Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Pop CultureQuestions

Mjolnir vs Stormbreaker18298

I award you no points… stanley_1883 private msg quote post Address this user
Stormbreaker or Mjolnir? Is one a “better” weapon? Just had a thought, wanted expert opinions?

I think Stormbreaker could be more effective but as a “mightier” weapon, I’m old school and am inclined towards Mjolnir.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley_1883
Stormbreaker or Mjolnir? Is one a “better” weapon? Just had a thought, wanted expert opinions?

I think Stormbreaker could be more effective but as a “mightier” weapon, I’m old school and am inclined towards Mjolnir.

Norwegian by ancestry, I learned my mythology from my grandparents. I have to cast my vote for Mjolnir, the hammer created by dwarves Brokk & Sindri in response to Loki bragging about the skills of another dwarven smith. One ability that Mjolnir has and Stormbreaker probably lacks (I have yet to read all the books Stormbreaker appears in, so I may have missed something) is the ability to bless/consecrate.
Post 2 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Finally!

Someone who appreciates Norse mythology and not by means of MCU.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte @Byrdibyrd I'm of Norwegian and German ancestry (50/50). My vote is also for Mjolnir for the same reasons as Byrdibyrd. I think both Bronte and Byrdibyrd will appreciate the doorknocker I had installed for my room.

Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
Finally!

Someone who appreciates Norse mythology and not by means of MCU.

I always made sure my grandparents didn't have to hear about Marvel Norse Pantheon. They would have had a cow. I've rolled my eyes quite a bit myself, though I did really appreciate the greater accuracy that Walt Simonson brought to Thor during his run.

Here's a question: I know Sleipnir appeared in Thor (comic), but I'm not recalling if they fudged his ancestry or just didn't mention it. I can practically guarantee they would never Reveal the Shocking Truth on that one...
Post 5 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O
That is Spectacular!! That would be on my door in a heartbeat.

I'm Norwegian on one side and Danish/Celtic on the other. Vikings all over and some dudes who kicked Imperial Rome's tail thrown in for good measure.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I award you no points… stanley_1883 private msg quote post Address this user
@Byrdibyrd Can I now pick your brain on all things Norse? Please?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley_1883
@Byrdibyrd Can I now pick your brain on all things Norse? Please?

I don't know it all (that would be my grandparents - RIP), but I can do what I can.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O as @Byrdibyrd stated, that doorknocker is spectacular.

BTW... what the heck is Stormbreaker?... never heard of it. Is that another hammer?
Post 9 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I think it's a big double bladed axe.
Post 10 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@Pre_Coder

Yes. It is a hammer that was created in infinity war movie, and or the hammer that beta Ray Bill used that Odin created for him. I think in comics
Post 11 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O

Awesome door knocker. Where did you get it? Too bad it would prolly get stolen if I installed at my house.... =(
Post 12 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Here's a question: I know Sleipnir appeared in Thor (comic), but I'm not recalling if they fudged his ancestry or just didn't mention it. I can practically guarantee they would never Reveal the Shocking Truth on that one...

It looks like they didn't at first, and then got more accurate in 2009 in a "pets" handbook.

Post 13 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Storm breaker sounds like a nick name for the guy that was dating Ororo Munroe.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not really a Thor guy. Does Stormbreaker have that 'only those that are worthy' thing?
Post 15 IP   flag post
@JustThatGuy

I dont read comics, but wasn't that black panther?
Post 16 IP   flag post
@Gaard

In mcu I don't think so. In comics I don't think enchantment was there either....
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
@Pre_Coder

Yes. It is a hammer that was created in infinity war movie, and or the hammer that beta Ray Bill used that Odin created for him. I think in comics

I believe Stormbreaker was created in Thor #339.
Post 18 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Origin
Stormbreaker came into creation following the fight between Thor and Beta Ray Bill at Skartheim. After the battle, Bill began to feel guilt over his victory, now feeling that Mjolnir was Thor's by right. In a compromise, as Bill fairly won the battle, Odin had the Dwarves of Nidavellir create a new hammer made for the cyborg Korbonite warrior, crafted from the same Uru metal as Mjolnir. With the assistance of Eitri and other dwarf blacksmiths, they forged Stormbreaker.[1]

Stormbreaker from Thor Vol 1 339.jpg
Taking Stormbreaker from the Furnaces of Nidavellir
Following a battle against Surtur's demon army, Odin then bestowed upon it another enchantment: by striking the hammer down on the ground, Bill was able to return to his true, mortal Korbinite self. This in turn took away the '60 second rule' from Mjolnir, though it is never made quite clear if Stormbreaker has the same rule as well.[2]

For a brief period of time, Stormbreaker and Bill became endowed with cosmic powers, given to them by the Silver Surfer, as a means to save Bill's life. This physically changed the hammer's appearance to that of an axe-like weapon with a hole in the center. This outside power source was necessary, for Yggdrasill was failing at the time, and the power of the Odinforce would not be around to sustain Bill's powers in the near future.[3] Under unknown circumstances, both Bill and Stormbreaker returned to their normal, Odinpowered appearances sometime later.[4]

When Beta Ray Bill was captured by the Skrulls, they separated Stormbreaker into two, axe-like halves as weapon for the Super-Skrull that was sent to kill the gods of Asgard. How the Skrulls were able to circumvent the worthiness is still a mystery, but the Skrull was able to reforge the halves back into one whole weapon, hurling it towards the town of Broxton in an attempt to destroy it. After catching the hammer mere moments before it could hit the town, Thor returned Stormbreaker to its rightful once again.[5]

Thor Odinson (Earth-616) and Beta Ray Bill (Earth-616) from Thor Vol 6 3 001.png
Thor destroys Stormbreaker
During a conflict between Beta Ray Bill and Thor, who had been turned into an Herald of Galactus, Bill prevented Mjolnir from returning to its bearer's hand. Seeing no options to reach an agreement, Thor called Stormbreaker and destroyed it by hitting it against Mjolnir.

clickable text
Post 19 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Mjolnir wins.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O
That second origin is on the money, but that first one seems to be mixed in with a bit of mythology behind Thor's two goats that pull his cart. Tannsgrisnir and Tanngnjostr not only pulled the cart, but also offered a tasty repast at the end of the day. They could be slaughtered and eaten each day and then would resurrect each morning. One time, Thor stopped for the evening at a peasant's hovel and in return for lodging he treated everyone a fine meal of goat. His one condition was that no one was to break the bones of the goats when they were finished stripping the meat off. One of the peasant boys, though, cracked a leg bone to get at the marrow. Next morning, one of Thor's goats was lame and Thor was none too pleased as he knew exactly how that happens. In return for Thor's forgiveness, the peasants give him the naughty boy as a servant. That is how Thor got his manservant, Thjalfi.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustThatGuy

Yikes
Post 22 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Sounds almost like a Deep Purple album.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
Quote:

Sounds almost like a Deep Purple album.

Yes!!!

Post 24 IP   flag post
@GAC I knew you were gonna show that pic.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
@GAC I knew you were gonna show that pic.

Cheers brother!!! Long live the mighty DP!! 🤘
Post 26 IP   flag post
Saw Deep Purple in concert a few years ago (pre-COVID). Freakin' excellent concert! They put on an amazing show. See them if you get the chance.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Saw Deep Purple in concert a few years ago (pre-COVID). Freakin' excellent concert! They put on an amazing show. See them if you get the chance.

Awesome!! I have not seen them...they're definitely a bucket list band.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

Awesome!! I have not seen them...they're definitely a bucket list band.

Do it! They don't sound like old-timey rockers AT ALL! They blasted that venue, so bring your earplugs.
Post 29 IP   flag post
RIP Jon Lord

Sorry to OT the thread. This is about hammers.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600776 39 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?