious they are two different books, that’s not in question. My point was that the presser may take responsibility for the accidental switch.
Post 25 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
From my understanding, it was CCS that did the pressing. If that's the case, it's pretty much the same as if cgc was at fault. They're both under the same corporate umbrella.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
From my understanding, it was CCS that did the pressing. If that's the case, it's pretty much the same as if cgc was at fault. They're both under the same corporate umbrella.

True, both are bad. But I think that a book getting mixed up at the presser is more understandable and palatable than it getting swapped in the grading process. Especially since many of the submitters do not use CCS. It would be a way to minimize the PR hit by isolating it.
Post 27 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I think my point was unclear. It’s obvious they are two different books, that’s not in question. My point was that the presser may take responsibility for the accidental switch.

That is a very good point. No doubt UF4 is high on the press/grade/slab agenda.
Post 28 IP   flag post

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/blackstone-private-equity-ancestry-com-dna/
Post 29 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
Whatever happened (either accidental or deliberate), we'll probably never know. And we'll definitely never know the specifics.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601366 84 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?