Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Movies Television

Rings of Power Discussion *SPOILERS*18334

CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
I watched the first two episodes last night. The CGI is unequaled. Absolutely beautiful to watch.

I'm having to allow them a lot of liberties in the lore. I dont know if the writers ever actually read the source material. I like what they're doing, but they are chronologically lost.

I have a feeling i know who the mysterious stranger is going to be. If it is, i may be done with the show. That may take me completely out of it.

Sorry, i sound like a curmudgeon yelling at kids in his yard. šŸ˜†

I like the show, i just want them to be a little more faithful to the amazing source material. They paid good money for it, why not use it?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector lawguy1977 private msg quote post Address this user
Iā€™m in the opposite camp, but I donā€™t know any of the lore. Iā€™ve only read LOTR and the Hobbit, and I havenā€™t read them for about 30 years. I love the production, and so far Iā€™m interested in where the different storylines are going. The scenes with Durin were my favorite so far.
Post 2 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I only read the Hobbit and LOTR as well and it was also over 30 years ago. Its hard to seperate my memories of the books and the Peter Jackson films.

I'm very much enjoying the first two episodes. I'm thinking that meteor man is one of the 5 wizards, maybe Saruman but that's just a guess.
Post 3 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
I have enjoyed it thoroughly thus far. I count it a positive that I havenā€™t read the original stories knowing the TV adaptations will be far different.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@lawguy1977 Oh I totally understand. If they were following the lore, I'm 100% in on this series. I kinda wish I was less familiar with the lore because I sat there nit picking it. There's plenty of story there for them to make a series from without having to make things up or rearrange the timeline. I think they were worried that they paid so much for the rights that the bean counters felt compelled to use their one true big character in fear of losing the audience who don't know the lore.

Whatever. I want to love this series. I'm hopeful so far.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Apparently, I am easily annoyed. Rbolton private msg quote post Address this user
I also wish they would stick closer to the original lore, that being said, I really enjoyed the first two episodes. My thoughts on after seeing the stranger converse with t the fireflies is that they might be pointing towards Gandalf. Could be totally wrong though. Lawguy1977, I enjoyed the scenes with Durin as well.
Post 6 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbolton
I also wish they would stick closer to the original lore, that being said, I really enjoyed the first two episodes. My thoughts on after seeing the stranger converse with t the fireflies is that they might be pointing towards Gandalf. Could be totally wrong though. Lawguy1977, I enjoyed the scenes with Durin as well.

I thought Galdalf too because I think there's also a "tree bending" scene if I saw that correctly and isn't that related to Gandalf?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Apparently, I am easily annoyed. Rbolton private msg quote post Address this user
I believe that to be correct
Post 8 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Only one episode in and too early to draw firm conclusions, but:
1) we will keep watching
2) production value is very good
3) story is holding interest so far
4) seems like it wonā€™t match Jacksonā€™s trilogy (but that is a very high bar)

Iā€™ll say that while we are much further into The Sandman, the Rings of Power looks like the better series. We will likely watch both to conclusion. They are as near ā€œmuch see TVā€ as it getsā€¦
Post 9 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
Celebrate the darkness...

Post 10 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I learned a long time ago to not expect movies to follow the plot line laid out in books. I've saved myself a lot of headaches over the years by doing that. I tell myself that the movie is an "alternate reality" interpretation of the book(s). Timelines, histories, lore, characters and even the worlds that are laid out in literature often do not lend themselves to visual media.

So, with that, I'm thoroughly enjoying the "Rings of Power"!!! I like the character development, the cgi and the storyline so far. I'm glad that it's not entirely predictable. I'm looking forward to this series!!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbolton

I thought Galdalf too because I think there's also a "tree bending" scene if I saw that correctly and isn't that related to Gandalf?

I also believe it's Gandalf, which is my issue. This series is set a few thousand years before Gandalf arrives. I feel they're putting him in just because he is a familiar face that will get views.

The Istari are not Sent to Middle Earth until about 1000 years after Sauron has the ring of power cut from his hand. At this point in the series Sauron hasn't even appeared. There are thousands of years to go before he even loses the ring.

For what it's worth, my wife sometimes hates watching stuff like this with me. I'm like a live version of Mystery Science Theater. šŸ˜†
Post 12 IP   flag post
SteveRicketts, Iā€™m with ya!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Morgd120 private msg quote post Address this user
ROP was never intended to be a translation of the Silmarillion.. itā€™s a loose reimagining, chill out. Weā€™re lucky we got any movies/series at all. If you want authenticity, read the books.. The Tolkien estate is being very well compensated..

P.S. I have read and listen to all of the books countless times.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Ok. Since no one is saying it, I will. I think the stranger is Sauron.
Post 15 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I think these 1st 2 episodes were top notch.
As with others, I read 30+ years ago so continuity and closeness to Tolkien is not something I'd notice or not notice.

I'm taking the show as is and I love it so far... story... effects... execution... action... etc
Post 16 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Episode 1 opening sequence...she is gathering helmets in the middle of a muddy battle field....her white dress has not a spot on it

THAT is the most incredulous thing a few minutes in!!!
Post 17 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O

I like this and hope youā€™re right. Gandalf is too easy. The fireflies dying in his presence is certainly ominous.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Morgd120 private msg quote post Address this user
Tom Bombadil?
Post 19 IP   flag post
If it IS Sauron, it wouldn't surprise me if they don't reveal that until the end of the season. In fact, he may even seem like a "good guy" until then.
Post 20 IP   flag post
End of episode 1... Superman???
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:

I'm OK with this. Please just don't let it be a wizard.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgd120
Tom Bombadil?

Oh, please don't let this be true.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Is it possible he could be a Balrog/Maiar spirit?
Post 24 IP   flag post
It's Smaug in disguise
Post 25 IP   flag post
When she is swimming in the ocean....where does she store her knife??
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
When she is swimming in the ocean....where does she store her knife??

It's a floating knife; just like the little paper boat she made. Even her stones float
Post 27 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
Quote:

I'm OK with this. Please just don't let it be a wizard.

I'm betting it's Sauron. When they panned back from the crater, it looked like an eye with him in the middle of it. Plus, if evil was always ugly, it would be easy to spot.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Overall, it's okay. A C+ story stretched over A+ scenery.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Okay the man who fell to earth probably is a wizard and the kid with sword becomes a vessel for Sauron or one of his lieutenants. Late night ramblings.
Post 30 IP   flag post
598059 165 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?