Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeGrading Help NeededQuestions

Batman Adventures 12 Staple Question18305

Collector mini_tb private msg quote post Address this user
Hello all,

I'm new here. I collected comics from 1992-1997 and am the proud owner of a large collection of mostly worthless comics. Or at least I thought they were all worthless. While researching easy ways to dump my collection in the last couple weeks, I learned about Batman Adventures #12 and have what appears to be a really nice copy.

I pulled it out of storage and snapped three quick pictures (outside on the sidewalk) of the cover and shared them with a friend. Took me awhile to figure it out, but the weird discoloration on the one image is the reflection of the clouds on the bag.

Anyhoo, I've never done anything grading-wise with comics, so I am completely new to this. My friend says the lower staple being misplaced will likely drop it to a 9.4. What do people think here? Just curious.

Thank you for your time!

Post 1 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
That's news to me. I thought it didn't have an effect on the grade unless the staple is rusted, bent, or there are minor tears on the cover from staple pull.

Looks like a great copy. I hope you get it pressed and cleaned by a reputable presser and get a higher grade than expected.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
That's news to me. I thought it didn't have an effect on the grade unless the staple is rusted, bent, or there are minor tears on the cover from staple pull.

Looks like a great copy. I hope you get it pressed and cleaned by a reputable presser and get a higher grade than expected.

I'm with @flanders - pretty sure that will have no effect - great copy!!!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
@mini_tb
That is a sweet copy, and a newsstand edition as well! The staple shouldn't be a problem just because it's a little mis-aligned. That would just prevent the book from getting a crazy-high grade like 9.9 or 10 (correct me if I'm wrong, folks). I would definitely send that in for a press-and-grade.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Looks like I need to get a crash course on pressing and cleaning! Would people recommend starting with some "lesser" issues before committing this one?

I'll have to get a look at the back cover and pages. The top left corner appeared to be the only one with any flaw, and that one looks very minor.
Post 5 IP   flag post
"There, their, they're." GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome to the forum!

Manufacturing errors do not impact grade so misaligned staples are fine. That looks like a great copy. Assuming the interior and back resemble the cover in condition, you have a mid to higher 9 grade...9.4/9.6 perhaps...hesitant to say higher than 9.6 from a 1 sided picture.

I'd get it pressed and graded for sure. Awesome book!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Travis private msg quote post Address this user
Yup looks like a good one to me the kids go crazy of the Jokers gf these days slab that baby up start slab collecting but it can be addictive
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
it can be addictive

Yes, it can! Welcome to the club.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
Yup looks like a good one to me the kids go crazy of the Jokers gf these days slab that baby up start slab collecting but it can be addictive

I'm not looking to get back into collecting. I'm going in the opposite direction - looking to unload pretty much my entire collection - including the Batman comic. I just happened to read a few articles online about sought after 90s issues recently and stumbled across this issue.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Noblebeast315 private msg quote post Address this user
@mini_tb PM sent. If you are selling I might as well make an ask. 😁

Not for the Batman book though… to rich for my blood. Like folks said though it is a very nice copy and your best bet is to get it graded before selling. The money you will make off that book will make you feel just dandy for whatever else you can make of the others.
Post 10 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
What are you asking for it?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
The staple placement won’t affect the grade as long it is from manufacturing. You have a very nice copy. From what I can see you a nice 9.6/9.8 candidate. It is also a newsstand and can command a premium over the “direct edition”. 9.8 graded copies have sold above $1k. A graded newsstand 9.8 could easily surpass those sales. Personally (if I could afford it) I’d press and grade that one. Even a 9.4 or 9.6 (any grade really) would be well worth it.

You’d be surprised how many those worthless 90s book are not so worthless.

If you need a quick way out on your collection; feel free to post here and you could also contact Steve Borock at My Comic Shop (Lone Star Comics) to see if they’d interested in acquiring your collection. Of course you would not get top dollar from MCS, but you’d be rid of them without having to deal with valuing and listing on your own. You could also consign more valuable books with MCS and others who will take care of everything for you minus consignment fees.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte

Can't say for sure at this point. A lot more than a few weeks ago! I'd have given it away then!
Post 13 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@mini_tb

When / if you decide to sell. Post up your request. Inquiring minds are....curious.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
it looks like pretty good condition. if you do sell...there will be plenty of potental buyers here
Post 15 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_tb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte

Can't say for sure at this point. A lot more than a few weeks ago! I'd have given it away then!

You are in a state of R.E.M. It's still a few weeks ago!

I'll PM you my address.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector ticktocktyler private msg quote post Address this user
Keep the book. Unless they completely botch Harley Quinn, that book will only become more coveted and valuable. I personally wouldn't send it to be graded at this point. Just put it somewhere cool, dark and dry and grade it at some point in the future.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticktocktyler
Keep the book. Unless they completely botch Harley Quinn, that book will only become more coveted and valuable. I personally wouldn't send it to be graded at this point. Just put it somewhere cool, dark and dry and grade it at some point in the future.
when it will cost more to have graded?
Post 18 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
Quote:

Exactly. Grade it now. Keep it if you want to keep it. Being graded will make it easier to sell for top dollar when you want to liquidate.
Post 19 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
with the HBOmax show, both suicide squad movies and Birds of Prey...and her being in Joker 2..can she be any higher?
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
You have a very nice copy. If your collection is from the 90s then you may have some more treasures hidden in it and if your other books are in as nice of condition you may have some stuff worth grading.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
You're probably going to get a bunch of low-ball offers so I'd suggest you do a little research on your books before someone tries to rip you off.
Post 22 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE_DE
You're probably going to get a bunch of low-ball offers so I'd suggest you do a little research on your books before someone tries to rip you off.

Have more faith in the forum. Also, no one is going to make a reasonable offer without seeing more photos out of the bag, including multiple photos of the back cover. I'd suggest taking them inside instead of on a sidewalk outdoors.
Post 23 IP   flag post
id buy it but dont think id have enough to make a non insulting offer
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by power_struggle55
id buy it but dont think id have enough to make a non insulting offer

Same page here. Exact same page.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Who cares? The value will far outstrip the grading price. Or NEVER have it graded. it's a#12. By the look of it around a 9.4 or 9.6.
Post 26 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Who cares? The value will far outstrip the grading price. Or NEVER have it graded. it's a#12. By the look of it around a 9.4 or 9.6.

9.4 max is my guess. Top spine.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Quote:

Exactly. Grade it now. Keep it if you want to keep it. Being graded will make it easier to sell for top dollar when you want to liquidate.

Sure. Like it will be difficult to sell ungraded. I can almost feel some forum members here jumping out of their skin at the possibility of buying the book. LOL!
Post 28 IP   flag post
"There, their, they're." GAC private msg quote post Address this user
No mention of difficulty selling it raw....but it certainly will be easier to sell it slabbed and for more money than raw.....if that book keeps going up in value as you say, then Yes, it will be more expensive to grade later. The smart move is to grade it now and sell it when he feels like it.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Quote:

Sure. Like it will be difficult to sell ungraded. I can almost feel some forum members here jumping out of their skin at the possibility of buying the book. LOL!
😴
Post 30 IP   flag post
615415 31 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?