Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Silver Age

Question about my first set of graded books1841

Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Hi, everyone. Well, I've just received my first shipment of graded comics. (Yay!) The new label is fine, and I like the new logo. Still sad that the old one is gone of course, but this one isn't bad.

I have a question for the regulars here. Some of my returned books are a bit wavy in the slab (horizontally). This surprises me ... I thought (naively, perhaps) that the comics would be held flat somehow in the inner well. Similar to a stiff comic bag. Is this waviness usual, or even expected occasionally?

The books themselves were all pressed by Joe beforehand, so I don't think they would have this without the slab - they should just lay flat. But in the slab they don't. Is this a problem? Does it mean there is the wrong kind of pressure on the comics? Thanks.
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Post up some pictures.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Pictures! Wanna' see!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
So the Mylar inside the slab is making them wavy? Is the Mylar too small for the comics?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Okay, I took some pics, will post shortly.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Okay, here are four. Maybe a third of the comics have this going on. Here's the first:

The second one:

...the third:

And here are three pics of the fourth, which has waves on the side and the top, and has a dent in the spine:

In that last image it isn't readily apparent, but it looks very much like something that would easily be pressed out. And it is being held in that position, it looks like, while a bag and board would hold it flat and work against that dent, not with it.
Post 6 IP   flag post
For the record, I'm not complaining here ... I'm new to all this, so I'm just asking if this is normal or expected sometimes. I don't know a whole lot about how the comics are held inside, etc.

FYI, in the last image, the line to the left is flat; the one in the center is not. Also, the shadows in the fourth one are from my hand, not the comic.
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
I'd be pissed. Not cool. Slab should be better than a board and toploader. Especially considering you had them pancaked beforehand.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@Tedsaid That does not look right. None of my books came back like that. Hope it is taken care of. Please keep us updated on any findings.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Okay, good to know. I guess I should call them tomorrow, send some of these back. Would be glad to hear additional comments.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector gary_k private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah id contact CS at CBCS , that is not the norm for sure
Post 11 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
You need to look up the grading notes. If the grading notes mention waves or bends in the books, then this is most likely an (undesired) result from the pressing. If the grading notes do not mention waves or bends in the book, then perhaps it's something to do with the encapsulation.

Most likely, what you see is from the press. I'm not meaning to be critical. CFP has a good reputation and anyone/business pressing can occasionally have books exhibit waves or bends. The good news is that another press will near always fix it.

The one book with the "spine dent" is not a defect that can be fixed with pressing. That dent actually has damaged the paper. One of the confusing things about graders notes is the "color breaking crease". White is not a color. White is the absence of color. You will not see a grading note that says "color breaking crease" in the white areas. But if that crease was in an area that was black or blue or red, it would most certainly be breaking color. Because even from a picture you can see the paper is damaged. Pressing can't fix that.
Post 12 IP   flag post
FYI - none of the grading notes mention waves, but they all mention the color breaking dents. (These are mostly mid-grade books.)
Post 13 IP   flag post
Definitely contact CBCS, I've never seen that happen with their slabs before. CGC on other hand, it's common (and they don't care).
Post 14 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
FYI - none of the grading notes mention waves, but they all mention the color breaking dents. (These are mostly mid-grade books.)

Well, as others have said then, you should contact CBCS. You have books that look a bit wavy that grading notes do not mention such. Which suggests that only look that way once encapsulated.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan

Well, as others have said then, you should contact CBCS. You have books that look a bit wavy that grading notes do not mention such. Which suggests that only look that way once encapsulated.

Yeah, I guess I'm gonna have to. Really don't feel like messing with this, after waiting 6 months for the dang things. (I submitted July 2nd at HeroesCon, then waited for the new labels.) I'm just surprised that the slabs even allow waviness, let alone cause it (perhaps - still not sure). I just imagined the inner well would keep the comic flat, or the holder itself would. I guess that isn't how it works. Strange.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan

Yeah, I guess I'm gonna have to. Really don't feel like messing with this, after waiting 6 months for the dang things. (I submitted July 2nd at HeroesCon, then waited for the new labels.) I'm just surprised that the slabs even allow waviness, let alone cause it (perhaps - still not sure). I just imagined the inner well would keep the comic flat, or the holder itself would. I guess that isn't how it works. Strange.

I've unslabed lots of books. From all the grading companies. I have no idea what might have caused what you speak of. I really, really expected the grading notes to mention it - which would mean the books were like what you see before encapsulation. The inner holder of an encapsulated comic is not so rigid and stiff that it would eliminate waviness. no more so than say a good quality Mylar bag. The outer holder is only designed to prevent damage from handling. It's rigid to prevent bending. But it doesn't really press down on the book itself.

The only "slab" that was known to cause waviness was CGC's Generation 2 slab without an inner holder.That slab was designed to exert pressure on the book you speak of. With the problem being it's impossible to have even pressure all the way across a book. Comic books are thicker at the spine. This led to the books developing waves in lower pressure areas.

The phone call to CBCS is free. See what they say.
Post 17 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Just saw this thread and usually would have replied sooner. Been down the last week with the worst case of the flu I have ever experienced. Books being wavy in cases is nothing new. Square bound and certain golden age book exhibit lots of waves from the inner well. If Ted had contacted me directly (maybe he did as I have not been online at all) I would have helped him get his answers. It appears he has been sent in the right direction, but it is nothing to worry about as it usually has no affect on the books condition. If there were rings or foreign objects inside the well, then it would warrant being concerned.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Hi, Joe. No, I hadn't tried to contact you yet. I was planning to call CBCS on Monday or Tuesday. But I'm glad to hear this. Thanks for responding.

And I'm sorry you've had the flu! That can really knock it out of you, sometimes for weeks after. Hope you feel better soon.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
Been down the last week with the worst case of the flu I have ever experienced.

The flu strain this season is maddening. I got it on Tuesday, went to the doctor on Wednesday and had to go back again on Friday as I wasn't getting any better. FINALLY starting to show signs of relief today. Couldn't sleep for days as I was so uncomfortable.

Sorry off topic.
Post 20 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Ted, these books appear to have been damaged in shipping. Get in contact with Zach next week and we will get everything straightened out for you.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
Ted, these books appear to have been damaged in shipping. Get in contact with Zach next week and we will get everything straightened out for you.

Okay, I will do that. Thanks, Steve.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Hi, everyone. Well, I've just received my first shipment of graded comics. (Yay!) The new label is fine, and I like the new logo. Still sad that the old one is gone of course, but this one isn't bad.

I have a question for the regulars here. Some of my returned books are a bit wavy in the slab (horizontally). This surprises me ... I thought (naively, perhaps) that the comics would be held flat somehow in the inner well. Similar to a stiff comic bag. Is this waviness usual, or even expected occasionally?

The books themselves were all pressed by Joe beforehand, so I don't think they would have this without the slab - they should just lay flat. But in the slab they don't. Is this a problem? Does it mean there is the wrong kind of pressure on the comics? Thanks.

Happy Birthday!! Hi, was this issue resolved? Can you share what CBCS said? I just got my order and two of the books are wavy at both the tops and bottoms of both books? Guess I'll call them on Monday *sigh*
Post 23 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
I've got several orders coming, I REALLY hope you guys are outliers and this isnt turning into a common problem 😬
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
@mattness That's quite worrisome. I wonder what's causing the waviness issues? Since this is the second case in recent times, I hope CBCS is aware of it and working to remedy the problem.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Hi, all. Sorry for the lack of updates. I've been very busy this past week: with work, looking for a condo to buy, dipping my toe in with online sales, and - as Mattness pointed out (Thanks, Mattness!) - today's my birthday, so I've been doing birthday stuff, too.

Based on the feedback from Joe above, and the shallowness of the waves on these few, I have so far decided to not do anything. Steve Ricketts kindly offered to take care of the problem (see above); however, I think he misunderstood my original post and thought the close-up pic of the dents was new, that this was the damage sustained in shipping. They aren't new. I just posted that because I was afraid that the shallow waves were putting pressure on the dent that was already there. And part of THAT is because I misunderstood, and thought the inner well would be sort of like a mylar sleeve, or a standard bag and board, and exert some uniform pressure to keep the comic flat. Thus I believed that "waviness" of this type wasn't even really possible. But I think Joe and others cleared that up.

And so I decided that the very small chance that there IS an issue here, one that a new slab would clear up, wasn't worth the time and effort, due to a high chance that this really isn't a concern.

(I should mention that part of this decision is also due to the value of the books, which isn't very high really. The biggest problem book is a Green Lantern #17 at 5.5 ... maybe a $40 or $50 dollar comic.) A few of the comics just don't lay completely flat. I'll pay more attention to these details for my 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc., submissions, note that sort of thing in advance. And maybe I'll take these to HeroesCon in the summer and let CBCS folks look at them directly and chat about it. For now, I am largely satisfied that the issue isn't really an issue.

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate all the input and feedback.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
Hmm, I'm not sure I want to let mine be. My order was for three books, all three were pressed by CFP and two of the three have waves. They didn't have waves when I sent them out. None of my other CBCS books have any waves. I'll contact CBCS on Monday and post any info I find out.
Post 27 IP   flag post
It might be worth sending them back just in case. You never know, there could be a defect in that batch of inner wells that was missed. CBCS would know how to diagnose that, but only if they can physically handle the slabs.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I would also send them back...I know it was 6 months, but echoing darthlego they (cbcs) need to determine if errors/defects in the encapsulation are occurring before getting hit with potentially hundreds more...acting quickly might save a lot of grief and losses (all around). Just saying.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector EricRemillard private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
Just saw this thread and usually would have replied sooner. Been down the last week with the worst case of the flu I have ever experienced. Books being wavy in cases is nothing new. Square bound and certain golden age book exhibit lots of waves from the inner well. If Ted had contacted me directly (maybe he did as I have not been online at all) I would have helped him get his answers. It appears he has been sent in the right direction, but it is nothing to worry about as it usually has no affect on the books condition. If there were rings or foreign objects inside the well, then it would warrant being concerned.

This may be a ridiculous question, but I am still fairly new to having book graded and slabbed as well so I figure I'll ask it anyway. If the waviness is nothing to be concerned about what is the cause of the waves, and how do the waves not damage the book over time?
Post 30 IP   flag post
600457 32 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?