CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Heatseekers comics scam alert18386

Collector dfoster43 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfoster43
OK so from reading this thread I'm going to guess ...

These "Variants" ... so it is that a comic shop will pay some artist to do a cover for an existing comic and then they pay someone to , what ... print it over the comic instead of the normal comic cover?

Am i even close? I am truly not a part of that world, I really do not know exactly these people do ..

So I'm guessing that they then sell these "variants" because they are limited run and people buy them for this reason? Or they like the artist? ... ? the artist signs it so there's autograph value?

Truly sounds like some weird offshoot of an actual legitimate thing like comic book collecting ...

Now The 90's I remember ... now THAT was a time for useless chrome and shiny variants ... never had such crap comics been made with such expensive material to become almost worthless ...

lol...it took almost 40 years but some of those worthless foil books are now worth tens of dollars, even tens of tens in some cases all thanks to movie magic!

Yeah but I'll bet none of mine are. LOL! For years I've spot-checked prices and almost every time walk away wondering "why did I ever buy this? was it the shiny? did i get dazzled by the shiny?"

I have always been a sucker for a lenticular "bend it and wave it and watch it move and change" cover though.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:
OK so from reading this thread I'm going to guess ...

These "Variants" ... so it is that a comic shop will pay some artist to do a cover for an existing comic and then they pay someone to , what ... print it over the comic instead of the normal comic cover?

Am i even close? I am truly not a part of that world, I really do not know exactly these people do ..

So I'm guessing that they then sell these "variants" because they are limited run and people buy them for this reason? Or they like the artist? ... ? the artist signs it so there's autograph value?

Truly sounds like some weird offshoot of an actual legitimate thing like comic book collecting ...

Now The 90's I remember ... now THAT was a time for useless chrome and shiny variants ... never had such crap comics been made with such expensive material to become almost worthless ...

lol...it took almost 40 years but some of those worthless foil books are now worth tens of dollars, even tens of tens in some cases all thanks to movie magic!

Yeah but I'll bet none of mine are. LOL! For years I've spot-checked prices and almost every time walk away wondering "why did I ever buy this? was it the shiny? did i get dazzled by the shiny?"

I have always been a sucker for a lenticular "bend it and wave it and watch it move and change" cover though.

There isn't an emoji for sarcasm that I can find so I went with a big grin
Post 27 IP   flag post
I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user
@dfoster43

How about this??? 🤣🤣

Post 28 IP   flag post
I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user
I think I made the same face above when I heard about AF #1000…
Post 29 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I feel the scummy, deceptive, snake oil, outright scamming has gotten much much worse in the last 15 - 20 years.

Why?
1. The money being thrown around now & the volume of books that have value is much larger now than it was. That invites more douches.
2. CGC/CBCS allow another avenue that was not present prior to that.
3. Social media makes access to be a jackass and do it on a large scale.

I long for the old days of "hey this dealer is a jerk because he has this book listed as Near Mint but its really only VG" or "This dealer/owner color touched this book".

We now have all that we used to have, and plenty plenty plenty more to deal with in 2020.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galen130
@dfoster43

How about this??? 🤣🤣

That seems to work!! 🤣🤣
Post 31 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
3. Social media makes access to be a jackass and do it on a large scale.

And this is how the douchery increased exponentially.
Post 32 IP   flag post
603427 32 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?