Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
MemorabiliaPop Culture

Oh lord, we were so young and naive......18312

The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Here we are with the millionth comic graded by CGC.

Mark Haspel (VP at the time) and Paul Litch (Grader at the time) with some dumb clown who was the President at the time.

Thought we were going to help save the comic hobby and help our great community. Never thought about how it was really going to take such a weird turn so many years later

Thought you all might get a kick out of this picture.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Like Einstein splitting the atom.
Post 2 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Whatcha holding there? Lol

Post 3 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
@sborock Memories....
Post 4 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
For what its worth, you saved me a lot of headaches and money because I don't know how to grade myself. Regaless of the path it took, there was some positive things that occurred...
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Cowabunga_Kyle private msg quote post Address this user
Back in the day when I was young I'm not a kid anymore...
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector doozerdoo1 private msg quote post Address this user
Awesome Picture Steve. I remember those older days well. Specifically 2 Wizard World shows in Philly from around the turn of the century. You were doing on site grading, met you early with some Golden Age books for grading. You gave me & my pal a tour of the back room & showed us the set up, same the following year ,remember you being white as ghost from all the grading on Sunday afternoon. Take Care - Joe

P.S. Will you be at NYCC this year??!!
Post 7 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
at the time you guys did wonders for comic collectors. I mean before cgc. if a collector wanted to keep a valuable comic in good condition and display it. Theyd bag and board it. as a kid I used to think if a comic was....then it was worth a lot of money

cgc was for a time the only way to truely preserve a comic and then the best one to so...but now have more headaches and issues with returns. But CGC still has prestiege and will forever be the first of its kind.

btw who's idea to create a service and how did the idea come about?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by doozerdoo1

P.S. Will you be at NYCC this year??!!

Can't make it this year Joe
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector desslocktx private msg quote post Address this user
Those were the days, my friend.
We thought they'd never end.
We'd sing and dance forever and a day..
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by power_struggle55

NGC, at the time (1998) was/is a very successful coin grading service and wanted to get into another collectible. John Maben at NGC played around with collecting and buying/selling comics for a short time in his younger days and suggested that they try comics. The rest is history.

If I ever get the time, I would love to chronicle the history of certification and the great stories (some bad ones as well) from my tenures at CGC and CBCS. Heck, maybe I will start a thread and just post when I can. It would be a heck of a long thread with so many posts though.....
Post 11 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@sborock

I'd subscribe. I'd love to read it personally.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector ThreeSeas private msg quote post Address this user
I always like reading about the history of our hobby. Maybe the next book could be titled "All in Color for a Dollar" or something similar lol. I've read "All in Color for Dime" and a couple of other books about our hobby and am always interested in stories about this hobby.
Post 13 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock
Quote:

NGC, at the time (1998) was/is a very successful coin grading service and wanted to get into another collectible. John Maben at NGC played around with collecting and buying/selling comics for a short time in his younger days and suggested that they try comics. The rest is history.

If I ever get the time, I would love to chronicle the history of certification and the great stories (some bad ones as well) from my tenures at CGC and CBCS. Heck, maybe I will start a thread and just post when I can. It would be a heck of a long thread with so many posts though.....

I say do that! I would read the hell out of that thread!
Post 14 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
same. You could publish a book...or at least self publish. Id buy it. have a book about the creation of New York Comic Con written by one its co-founders (my grandma is a good friend of him). a book about the history of cgc could be simular
Post 15 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Would love that if you did. 👍
Post 16 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
cgc was for a time the only way to truely preserve a comic

This was never true.
Post 17 IP   flag post
From when we graded the All-American #16 Church Copy.

Post 18 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with others here, I'd read a book about your experiences. If only you knew someone who has published a book .... hhhhmmmmm LOL
Post 19 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

That would make for interesting reads and give us all something to chat about.
Like the pic of you, Mark & John with that awesomeness he is holding....
Uuuumm, more please....
Post 20 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
It would be a heck of a long thread with so many posts though.....

Yeah, but what a story!
Post 21 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by figment
Quote:
It would be a heck of a long thread with so many posts though.....

Yeah, but what a story!

I agree!

@sborock please do it! It would be THE go to thread.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearmint67

Like the pic of you, Mark & John with that awesomeness he is holding....

I miss John so very much! We used to spend hours and hours on the phone late at night discussing comics, family, comics, friends, comics, the state of our hobby, comics, politics, and comics, comics, comics.

Treasure the moments we have with each other in this great hobby, I have lost too many "comic" friends over the years and our hobby seems to have a little less light to me now because of those great hobbyists and creators who are no longer with us....
Post 23 IP   flag post
Back in the day looking over a list to pick books from that were worthy of sending into CGC. The great Brett Carreras (VA Comic Con) was uncertain about using CGC at the time, as we were a new company, so I helped him decide what would be best to get graded. He told me that I picked well and he made some good scratch!
BTW....He followed me to CBCS and is still one of CBCS's largest submitters!

Post 24 IP   flag post
598060 24 24
This topic is archived. Start new topic?