Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeGrading Help NeededQuestions

Newton Ring Help18382

Collector Sundog private msg quote post Address this user
Hey all,

I know this is CBCS forums, but I feel more at home here than CGC. I just got this book back from CGC and found some newton rings. I'm still somewhat new to slabs. Does this newton merit a reslab? Does this hurt the book overall? Should I contact the company?

Thanks so much

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector ichipork private msg quote post Address this user
That looks bad enough to warrant a reholder. You must email them the request, along with pictures for evidence, within 10 days of receiving your slab.

CGC should give you a label for sending it back for free. Good luck.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector obiwan1971 private msg quote post Address this user
Does it hurt the book? No.
Would some people not want to buy it? Yes
You can have it re-slabbed or you can submit to cbcs which will re-grade it and slab it. Cbcs slabs don’t have newton rings
Post 3 IP   flag post
I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user
Newton Rings technically don't hurt the book inside the holder, but when it looks like a water puddle, it is obviously very unattractive. I would contact them about it and ask for a reholder under 'Mechanical' (I think). You'll probably need the photos you took to justify the reholder.

Newton Rings are accepted as 'normal', but what you have there is unacceptable. Be aware, though...with CGC's current run (2 to 3 years) of less than adequate comic book handling, that comic may come back with new problems. Take pictures of every angle of that comic so that you can compare when it comes back. I don't submit comics anymore, but I'd be nervous sending it back. Just my opinion.

Good luck!!!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Sundog private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you for the info. It's a PC book so I think I will re-slab it via CBCS in the future. Really sucks that it came out that way. It was one of those 9.8 pre-sale books for sale before the book comes out.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Do the CGC slabs still have the small gap on the side? in the past you could cut a strip of back board and slide it in to help break up the rings....which totally aren't a problem
Post 6 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
@Sundog
Sadly, CGC will not re-slab free-of-charge for Newton rings, or at least they wouldn't last time I checked. Yours is massive, though, so I'd contact them anyway and see what they say.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by obiwan1971
Cbcs slabs don’t have newton rings

Actually, they can have Newton rings (I have a couple that have them), but they're rare and really tiny compared to the ones you get with CGC slabs. I think the biggest Newton ring I have in a CBCS slab is the size of a dime.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Do the CGC slabs still have the small gap on the side? in the past you could cut a strip of back board and slide it in to help break up the rings....which totally aren't a problem

That gap has been tightened up overall, but I hear people still do it if they are able. I don't bother because it's no guarantee that the rings will come all the way out. Sometimes, they just pop back after a few days.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector schmoff private msg quote post Address this user
are we talking about what looks like air bubbles or what looks like an oil slick rainbow effect?

i have had both defects in the past and was wondering about what looks like air pockets on a turkish variant i have since the size of the book is smaller it has what looks like air pockets?
Post 10 IP   flag post
@schmoff
The oily-looking rainbow effect is a Newton ring. That happens sometimes when two dissimilar pieces of plastic come in contact with each other. Not sure if the air bubbles you're describing are the same thing or not. Do you have a photo of it?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmoff
are we talking about what looks like air bubbles or what looks like an oil slick rainbow effect?

i have had both defects in the past and was wondering about what looks like air pockets on a turkish variant i have since the size of the book is smaller it has what looks like air pockets?
the “Newton rings” show most commonly as “oily” and sometimes as you describe “air pockets”. Like Byrdi said the 2 pieces of plastic are in contact creating the effect. The only “fix” would be a reholder, but not a guarantee. IDK why CGC has not or cannot resolve Newton rings. It’s not a problem for CBCS or PGX; what gives?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector IraK private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like you got double banged Newton rings & Pudding. Maybe I'm wrong it could be just the way the picture came out. I see a reholder regardless in the future.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
It’s not a problem for CBCS or PGX; what gives?

That's the big question. They even re-jiggered their cases not that long ago and they still have Newton rings! You'd think getting rid of those, or at least lessening them, would have been a goal. They really Really look bad.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
thats the worst newton ring Ive ever seen. I mean a little one...ok but how does CGC think thats acceptable? this is why cbcs is probably the better option. they make mistakes but not as often as cgc

but as suggested contacted them to do a free reholder.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Is creep engine still a thing with CGC slabs?

I mean...rings are horrible looking but at least it doesn't destroy the book while inside the case!!
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Quote:

That's the big question. They even re-jiggered their cases not that long ago and they still have Newton rings! You'd think getting rid of those, or at least lessening them, would have been a goal. They really Really look bad.

lol...what can you do?? use another company!!! - laughable!! CGC has a white back ground behind their grade, therefore, better!!

OR..... I suppose one could grade invisible comics to ensure no newton rings!!
Post 17 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@Sundog - Ooof. from the photo, it almost looks like Puddling, but thankfully, it isn't. Unless they have recently changed policy, the won't re-slab that without a fee and even then, no guarantee you don't have the same problem or worse.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:
Quote:

lol...what can you do?? use another company!!! - laughable!! CGC has a white back ground behind their grade, therefore, better!!

OR..... I suppose one could grade invisible comics to ensure no newton rings!!

Im still waiting for them to send back my invisible amazing fatnasty #15 signed by Stan Lee, Steve Ditko and Jack Kirby all using an invisible ink pen
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
Newton Rings are the main reason I won't use CGC, moreso because they refuse to correct the design flaw that allows them
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABitEvil
Newton Rings are the main reason I won't use CGC, moreso because they refuse to correct the design flaw that allows them

That's what I don't get. CBCS and even PGX have minimal-to-no Newton rings, so it's not like it's impossible to get at least some improvement. Why in the heck don't they do it?
Post 21 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundog
Hey all,

I know this is CBCS forums, but I feel more at home here than CGC. I just got this book back from CGC and found some newton rings. I'm still somewhat new to slabs. Does this newton merit a reslab? Does this hurt the book overall? Should I contact the company?

I would contact them. They'll want pictures. They'll decide if it's bad enough to reslab. It's not an automatic "no".

If it's for the PC and you don't need your labels to match, and don't care about resale value, CBCS makes a much nicer slab.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABitEvil

That's what I don't get. CBCS and even PGX have minimal-to-no Newton rings, so it's not like it's impossible to get at least some improvement. Why in the heck don't they do it?

they tried a while ago but then created the creep engine problem! basically the front and back of the case would flex in and out and cause the book inside to slowly ripple like an accordion!!!!

but yes....buy few CBCS slabs pull them apart - measure everything and duplicate!!
Post 23 IP   flag post
600776 23 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?