Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS EventsCBCS Signature ASPQuestionsSigning Opportunities

New York Comic Con 2022 Thread18384

" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
We tend to overlook that incidents like this are nothing but positive for a creator's career and reputation. It's very possible that she had a manager/handler/publicist who knew exactly what they were doing with the "10 free" plan. Marvel probably has big plans for her.

I immediately considered the publicity and agree. That said, it doesn’t excuse behavior, impact on other fans/attendees and -most importantly- I highly doubt it was her intention.
Post 126 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I used to be one of those that was upset and complained with artists charging; as I was one of those in the "old day" that never paid for one.

I am no longer upset nor will I complain.

The exchange of $$$ between an artist and flipper/fan/degenerate/jackass/whatever puts all poor behaviors in check.
I have seen what "free" does and it is not good. Peach is not the 1st; she won't be the last.

A percentage of people can't behave themselves or be reasonable when anything is free; and that statement is true not just in this hobby.

Side Note: if you don't believe this, put a box of candy out during halloween with instructions to "take 1" and see how that goes
Post 127 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos apparently you’ve missed all the threads in which creators are considered to be stealing because they have the audacity to charge for their signatures. Also, I guess you’ve missed all the threads in which people are mad at creators because they charge more if someone witnesses a book. Loads of them on many comic book forums. Personally, I like the fact that creators charge more for witnessed books. More often than not, if they were a silver or golden aged creator were taken advantage of under the working agreement they produced work. So, they get a pass in my world. They shouldn’t be forced to allow someone else to make money off them. They should be paid for their signature, remark, or drawing as they see fit. Too bad if Joe Flipper get their profit margin eaten into by it.

The VIP that pays for that badge I don’t have an issue with who gets in line first. They paid for that privilege and are playing within the rules of a convention. Well, I would if the pull out a huge pile of books to have signed under a free signing. Like I stated in my other post they are exacerbating the problem and are more than likely thinking “Hey, I got mine.” They are oblivious to the problems they are causing. Total DB move.

The DB’s that scam, beg, steal, borrow, are gifted, or steal a dealers badge when they aren’t paying for a booth really need to be thrown out of conventions. They aren’t operating as the organizer of the convention states they can. My post was more or less a take on them. My apologies for not making that clearer.
Post 128 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos must have been a facilitator or something because on more than one occasion i saw a stack of comics being laid down. A foots worth was obviously hyperbole.

At a point they even started to enact a limit on how many comics could be signed, but then you could also get non comics signed like the infinity gauntlet. It was a poorly managed show.
Post 129 IP   flag post
I wouldn't mind to see the table top gaming area go away, wasted space no one was really using this con, and turn that into the autograph area. This way they can give artist alley some breathing room and expand it into where the autographs were this year and last.

This would atleast help with the line issues. Snyder, Cates, Liefeld all pull large lines which make it hard to navigate through. Surprisingly Claremont had a long line this year, in the past I've walked right up or had to wait a few minutes.

Also I was happy to see the decent size line Sean Gordon Murphy was pulling. His Batman Murphyverse is a fantastic read and the guy is super humble and appreciative.
Post 130 IP   flag post

would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by multi007
The conspiracy theorist in me wonders—

CGC had a private signing event for $60.

Did they send their employees to NYCC to get the books signed for free, only to flip them back to the customer? Lol

I know you're joking but the reality is, according to everything I've read and heard (bunch of reports on YT), she apparently had notices at her table saying the dealers/resellers can't line up early as she wanted to reach her fans first of all. I only heard one person say that so I don't know for sure.

What everyone has said is that well before the doors opening at 10, dealers and resellers were already in a long line. Fighting broke out in that portion of the line, whether it was people getting some signed (I think there was a 10 book max), then getting back in line with more, or just general line-cutting, etc.

I wasn't there. Again, I have only read articles and posts on IG, and listened to 3 or 4 YT videos about this. But if it's anywhere close to accurate, it's ridiculous.

It's horrible she had to endure this. She was being very generous doing this for free, but her husband (who's also her translator), didn't seem to be aware enough of what was happening to then call security over to get things under control. I haven't heard anything about show staff stepping in, and they were likely nearby. Maybe they tried. But these resellers ruined the experience for her and the actual fans who waited hours and had to go without. Ring a bell?

And just like all these other incidents that have occurred, the one name we hear every time, is Whatnot.
Shocker.
Post 131 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros
Whatnot

Bingo!
Post 132 IP   flag post
Collector teacha777 private msg quote post Address this user
I was there on Sunday I didn’t make it that early but I was pissed when I saw she was there but no signatures, I was thinking what about the guys like me that only had a Sunday ticket
Post 133 IP   flag post
How about what creators are charging for witnesses signatures… I feel like they are trying to break the system for some reason and it seems to be working though it was just a one day sample size. I definitely noticed the lines were shorter for the $30 guys.
Post 134 IP   flag post
@teacha777 How about creators that get more to sign certain issues compared to others they have worked on? I’m good with that activity too. BTW, the lines for a certain creator that many on the forum love to dis on weren’t effected by it. The lines were reported to huge in front of that booth every day he was there.

How about creators that refuse to sign certain books or refuse to draw certain characters? Again, I’m good with it. I’m my world, I’m OK with how or why they decide what to grace or limit their signature/remark/drawing upon. If you aren’t then I wish you well in attempting to get Todd McFarlane to sign certain books. It isn’t going to happen. Funny how people still line up in droves for any appearance he makes and don't complain or mouth off to his face when he doesn’t do what they want him to do. 🤔
Post 135 IP   flag post
Mcfarlane signatures were free, but Rob Liefelds wasn’t and his line was pretty long but I think dwindled down faster then other cons
Post 136 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
New York is a big show with big creators and people want them to sign their most valuable books.

Some people even want to get them graded or even to sell the books.

These big shows get crowded and people in crowds sometimes tend to forget their manners.

No one is forcing you to attend.

Instead of getting your panties in a bunch about what other people are doing maybe you should just find smaller shows where there is more of a comic community and less people chasing big signatures from actors or tip artists.

The last two New York Comic Con shows have been less crowded and more laid back than any time in the last several years due to covid restrictions.
Post 137 IP   flag post
@drchaos Does “sometimes forget their manners” excuses those that go outside what convention organizers polices are, i.e., those that misuse the vendor badges or should that be frowned upon and action be taken against them and those that supply them with those badges?
Post 138 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacha777
Mcfarlane signatures were free

Not when he does witness signings. Either way he won’t sign certain books and people accept it.
Post 139 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
@drchaos Does “sometimes forget their manners” excuses those that go outside what convention organizers polices are, i.e., those that misuse the vendor badges or should that be frowned upon and action be taken against them and those that supply them with those badges?

You poor sad little man.

Just a dog that can't let go of a bone.

Vendors pay a huge amount of money to get a booth at NYCC.

How they use the extremely low number of badges they receive is up to them.

Perhaps if you were to take the time to build relationships and spend tens of thousands of dollars with one of them you might get a vendor badge for yourself to use.

I started this thread to share information with the members of this forum.

I volunteered some valuable information that I could have kept to myself.

Your opinion about how people should behave at cons and which attendees should get their way is not the law.

Who are you to tell us what the organizers of the show believe to be true?

Apparently people on Peach Momoko's line were pushing and shoving. While the people using physical violence may have been whining about what badges other people may have had it does not make them right.
Post 140 IP   flag post
It was nice to see at the McFarlane signing that he randomly did little spawn head remarques.

I'm hoping one day for him to sign something as "Toddfather" a guy can dream.
Post 141 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos

You poor sad little man.

If I wrote that you were a “sad little man” I’ pretty sure it would be reported that I “disparaged” or was “demeaning” to another member and be viewed as a personal attack. I’d bet that the thread would get locked and I’d get a vacation too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos

Perhaps if you were to take the time to build relationships and spend tens of thousands of dollars with one of them you might get a vendor badge for yourself to use.

ROFLMAO, it’s like your post is littered with comments that you believe will or expect me to react to in a way that will get me a vacation. 🤔

From your post it appears that you took offense to me having an opinion that vendor badges shouldn’t be given out or sold by booth holders to people that aren’t a part of that renters organization. (What’s interesting is that I had no idea that you went to that convention using a vendor badge in that way or in some way that you seem to have construed my comments to be a slight to you.. I don’t know you from Adam, nor intend to.) I will email a couple of larger conventions and ask what their policies are in reference to that type of activity or if they have written policies in it. I’ll start a thread about it once I get some information on it.
Post 142 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
NYCC cosplay

Post 143 IP   flag post
There's was one year in baltimore - I think the one prior to pandemic,, that vendors were sent to back of line at walt simonsons table. I know this for sure because I was there on the line watching folks in front of me, end up in back of me
Post 144 IP   flag post
600891 144 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?